nsteinca

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
How much do yours grow? I've had one little red guy for two years that's chugging along, open and happy but hasn't grown an inch lol. Still about 2-3 inches in diameter
For the most part, mine are growing. I have a few that just don’t seem to grow at all and 1 that definitely seems like it’s shrunk. I’ll target feed all of them brine shrimp each night when I’m feeding the fish and that’s seemed to have really helped the ones that are growing. Haven’t figured out why some aren’t growing even though they’re eating regularly - maybe it’s just genetics or something lol. They range from the size of a dime (the shrinking one) to about 4”. Wouldn’t say it’s a very quick and noticeable growth, but over a couple months you’ll definitely see some modest growth on the ones that grow.

maxthisout

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
@TopShelfAquatics My wife made "chocolate chip pancakes" this morning for the family...

And yes, I am cooking our Thanksgiving meal today.

Attachments

• 20221124_072354.jpg
    20221124_072354.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 5

jkcoral

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
How much do yours grow? I've had one little red guy for two years that's chugging along, open and happy but hasn't grown an inch lol. Still about 2-3 inches in diameter

Target feeding meaty food once or twice a week promotes growth. Especially among the smaller ones, I’ve found regular target feeding can get them to pack on some size pretty quick for the first few years. After they are about 5 years old it seems the growth rate really levels off.

Have you bred fish in your tanks?

• I have bred saltwater fish

Votes: 37 13.5%
  • I have bred freshwater fish

Votes: 119 43.3%
  • Not yet, but I am interested in breeding fish

Votes: 64 23.3%
  • I think it is an interesting idea, but not my thing

Votes: 62 22.5%
  • I am not interested in breeding fish

Votes: 42 15.3%