Trying to reestablish apex jr connection to fusion

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I've been running an apex jr on my fluval evo since I started it 2-3 years ago and had it connected to fusion via wireless adapter commonly used for gaming. Unfortunately that failed about a year ago and since I've been home it didn't really make that much of a difference. However I will soon be doing some traveling again and would like to once again have access to the tank from fusion.

My question is how do I reestablish this connection? I now have the Netgear powerline 2000 adapter and followed the steps provided in the manual. All 3 lights on both units are stable and green which as far as I'm aware means they are communicating properly and they are plugged in to the apex and the router respectively. Its been a while since I originally hooked up the apex to the router- that most likely is still an option but I'm hoping I can avoid that. Only thing I've tried so far was going into net setup and reseting it to no avail.

Thanks in advance!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone!

I've been running an apex jr on my fluval evo since I started it 2-3 years ago and had it connected to fusion via wireless adapter commonly used for gaming. Unfortunately that failed about a year ago and since I've been home it didn't really make that much of a difference. However I will soon be doing some traveling again and would like to once again have access to the tank from fusion.

My question is how do I reestablish this connection? I now have the Netgear powerline 2000 adapter and followed the steps provided in the manual. All 3 lights on both units are stable and green which as far as I'm aware means they are communicating properly and they are plugged in to the apex and the router respectively. Its been a while since I originally hooked up the apex to the router- that most likely is still an option but I'm hoping I can avoid that. Only thing I've tried so far was going into net setup and reseting it to no avail.

Thanks in advance!
Strong suggestion. Call Neptune - they can walk you through it - there could be multiple reasons - and no one here can see exactly whats going on. There have some reports of this happening lately. I lost control of mine - and threw it away.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Strong suggestion. Call Neptune - they can walk you through it - there could be multiple reasons - and no one here can see exactly whats going on. There have some reports of this happening lately. I lost control of mine - and threw it away.
PS - I lost connection with mine - and it could not be reasonably fixed (after talking to Neptune) - I threw it away - they are very helpful.

Stain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine loses connection to fusion every night at 11:59 until I wake up at 6ish and unplug/re-plug in the apex to eb832 connection. It returns within 3 mins. I would hate to be out of town. Its only started happening the last couple weeks. The worst part is the whole system becomes non-responsive. Here's last nights.(cant post pics rn, trident began test and apex is now non-responsive

*while posting this and checking the logs, apex lost connection to fusion, as the trident began its test. Coincidence? Trident also tests at 12.

temppp.jpg

phhhh.jpg

Its getting very annoying to be totally honest

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Call Neptune support. Make sure your firmware is up to date first:)

Delloman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One problem with eathernet over power is that homes in the US are 220v that is spit into 2 110v sides of the full wave. So if the outlet that your router is on and the outlet the apex is on are on the 2 different side of the panel they can have problems communicating. get a wireless router or hard wire with eathernet. If you where hardwired and there was a surge its possible to kill the network part of the hardware. This is probably more likely with powerline as well. I would still recommend eathernet if possible and it's not a pain in the butt.

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions guys!
I was hoping it would't come to that since I'm fairly certain its of my own doing but if it comes to that I certainly will! I just wanted to rule out that I missing something really obvious, I'm not a very tech savvy person and or apex savvy person ;Hilarious
One problem with eathernet over power is that homes in the US are 220v that is spit into 2 110v sides of the full wave. So if the outlet that your router is on and the outlet the apex is on are on the 2 different side of the panel they can have problems communicating. get a wireless router or hard wire with eathernet. If you where hardwired and there was a surge its possible to kill the network part of the hardware. This is probably more likely with powerline as well. I would still recommend eathernet if possible and it's not a pain in the butt.
Good things to consider! I was planning on running a line to the router directly but the GF says no drilling;Dead I think this is my best bet sadly although I'd certainly prefer a wired connection though. My brother had good success with this setup for his gaming PC so I figured it could handle running the apex junior (I'd rather overkill than under for this).

Stain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happened again last night, no data from 11:59pm until now when I reboot the apex, 11:55pm last sample time from apex. Both fusion and local are up on screenshot
ohnoooo.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Happened again last night, no data from 11:59pm until now when I reboot the apex, 11:55pm last sample time from apex. Both fusion and local are up on screenshot
ohnoooo.jpg
One reason that I mentioned calling Neptune - is that they have an entire history and list of things to do to troubleshoot this particular problem. But - just to make sure - because its unclear from your original post. Do you mean that you have a netgear adapter (wireless) - plugged in near your apex - and then an ethernet cable going from that adapter to your apex?

Stain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One reason that I mentioned calling Neptune - is that they have an entire history and list of things to do to troubleshoot this particular problem. But - just to make sure - because its unclear from your original post. Do you mean that you have a netgear adapter (wireless) - plugged in near your apex - and then an ethernet cable going from that adapter to your apex?
Thats the OP. Mine is wireless as I cant run a 50ft ethernet cable with my 2 year old running around. I just have the same problem, has only been happening the last month. I am honestly tired of making tickets, i just re-set it and live with it. If i need to leave town overnight I'll show my wife how to do it. I have as many tickets as months as I've owned my apex/trident/dos. I should of got an alkatronic, as the 'control' part being online is of no interest to me. I like physical buttons.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats the OP. Mine is wireless as I cant run a 50ft ethernet cable with my 2 year old running around. I just have the same problem, has only been happening the last month. I am honestly tired of making tickets, i just re-set it and live with it. If i need to leave town overnight I'll show my wife how to do it. I have as many tickets as months as I've owned my apex/trident/dos. I should of got an alkatronic, as the 'control' part being online is of no interest to me. I like physical buttons.
OH - so I guess I have the same question for you. what adapter are you using to connect to your apex (or are you using the apex wifi capability without an adapter)? What fixed my problem with this - and believe me - I tried everything - was getting a network extender - putting it right next to the apex - and then using an ethernet cable to directly connect to the apex brain.

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys things have been a little hectic!
Thats correct, there is an adapter connected to the router via an ethernet cable and then a synced unit plugged in near the apex that is running an ethernet cable directly to the apex unit. Looks like Ill be calling neptune on my next day off ;Dead

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back