TTM and Meds

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just looking for thoughts - i am planning to use the TTM and meds at the same time (starting with Cupramine). if i move fish every 36 hours, do i need 14 days with cupramine, or could i do less? maybe like 6 days of cupramine and then switch to Parizpro for 6 days..? im thinking - tank 1 - 36 hours cupramine, tank 2 - 36 hours cupramine, tank 3 - 36 hours parizpro, tank 4 - 36 hours parizpro... does that sound effective?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The TTM if done correctly is designed to 'outrun' the ich trophonts so I don't think you'd need copper.

The copper doesn't 'heal' a fish suffering a parasite outbreak as much as it is killing the free floating ich before it can reinfect a fish, or genetically damaging the next generation of ich.

IMO, I would think the transfers with copper would be quite stressful on a fish. I do a @Humblefish style quarantine in copper for 14 days, then transfer to a new clean tank for prazi. You don't have to wait a month in copper if they aren't staying in the same tank the entire time.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'm not a big fan of TTM. I think that moving fish that often in bare containers is problematic and the timing is prone to error. It is also a mostly theoretical process, and there are some diseases that it can't deal with. Neobenedenia and Gyrodactylus for example, will fly right through TTM.

While I would always quarantine my fish in a more traditional manner, I would be especially wary of TTM combined with chemotherapeutics - that is just more added stress.

My full quarantine is 30 days Coppersafe or Copper Power, 3x praziquantel treatments, a week apart, followed by 2 weeks (at least) of observation. If the fish are to go in with a lot of high value tankmates, I'll swap the 2 weeks observation for 35 days of hypo (to control Neo).

Jay

OP
OP
sunken3

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'm not a big fan of TTM. I think that moving fish that often in bare containers is problematic and the timing is prone to error. It is also a mostly theoretical process, and there are some diseases that it can't deal with. Neobenedenia and Gyrodactylus for example, will fly right through TTM.

While I would always quarantine my fish in a more traditional manner, I would be especially wary of TTM combined with chemotherapeutics - that is just more added stress.

My full quarantine is 30 days Coppersafe or Copper Power, 3x praziquantel treatments, a week apart, followed by 2 weeks (at least) of observation. If the fish are to go in with a lot of high value tankmates, I'll swap the 2 weeks observation for 35 days of hypo (to control Neo).

Jay
thank you for the advice!

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If TTM is your plan, I'd take a gander at the Humblefish sticky over in the Disease and Treatment section. But what Jay said is also a very good practice. TTM can be mucked up quite easily, and in regards to ich where it doesn't always show the signs, it can be spread to your display.

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Jay I have cupramine. Says 14 days and the most recent tidal garden video on WT also had 14 days for it. However Humble suggested using 30 days. Think I should just get copper safe if I’m wary of potency?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay I have cupramine. Says 14 days and the most recent tidal garden video on WT also had 14 days for it. However Humble suggested using 30 days. Think I should just get copper safe if I’m wary of potency?
I like to run copper for 30 days, but I worry that Cupramine is a bit too "strong". I think Coppersafe, while not as effective for active diseases, is better for long term treatment. I just finished a coppersafe treatment on 30 barred flagtails that went 45 days. I've kept fish as long as six months in full coppersafe back when I managed a pet store.

Jay

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to run copper for 30 days, but I worry that Cupramine is a bit too "strong". I think Coppersafe, while not as effective for active diseases, is better for long term treatment. I just finished a coppersafe treatment on 30 barred flagtails that went 45 days. I've kept fish as long as six months in full coppersafe back when I managed a pet store.

Jay
How about copper power?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about copper power?
I'm a lot less familiar with that, and I tend to use what I have a good track record with. I would say copper power is a bit stronger than coppersafe, but fewer side effects than cupramine...

Jay

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a lot less familiar with that, and I tend to use what I have a good track record with. I would say copper power is a bit stronger than coppersafe, but fewer side effects than cupramine...

Jay

Jay
Copper safe by fritz

Argos02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @Jay Hemdal ,

Due to copper treatments being relatively harsh, what is your expected fish loss percentage due to the relative harshness of the solution? I know it might be very different in reference to what fish is being treated, but maybe just some of the more common fish like tangs, dwarf angels, gammas/damsels/chromis/dottyback etc. And would you anticipate the more beginner aquarist to achieve the same rates or would expected survival rates be lower?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Jay,

Due to copper treatments being relatively harsh, what is your expected fish loss percentage due to the relative harshness of the solution? I know it might be very different in reference to what fish is being treated, but maybe just some of the more common fish like tangs, dwarf angels, gammas/damsels/chromis/dottyback etc. And would you anticipate the more beginner aquarist to achieve the same rates or would expected survival rates be lower?
With coppersafe, I would expect my loses to be zero from copper toxicity. Back when I used to run copper+citric acid, I'd guess perhaps 10% of the fish would have reactions, usually Centropyge angels or anthias.

Now - if you are talking quarantine losses for newly imported marine fish from ALL causes, that runs much higher. I bet green chromis losses are running above 60% now. I tracked some fish through the supply chain in various studies over the years and I have seen 45 days mortality rates for Indo- Pacific fish that ran from 9% to 45%

Jay

Argos02

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With coppersafe, I would expect my loses to be zero from copper toxicity. Back when I used to run copper+citric acid, I'd guess perhaps 10% of the fish would have reactions, usually Centropyge angels or anthias.

Jay
Oh wow. I have been told many fish perish from copper treatment in QT because it is harsh on the fish. Why wouldn't one take the time and dose copper? *I don't have a tank but researching for my first saltwater tank*

It seems there is a discussion (both sides with valid points) that say you shouldn't treat fish (prophylactic QT) unless they are sick, and more fish die from QT than actual disease. (or I guess fish die from just a QT that are entirely healthy) But if you are saying you experience zero fish death from copper treatment, this doesn't seem as though the previous statement is true.

Or am I confusing copper treatment with another QT treatment that causes some fish loss (that are otherwise healthy)? Maybe metronidazole (ie API General Cure)

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
sunken3

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think QT'ing is pretty safe when done properly. I agree with Jay, if you are QT'ing fish recently purchased, the death rate probably isn't caused by the copper but other issues (of course QT stress itself could be a part of that).. usually its a little bare tank.... not all that inviting. I honestly think ammonia could be the biggest risk, but is manageable if diligent.

i saw ammonia rising to detectable levels around 36-40 hours in my 10 gallon QT tanks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok and copper safe is 2.0 therapeutic? Or is it between 1.5-2.0?
I thought it was 2.0 I use it to label instructions and then redose back to that level with water changes.
Jay

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was 2.0 I use it to label instructions and then redose back to that level with water changes.
Jay
Treating 1 clown w no symptoms in qt. Says 5 teaspoons to 20 gallons. Should I ramp up over 5 days?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back