Trying to ID some dino, need help

fohadi16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, new to reefing and to r2r, so I posted this originally in the wrong forum. I have some dino that I believe is large cell amphidinium. I have been trying to get my phosphates up as they zerod out and I ran a UV just in case it was ostreopsis, but can you guys let me know what type this is so I know whether or not to buy Si dosing and test kit. Thank you all in advance! 20220813_202635.jpg

Attachments

• 20220813_195523.mp4
    28.3 MB

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with your assessment.
If they disappear when lights out and reappear when lights on, yup, Dino’s, golden.

Also agree get those nutrients up in the bands by dosing which is quicker than extra food, dose live phytoplankton, UV really helps, clean filter daily before lights on.

Your goal is to remove as many as possible keeping numbers down. The nutrients and phyto will feed the good guys and in time, they simply outcompete the pest types.

Be very careful if you consider Hydrogen peroxide to combat, it can work, but will kill some of the good guys as well.

Keep that up and they will go on their own.

OP
OP
fohadi16

fohadi16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with your assessment.
If they disappear when lights out and reappear when lights on, yup, Dino’s, golden.

Also agree get those nutrients up in the bands by dosing which is quicker than extra food, dose live phytoplankton, UV really helps, clean filter daily before lights on.

Your goal is to remove as many as possible keeping numbers down. The nutrients and phyto will feed the good guys and in time, they simply outcompete the pest types.

Be very careful if you consider Hydrogen peroxide to combat, it can work, but will kill some of the good guys as well.

Keep that up and they will go on their own.
Hello ty for the reply, do you think these are LCA?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like Ostreo.
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I just lump them into photosynthetic golden Dino’s if there coming up into the column and completely of the sand visually when lights out.

The only thing that actually worked for me was managing nutrients. Once I put them in the range, 30ml h days later, gone.

peroxide worked but they returned.
Uv big help when they left the sand.
It’s a numbers game, reduce Dino pop, increase good guy bacteria strains.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back