Trying to raise Dendronephthya and Scleronephthya part1

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great work! Do you have a list of the food you supply to the tank? And how often and so on?

I really want to do a new try on Dendronepthya. I have the chance to use our 10000 litres reef tank at work as a sump and to do a test in a 500 litre frag tank. My idea is to mostly feed phytoplankton(EasyBooster(gel with 4 types of phytos)), cyanobacteria(Synechococcus sp), live Nannochloropsis salina and "mulm" from a ZeoVit reactor filled with Siporax. I'm haven't bought the corals yet, so the experiemnt won't start in a while. So I probably will change the plan a couple of times before it starts :)

/ David

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using ZEOvit zeolites. For the mulm. First page has my food reciepe. Check it out. Thank's .4:27 am and most corals great. About a year to go and see what happens by then. No3-0, po3-0, ph-7.4 right now. Goes to 8.0 soon. Comes down. I have 12 oysters, 9 clams, this has been big help.73 degree water too. LOL

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DT is 30 gallons, refugium 30 gallons. I feed with doser, 2 ml every hour from moment it's dark. Till 5am. I also didn't show what else I feed and how till I know it's successful. In 1 year or year and a half, will spill the beans. Till then wait and see. But very promising.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great work! Do you have a list of the food you supply to the tank? And how often and so on?

I really want to do a new try on Dendronepthya. I have the chance to use our 10000 litres reef tank at work as a sump and to do a test in a 500 litre frag tank. My idea is to mostly feed phytoplankton(EasyBooster(gel with 4 types of phytos)), cyanobacteria(Synechococcus sp), live Nannochloropsis salina and "mulm" from a ZeoVit reactor filled with Siporax. I'm haven't bought the corals yet, so the experiemnt won't start in a while. So I probably will change the plan a couple of times before it starts :)

/ David
Can you help me id this Coral no one's given me answer.
Will describe: skeleton is hard, has polyps like Red chili cactus coral, but smaller. Polyps sporadic. Need to know how to Care for.

20180519_051202.jpg

20180519_051153.jpg

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you help me id this Coral no one's given me answer.
Will describe: skeleton is hard, has polyps like Red chili cactus coral, but smaller. Polyps sporadic. Need to know how to Care for.

20180519_051202.jpg

20180519_051153.jpg

I looked some at Reeflex.net but this was a tricky one. Here are some names you could compare with:
Petrophyllia rediviva
Oculina varicosa
Oculina diffusa
Eunicella verrucosa

Don't even know if they are cold or tropical species, just did a search and compared pictures :)

/ David

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked some at Reeflex.net but this was a tricky one. Here are some names you could compare with:
Petrophyllia rediviva
Oculina varicosa
Oculina diffusa
Eunicella verrucosa

Don't even know if they are cold or tropical species, just did a search and compared pictures :)

/ David
I had a red one with white sporadic polyps. It did expand at LFS the red one. When I bought.

Thank you so much for info.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

/ David
Here great article
http://www.mydigitalpublication.com/publication/index.php?i=161377&m=&l=&p=-1&pre=&ver=html5#{"page":0,"issue_id":161377}

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some cold water azoox we have at work. Alcyonium digitatum and Metridium senile. Metridium senile is quite easy to find food to, it more like an anemone. The A. digitatum is harder to get to grow. We've tried before with artemia nauplii, rotifer and coral food(power), but not with good result. The last 1,5 years we've also dosed a lot of phytoplankton, as EasyBooster but also live phyto. Now they grow well, getting new "fingers" and have their polyps extended most of the time. We've also improved the water quality in this system. But I thing it's mostly the phytoplankton that's has made a difference for the A. digitatum. Feels great to see them grow finally! :)

IMG_5467.JPG
IMG_5468.JPG
IMG_5470.JPG

/ David

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some cold water azoox we have at work. Alcyonium digitatum and Metridium senile. Metridium senile is quite easy to find food to, it more like an anemone. The A. digitatum is harder to get to grow. We've tried before with artemia nauplii, rotifer and coral food(power), but not with good result. The last 1,5 years we've also dosed a lot of phytoplankton, as EasyBooster but also live phyto. Now they grow well, getting new "fingers" and have their polyps extended most of the time. We've also improved the water quality in this system. But I thing it's mostly the phytoplankton that's has made a difference for the A. digitatum. Feels great to see them grow finally! :)

IMG_5467.JPG
IMG_5468.JPG
IMG_5470.JPG

/ David
Wow, never seen one of those

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I setup a trickle filter with 5 gallon bucket in refugium. I used natrual cat liter as matrix. It breaks down nitrates, after 3-6mo in operation. Unlike bio balls of the past, which never did.. Old technology meets new information. LOL.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back