Trying to raise Dendronephthya and Scleronephthya part1

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The feeding regime you mention should work for dendronephthya . After what you said of phytoplankton food . I'll feed more of it. I feed shellfish diet. I'll feed more of it. Many thanks

Definitely more of it. They need constant food all the time not just when dark. They feed heavily on phytoplankton but the few species of Diatoms I mentioned earlier and a powdered bacteria are what I owe a lot of my success to with selective filter feeders. You'll go through a lot of food, my 24g non photosynthetic system got around 50ml of different phyto pastes per 24hr, as well as several tablespoons of powdered foods and cubes of rotifers. Nutrient control is horrible with these systems, but you need to feed a lot. I keep the density at around 2-5,000 cells per cubic centimeters at all times in filter feeding systems.

Good luck and keep us posted, time will tell in the coming weeks and months.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely more of it. They need constant food all the time not just when dark. They feed heavily on phytoplankton but the few species of Diatoms I mentioned earlier and a powdered bacteria are what I owe a lot of my success to with selective filter feeders. You'll go through a lot of food, my 24g non photosynthetic system got around 50ml of different phyto pastes per 24hr, as well as several tablespoons of powdered foods and cubes of rotifers. Nutrient control is horrible with these systems, but you need to feed a lot. I keep the density at around 2-5,000 cells per cubic centimeters at all times in filter feeding systems.

Thanks for that info. Will take it to heart. Big help.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some thoughts about azoox tanks and feeding. If you only keep one species, like say Dendronephtya, you maybe could skip most of the zooplankton. Same goes for other species, but with their special needs. I mean that that really heavy feeding maybe needs to be because we want to keep several different species and they all have different needs of food and prey size. Is it possible that we overfeed, or at least mess up the water to much with all that food?

I've never had success with other then the easier ones, so be kind to me now. This is just me thinking loud ;)
But like I wrote before, I would like to try Dendronephtya with mostly small phytoplankton and cyanobacteria. I need to do some more readings on cells/ml on the reef, but it sound like they want low concentration but steady.

Once again, great thread! Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

/ David

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great info! Thanks.

What kind of powdered bacteria did you use?

/ David

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some thoughts about azoox tanks and feeding. If you only keep one species, like say Dendronephtya, you maybe could skip most of the zooplankton. Same goes for other species, but with their special needs. I mean that that really heavy feeding maybe needs to be because we want to keep several different species and they all have different needs of food and prey size. Is it possible that we overfeed, or at least mess up the water to much with all that food?

I've never had success with other then the easier ones, so be kind to me now. This is just me thinking loud ;)
But like I wrote before, I would like to try Dendronephtya with mostly small phytoplankton and cyanobacteria. I need to do some more readings on cells/ml on the reef, but it sound like they want low concentration but steady.

/ David

Before I lost my first set of dendronephthya, ph probe. I notice growth from one Dendronephthya , (others showed growth & healthy ),that was either deteriorating or water perimeters not right at lfs. It was near dosing hose to feed all corals. I feed chaeto macroalgae , I would put in a blender,about 1/4 cup amount algae, little water. Strain . And dose. Within one month, it was growing. I also separately blended squid, small fish from asian market. And every night pour a little in refugium . Saw slow growth. I was using sulfur denitrator, and ph, alkalinity , calcium needed adjusting with lime water. Even with very high alkalinity and calcium out of wack. There was growth. I'm going to go back to old notes and start doing that. But no sulfur denitrator,still do what is working now in addition.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What bacteria are you mentioning. Yeast like? Anaerobic? Too

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

/ David
Also search dendronephthya in mangroves and Hong Kong harbor. Both area with water perimeters out of wack. Still they thrive.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great work! Do you have a list of the food you supply to the tank? And how often and so on?

I really want to do a new try on Dendronepthya. I have the chance to use our 10000 litres reef tank at work as a sump and to do a test in a 500 litre frag tank. My idea is to mostly feed phytoplankton(EasyBooster(gel with 4 types of phytos)), cyanobacteria(Synechococcus sp), live Nannochloropsis salina and "mulm" from a ZeoVit reactor filled with Siporax. I'm haven't bought the corals yet, so the experiemnt won't start in a while. So I probably will change the plan a couple of times before it starts :)

/ David

Ok, here's another one, this coral skeleton if flexible, polyps small Daisy like, white. Very few polyps, sporadic. Lfs does not know what type. Please help

Screenshot_2018-05-21-08-30-31-1.png

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info! Thanks.

What kind of powdered bacteria did you use?

/ David

What bacteria are you mentioning. Yeast like? Anaerobic? Too

You're welcome.

Paracoccus bacteria.

Also I agree that some species may require a lower cell count in the water but still need it constant. Flow speed also plays a huge role in their ability to extend and feed. Also we don't see any turbidity on some of the reefs where Dendronephthya are found which is why I believe they may feed on bacteria as well. But my best response is still with Diatoms Thalassiosira weissflogii and T. pseudonana as well as the other foods I mentioned.

Ok, here's another one, this coral skeleton if flexible, polyps small Daisy like, white. Very few polyps, sporadic. Lfs does not know what type. Please help

Screenshot_2018-05-21-08-30-31-1.png

I still believe that to be a mostly starved Scleronephthya sp. These species can also tolerate a very wide range of water conditions, I honestly don't think you've lost any of them to a PH swing or other parameters being slightly abnormal. I think it's a combination of flow type/speed and food availability. Just my thoughts.

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome.

Paracoccus bacteria.

Also I agree that some species may require a lower cell count in the water but still need it constant. Flow speed also plays a huge role in their ability to extend and feed. Also we don't see any turbidity on some of the reefs where Dendronephthya are found which is why I believe they may feed on bacteria as well. But my best response is still with Diatoms Thalassiosira weissflogii and T. pseudonana as well as the other foods I mentioned.

I still believe that to be a mostly starved Scleronephthya sp. These species can also tolerate a very wide range of water conditions, I honestly don't think you've lost any of them to a PH swing or other parameters being slightly abnormal. I think it's a combination of flow type/speed and food availability. Just my thoughts.

The red coral the way you see it with fully open(polyps ) when I bought, Scleronephthya polyps go first when starved and not thin looking with polyps fully open. MHO

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're welcome.

Paracoccus bacteria.

Thanks for bacteria info

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great work! Do you have a list of the food you supply to the tank? And how often and so on?

I really want to do a new try on Dendronepthya. I have the chance to use our 10000 litres reef tank at work as a sump and to do a test in a 500 litre frag tank. My idea is to mostly feed phytoplankton(EasyBooster(gel with 4 types of phytos)), cyanobacteria(Synechococcus sp), live Nannochloropsis salina and "mulm" from a ZeoVit reactor filled with Siporax. I'm haven't bought the corals yet, so the experiemnt won't start in a while. So I probably will change the plan a couple of times before it starts :)

/ David

Sallstrom, if I could choose the dendronephthya corals to start with. These are easier to culture. And I've seen growth. I even raised small polyps, that grew a bit. My ph probe controlled limewater. When it malfunctioned, it dumped all the lime water to dt. 5 gallons of limewater.

Screenshot_2018-05-21-14-52-33-1.png

Screenshot_2018-05-21-14-52-39-1.png

Screenshot_2018-05-21-14-53-42-1.png

Screenshot_2018-05-21-14-53-47-1.png

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 143 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.2%
Back