Trying to plumb RODI into plumbing; what fits this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For years I've been stashing my 4 stage RODI under the guest sink and attaching the spigot adapter, shoving the waste tube down the drain and the clean in my Brute....then unhooking when done and rolling back up. It works fine, but if I can have it "hard plumbed" and easier for a few bucks I'm down...

However I'm limited in my sink connections; I don't seem to have the standard flex line that most have...what would fit these under sink connections? The cut off valves are below the frame of this photo but continue on the same PEX looking tubing under the house. My only other options are to try and find an adapter at the washing machine inlet but that seems to have a bronze or copper fitting which I guess I should avoid?

20190818_084052.jpg

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all faucets have brass inlets, I wouldn’t worry about that since it’s before your rodi.

I’ve never seen pex go straight on to a faucet like that. You could just cut and install a T in that pex, you just need the crimp tool to put the rings on. Or you could pick up a shark bite fitting.

Apotack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shark bite isn’t cheap but it’s a breeze to use. You need a cutter, the tool that bevels the edges and tool to release the fitting.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The washer is a nice and really easy option, brass fittings are a non issue before the RODI filter, remember plenty of systems are plumbed into copper lines as well. For the washer setup all you need is a manifold (can be brass as well) and the correct hose to RODI adapter which comes with almost every RODI system but they aren't very expensive either.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree - that’s an odd way to plumb a sink. Options I can think of:
  • Shorten the PEX line, then put a tee with a traditional flexible supply line after. This requires putting a new crimp connector on the end, so you need to rent, borrow or buy the tools to be comfortable doing it. If feasible, this would be my preferred option.
  • Put a shark bite TEE inline. Shark bites are easy to use but the connections aren’t as robust as crimp connections and should be supported. That location is going be prone to getting pushed, torqued, etc, so I probably wouldn’t recommend this option.
  • If you have enough room, you could get one (or two) supply lines to come off the top of the PEX line, loop down and then back up to the faucet connection, letting you interpose a tee for your RODI. This would probably be the easiest option.
  • Hire a plumber - most expensive, especially for a simple job like this, but if you’re not comfortable with plumbing and connections it may be a good option.
  • The Washer supply is a fine option, too. Like others have said, the brass isn’t an issue as long as it’s before the RODI unit.
  • You can by ‘taps’ that pierce the side of the pipe. No idea if they work for PEX or not, but I wouldn’t recommend them regardless. They’re against code in many areas and prone to leaking.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does have shut off valves at the sink? I would put a tee in the pex. 1/2 X 1/2 X 3/8 then run 3/8 supply line to the RODI system

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metal fittings before the RO system aren't an issue. Like others have mentioned in this thread, most homes are plumbed with copper pipe and other metal fittings, so no big deal. If your washing machine cold water supply is in a convenient location, that install will require the least amount of modification. Basically all you'd need would be a splitter on the cold water side. From there, you'd hook up your washing machine to one, and the RO unit to the other using a utility sink/garden hose adapter.

If you need the RO unit to be installed under the sink, you're going to want to install a tee. @Sleepydoc has some good suggestions on that front.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 141 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.2%
Back