Trying to think of a good stocking list for my 75 gallon

painfullycurious88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just upgraded to a 75 AIO (found a leak in my biocube :()

I currently have 2 mocha occ clownfish, 1 coral beauty, 1 yellow headed sleeper gobi

Included is a current picture of my aquascape
IMG_2155.jpg

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put a small species of Tang. Tomini, White Tail, Square Tail, Yellow Eye Kole (good luck finding one), maybe some of the other Bristletooths too.

Shrimp and Goby pair.

Midas, Starry, other Blennies.

Basslets. Grammas.

Marine Betta.

Smaller Halichoeres wrasses (Yellow Coris, Melanurus, Red Lined, Iridis).

All Flasher Wrasses.

Most Fairy Wrasses.

Leopard and Pencil Wrasses (hard).

Engineer Goby (grows up to become eel like).

Flame, Long Nose Hawkfish (not sure how it would do with other bottom dwellers in a 75).

Mitratus, Burgess, Tinkeri, Declivis, Prognathodes butterflies.

Sunburst Anthias.

DirectCherry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put a small species of Tang. Tomini, White Tail, Square Tail, Yellow Eye Kole (good luck finding one), maybe some of the other Bristletooths too.

Shrimp and Goby pair.

Midas, Starry, other Blennies.

Basslets. Grammas.

Marine Betta.

Smaller Halichoeres wrasses (Yellow Coris, Melanurus, Red Lined, Iridis).

All Flasher Wrasses.

Most Fairy Wrasses.

Leopard and Pencil Wrasses (hard).

Engineer Goby (grows up to become eel like).

Flame, Long Nose Hawkfish (not sure how it would do with other bottom dwellers in a 75).

Mitratus, Burgess, Tinkeri, Declivis, Prognathodes butterflies.

Sunburst Anthias.

Living in Hawaii, Yellow Eye Kole aren't that uncommon. They are one of my favorite fish (probably my favorite tang) because they just look so elegant.
---
To add to the list of ideas (CB = Captive Bred):

Small reef-safe wrasses (3 inch max size or smaller ex. Pink-Streaked Wrasse, Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse, White Banded Possum Wrasse, Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse, Six Line Wrasse, or any of the others mentioned in the above comment)

Trio of (CB) damsels

Firefish

3-4 (CB) Cardinalfish (Pajama Cardinals and Banggai Cardinals are the most popular, but Seal's Cardinalfish is a favorite of mine)

Clown Goby (yellow or green)

1 (CB) Dottyback

(CB) Blue, Green, or Spotted Mandarin
---

For conservation's sake, I always recommend buying Captive Bred fish where possible. It's sad that some of the most common aquarium fish (ex. Banggai Cardinalfish) are endangered in the wild due (in part) to the aquarium trade.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had access to CB fish but I’m a Chinese hobbyist and we are only starting to get CB species other than Clowns. However having said this we are starting to get some angels from Bali Aquarich and a Captive Bred Goldflake will be the centerpiece I’m planning for my setup. Heard wild ones are a bit trickier. I would also love a Captive Bred Blueline from them, though we don’t get them nearly as often.

Six Lines have a mixed reputation. Some do just fine, others turn out to be demons. The general reputation isn’t great though they’re known for being good at pest control and look good. Four Line Wrasses belong to the same genus and I heard they are a bit less aggressive on average but I’m not sure. I just have a bad feeling about other wrasses being with a Six Line unless maybe the tank is very big. A Pink Streak would be an alternative. The Possum Wrasses are small and peaceful, don’t know about mixing them together but since they’re peaceful might be fine. However they do best in a peaceful tank that’s somewhat established, with a pod population. Have some high quality frozen on hand to get them to eat.

A trio of a more peaceful damsel species would add a nice splash of color. Azures, Talbot’s, Tracey’s are among the most peaceful.

Cardinals sounds good but Bangaiis need confirmed pairs. Seal’s Cardinals are a cool little fish. Pajamas are often kept in groups and seem to do well most of the time though I heard they get more feisty when there’s a breeding pair or two.

Clown Gobies can be kept in pairs easily, they easily change sex.

The Dottyback with the best reputation overall is the Orchid, though I heard some others aren’t too bad in terms of temperament.

CB Mandarin sounds great. Hopefully it will take frozen food and dry food much more readily.

It’s really sad how I don’t have access to more CB fish despite the fact that Biota has a big fish farm in Palau and I’m in the general region. ORA does not ship to consumers.

Good luck. What’s the hobby like in HI?

DirectCherry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had access to CB fish but I’m a Chinese hobbyist and we are only starting to get CB species other than Clowns. However having said this we are starting to get some angels from Bali Aquarich and a Captive Bred Goldflake will be the centerpiece I’m planning for my setup. Heard wild ones are a bit trickier. I would also love a Captive Bred Blueline from them, though we don’t get them nearly as often.

Six Lines have a mixed reputation. Some do just fine, others turn out to be demons. The general reputation isn’t great though they’re known for being good at pest control and look good. Four Line Wrasses belong to the same genus and I heard they are a bit less aggressive on average but I’m not sure. I just have a bad feeling about other wrasses being with a Six Line unless maybe the tank is very big. A Pink Streak would be an alternative. The Possum Wrasses are small and peaceful, don’t know about mixing them together but since they’re peaceful might be fine. However they do best in a peaceful tank that’s somewhat established, with a pod population. Have some high quality frozen on hand to get them to eat.

A trio of a more peaceful damsel species would add a nice splash of color. Azures, Talbot’s, Tracey’s are among the most peaceful.

Cardinals sounds good but Bangaiis need confirmed pairs. Seal’s Cardinals are a cool little fish. Pajamas are often kept in groups and seem to do well most of the time though I heard they get more feisty when there’s a breeding pair or two.

Clown Gobies can be kept in pairs easily, they easily change sex.

The Dottyback with the best reputation overall is the Orchid, though I heard some others aren’t too bad in terms of temperament.

CB Mandarin sounds great. Hopefully it will take frozen food and dry food much more readily.

It’s really sad how I don’t have access to more CB fish despite the fact that Biota has a big fish farm in Palau and I’m in the general region. ORA does not ship to consumers.

Good luck. What’s the hobby like in HI?

Not many hobbyists here that I know of (probably due to the high cost of electricity and the high cost of living). On top of that, we aren't allowed any corals. AFAIK All we can have is a few species of zoanthids and a sand anemone. Despite that fact, there is at least 1 decent LFS near where I live that carries net-caught fish (no cyanide or dynamite). The sell mostly fish found in Hawaii, Christmas Island, the Philippines, and Marshal Islands. They ship to US, Australia, Canada, and Asia. You might want to check them out. http://www.coralfishhi.com/

I don't want to hijack this thread, so if you want to talk more, feel free to message me!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 59 29.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 71 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.3%
Back