Trying to finalize what I need for my upgrade tank and some advice on moving to the new tank.

Geoology

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a long post as I have a few questions to finish getting my new set up ready.

First I have purchased a Innovative marine 100 ext tank with the stand. I plan on using my trigger platinum 26 sump from my existing set up. I currently have purchased 2 xr15's, 2 mp40's and vectra m2 return. Other items that will come over from my existing set up will be my apex and my adverst marine kalk stirrer.

I would like to purchase a new skimmer and am looking at a reef octopus regal 150sss my question is would the elite be worth the extra money or will I get similar performance out of the regal.

I also want to add better reactors to the system since I will have more room under the tank for them I am thinking about a carbon/gfo and a bio pellet that will sit nicely next to the sump. What brand you recommend that has matching reactors. I am looking at the reef octopus because the have the union fittings to make it easy to remove and clean. I also would like to add a dc pump to run them. What would be a small footprint that will run both of them and the best way to plum them.

As far as moving the current set up to the new. Do I just set the tank up and move the rocks and live stock. Or should I set up the tank with the new dry rock that I am putting in the tank and let it cycle on its own before I move everything.

One question I have about the lights is the tank is 48" and not sure if the 2 xr15's will be enough. It will be a mixed reef with only a few sps. Also I have kessil's on the current set up and really like the shimmer. If the xr15's does not have enough shimmer is there anything I can add or is just adding a kessil.

thank you for reading and any advice is much appreciated.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't give you a good opinion on the Regal vs. the Elite, other than Reef Octopus is a good brand. If you want a really great skimmer, this one is apparently awesome:

If you end up going with the Reef Octopus for the skimmer I'd probably stick with that for the reactors. The best way to run those is with a manifold. Most will run that on a separate smaller pump (like a Sicce or Vectra S2). This also gives you the option to run a UV sterilizer off the manifold as well should you so desire.

I haven't had great success with bio pellets and I prefer Nyos Zeo rocks now in my reactor.

In terms of the big move, buy an appropriate amount of Bio-Spira for the new tank, get the new tank setup, add your sand, new rock, saltwater and make sure everything is tested and running.

Add the Bio-Spira, turn the protein skimmer off for a day then move your rocks, corals, fish and inverts across. Voila. Insta-cycle in the new tank.

You may be ok with a pair of XR15s (they have around 24" of coverage). They do have a nice subtle shimmer.

warpdrvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question that fits nicely into this thread. I, too am moving to a bigger, better tank. Am I able to use my existing substrate in the new tank or should I get all new substrate and do a fishless cycle with Dr Tims or something similar? I do have Carib Sea rock that I am moving to the new tank, along with some new rock work to add as well. Moving from an 80 to a 125. I will need to house the fish and corals in something like a rubbermaid tub for the day or 2 I will need to move the old tank out and set up the new one. I'm doing as many unions on the plumbing as possible so I can do all the plumbing work in the garage, glue it, leak test it, then just take apart as needed and reassemble when the new tank gets moved in. This is the first time I've ever moved a tank, so I'm appropriately nervous. We love our tank inhabitants and they are part of the family to us, just as our dogs and cats. Thanks in advance...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back