Trying to save my last remaining fish......Yellow Watchman Goby

Hallyzee123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to get some help with my YWG. I had 4 other fish that died in the last week and I need to know what he has and how I need to go about treating him.

Short story of what happened:

Bicolor Blenny was really stressed for about a week. I thought it was because the hermit crabs took over his favorite rock perch and he was upset, he was pale with white stripes going down his body. Then, he stopped eating on a Tuesday afternoon and then I woke up Wednesday morning and he was dead, half eaten already. Just assumed he died due to stress since he was having issues and all other fish were acting normal. Two days go by, one of my clowns stopped eating on Thursday evening and Friday morning, dead. Never noticed any issues with his skin, but it was peeling when I got his body out of the tank. Now, I know something is up. Friday night, other clown and flameback angel quit eating. I noticed a film on their skin this time similar to how the Yellow Watchman looks now. Saturday morning, both clown and flameback angel are dead. Yellow Watchman at this time still looks normal and then I notice on Sunday, his skin is now turning this chalky white color. I attached two photos of him as of today. He is still eating like a pig and swimming around fine. Whatever it is doesn't seem to bother him.

What could the disease be and how do I save my last fish? I am currently cycling my qt tank to get it ready for him, but need to know how to treat him. All the other fish died so quickly which leads me to believe it was velvet. I had purchased a couple corals and some snails the weekend before this happened and I'm guessing it came from that. I do dip the corals, but don't leave them fallow for 76 days before adding them. I learned my lesson. Please help Mr. Goby survive!

Tank parameters:

Salinity: 1.025
Temperature: 78 degrees
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate 5-10ppm
Alk: 8
PH: 8
Calcium: 460ppm

I don't have a phosphate testing kit yet, but will be getting one soon.

Thank you for any help you can give me!

20220310_184153.jpg

20220310_185908.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say but if fish are dying quickly and have a cloudy appearance on their skin and clowns in the tank then it's highly likely to be brook. Formulin would be the treatment method in a QT tank. DT needs to fallow for 76 days.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peeling skin sounds like brook to me.

please check this link for treatment. A freshwater bath can give temporary relief in the meantime.

OP
OP
H

Hallyzee123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is only about 4 months old, the fish have only been there for 2 months and introduced at varying times. The YWG was the last one in, but the Bicolor was the second one in and was the first one sick. Tank is only a 32 gallon biocube. Thanks for the help!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 33.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back