Trying to ID this...

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Long story short, yound tank, about 8 months now. Had tons of GHA about a month and half ago with virtually no nutrients detected. Gave up and blasted it with Fluconazole; 3 weeks later GHA was gone. Then came cyano, killed it with chemiclean. Now week after chemiclean, I have this.

Parameters:
SG - 1.026
Ph - 8.2
Alk - 8.7
PO4 - 0.01ppm on Hanna ULR
NO3 - 2ppm on Red Sea.

I dose approx 0.04ppm of PO4 and 1ppm NO3 every twice a week.

Stuff looks kinda slimy kinda hairy... No bubbles, it's on the rocks and on the sand, present at night and day.

20200803_103036.jpg

20200803_103101.jpg

Any ideas?

EDIT: Also I syphon sandbed, scrub rocks (2x), and 15% WC weekly. Running UV as well. Skimmer run intermittent to as to not strip all nutrients out, so I don't have to dose as much.

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like dino's to me. But with no bubble present, I could almost say your having a cyano outbreak again.

Chemiclean will kill it temporarily, but unless you clear up the underlying problem, it will just return a couple weeks later.

Do you clean out your sandbed?

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like dino's to me. But with no bubble present, I could almost say your having a cyano outbreak again.

Chemiclean will kill it temporarily, but unless you clear up the underlying problem, it will just return a couple weeks later.

Do you clean out your sandbed?

Yes, sorry I added and EDIT to the original post. Sandbed syphoned at least once a week, sometimes twice a week. Rocks get scrubbed. Nutrients always reading low but my thought was algea was taking it up.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only one way to know for sure if your dealing with Dino's(for your sake I hope it's not). Get a cheap microscope, take a pic, and post it in the dino thread.

Dealing with Dino's was the worst thing I've had to deal with in 20+ years of reefing(first tank I ever started with dead dry rock). It wasn't until I found this forum, and the dino thread that I finally got them cleared up. Yes I know it's a massive thread, but the information it contains is priceless and well worth the read if you truly are dealing with them.

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah... Dinos are the one thing I've been trying to avoid since before I started this hobby. I guess it's off to Amazon for a microscope.

Any suggestions? What's all required other than a microscope itself, slides?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup....

Do you remember grade school science class when they taught us how to use a microscope? Just suck some of the snot up, add a drop of water, put a slide on top(sandwich), then view under scope.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back