Trying to get an email alert from my optical sensor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DarkZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Day Everyone,

I have been testing the email alarm on my new neptune system, for some odd reason I cannot get any phone notification with this optical sensor, every other probes are getting alerts. Below is my code under the emailalm. The purpose for this setup is to alarm when the RO tank water level is low.

Set OFF
If RO_Low OPEN Then ON

Any suggestions would much appreciated it.

Thank you

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your code is correct, assuming the sensor name is accurate.

Questions:
1. Is your EmailAlm output slider set to AUTO?
2. Is there any other active alarm on your Apex? The Apex will only report on a single alarm at a time. If something else is in alarm state, you need to clear that condition before the next alarm condition will be reported.

See my tutorial on Apex Alarms for more details and examples: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/neptune-apex-programming-tutorials-part-6-alarms.707/

OP
OP
DarkZ

DarkZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your code is correct, assuming the sensor name is accurate.

Questions:
1. Is your EmailAlm output slider set to AUTO?
2. Is there any other active alarm on your Apex? The Apex will only report on a single alarm at a time. If something else is in alarm state, you need to clear that condition before the next alarm condition will be reported.

See my tutorial on Apex Alarms for more details and examples: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/neptune-apex-programming-tutorials-part-6-alarms.707/
Thank you for the quick response. I actually read your post previously before writing this code. ;)

Yes, the Emailalm is set at auto. Currently there the pH probe alarm on due to out of range. How do you clear an alarm?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the quick response.

Yes, the Emailalm is set at auto. Currently there the pH probe alarm on due to out of range. How do you clear an alarm?
The only way to clear an alarm is to correct the situation causing the alarm (in your case, increase or decrease the pH of the wate), or adjust the range of the alarm (go into the pH probe configuration and change the upper and/or lower limit of the alarm), or disable that alarm condition all together.

As I explain in my Alarms tutorial, I prefer to disable all Input alarms and instead rely exclusively on the programming under the EmailAlm output because then you can prioritize the alarm conditions based on the order of the program code. If you have some alarms defined under the EmailAlm and others defined under the probe settings, you have no control over which alarm takes priority. To me, the pH is not as important as temperature or a leak.

OP
OP
DarkZ

DarkZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it, I didn't know Apex can only send one alarm, perhaps they can improve this feature for future updates.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it, I didn't know Apex can only send one alarm, perhaps they can improve this feature for future updates.
This has been a feature request for years, yet there's been no change in the Apex alarm architecture, and no word on if it will ever change. I agree, it's a big limitation.

OP
OP
DarkZ

DarkZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been a feature request for years, yet there's been no change in the Apex alarm architecture, and no word on if it will ever change. I agree, it's a big limitation.
dang, didn't know it has been this long already, lol. You would think this feature isn't that hard to incorporate since we are monitoring so many things at once.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, didn't know it has been this long already, lol. You would think this feature isn't that hard to incorporate since we are monitoring so many things at once.
The problem is that the alarm architecture is based on a single output (the EmailAlm output), and an output can only have one state: On or Off. To implement multiple concurrent alarms, there would need to be a separate output for each alarm condition.

I proposed this a while back to Neptune to add an "Alarm" checkbox on each virtual output, similar to the way you can check the "Log" checkbox on each output. No idea if they will ever implement this:

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 3.23.01 PM.png

OP
OP
DarkZ

DarkZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that the alarm architecture is based on a single output (the EmailAlm output), and an output can only have one state: On or Off. To implement multiple concurrent alarms, there would need to be a separate output for each alarm condition.

I proposed this a while back to Neptune to add an "Alarm" checkbox on each virtual output, similar to the way you can check the "Log" checkbox on each output. No idea if they will ever implement this:

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 3.23.01 PM.png
Thats unfortunate, maybe hire a better coding guy? LOL.
Btw, I just removed all the prob alarms, the optical sensor alarm finally showed up. Thanks!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back