Trying to make a long term plan

Netotek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,
As my tank cycles (Fluval 13.5G), and as I am trying to patiently wait, I'm trying to plan out the corals. I'm still doing research and I want to give the Corals room to go, so I mocked up a picture of my tank.

I'd like to do;
Grape Corals or frogspawn or bubble corals in the bottom left
Pipe organ corals on the upper left
a birdsnest on top
a plating montipora in the center
pulsing xenia to the right of that
and three zoa's on the sand to the right.

Is it too much? is it too little? I wont be adding anything until my tank is nice and stable (8+ months?), I'm in no rush and want to take things slow, and I'll add things slowly as well.

I couldn't get a good top down picture but hopefully you can kinda see what the layout looks like.

Livestock planned:
1 x Clownfish
1 x Royal Gramma
1x Yellow clown Goby

Is that too many? can I add more?

I haven't decided on the CUC yet, I'm not sure how many I should put into the tank after adding the fish.

Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated, I want to do my best, it's my first try at saltwater.
Thanks.

Untitled-Artwork (1).jpg IMG_0393.jpg IMG_0397.jpg

Acroconut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful on that Pulsing Xenia. It's beautiful but can spread like crazy. As for fish in the 13.5....less is best. I have a Picasso Clown and Neon Goby in mine, and am glad I held to that. If you're like me you'll be looking to move up in tank size in the near future. My tank is packed with coral right now, and I can hardly wait until my new system is set up. I'm not a newbie to reefing either which has been a big help in keeping things somewhat stable in this little system. Don't know if the recent video will post but does show some of my tank. It's a full house.

Attachments

• 20230522_113642_2770242872731246.mp4
    21.7 MB

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure yet, I'd like to keep the lid so evaporation stays low. The AI Blade looks to be a promising option.
Definitely keep a lid on. Helps a lot with evaporation. And I gotta agree with acroconut. Less is better since it’s such a small system. And I strongly reccomend considering an ai prime 16. Especially since you eventually want to keep a monti. Anyway start with just 2 zoas and remember to dip them. Zoas can carry a crazy amount of pest IME. Tbh you don’t have to wait 8 months for corals. You can do in like 3 months realistically. Only put in softies though. Move on to LPS after you see your zoa growing new head monthly. (No surviving does not mean growing remember that) and I would reccomend to keep whatever light you are about to run under 10% since there aren’t any corals in. It prevents a ton of algae waiting to grow. And when you do get corals I still reccomend start low in the tank and lights. Hope this helps

OP
OP
Netotek

Netotek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful on that Pulsing Xenia. It's beautiful but can spread like crazy. As for fish in the 13.5....less is best. I have a Picasso Clown and Neon Goby in mine, and am glad I held to that. If you're like me you'll be looking to move up in tank size in the near future. My tank is packed with coral right now, and I can hardly wait until my new system is set up. I'm not a newbie to reefing either which has been a big help in keeping things somewhat stable in this little system. Don't know if the recent video will post but does show some of my tank. It's a full house.
Your tank looks great.

What do you have for a cleanup crew?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,
As my tank cycles (Fluval 13.5G), and as I am trying to patiently wait, I'm trying to plan out the corals. I'm still doing research and I want to give the Corals room to go, so I mocked up a picture of my tank.

I'd like to do;
Grape Corals or frogspawn or bubble corals in the bottom left
Pipe organ corals on the upper left
a birdsnest on top
a plating montipora in the center
pulsing xenia to the right of that
and three zoa's on the sand to the right.

Is it too much? is it too little? I wont be adding anything until my tank is nice and stable (8+ months?), I'm in no rush and want to take things slow, and I'll add things slowly as well.

I couldn't get a good top down picture but hopefully you can kinda see what the layout looks like.

Livestock planned:
1 x Clownfish
1 x Royal Gramma
1x Yellow clown Goby

Is that too many? can I add more?

I haven't decided on the CUC yet, I'm not sure how many I should put into the tank after adding the fish.

Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated, I want to do my best, it's my first try at saltwater.
Thanks.

Untitled-Artwork (1).jpg IMG_0393.jpg IMG_0397.jpg
Fish stocking seems good to me!

Acroconut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rock is loaded with mini brittle starfish. I have 2 hermit crabs, 2 large nassarius snails, 4 Trochus snails, 3 Nerite snails, 1 peppermint shrimp, and a couple larger brittle stars that I never see much of other than their long arms appearing from under my rock at feeding time. I also keep patches of PomPom algae behind my rock work for nutrient export. It grows pretty fast so I have to thin it out every few weeks, but I love the red color.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back