TTM for Cold(ish) Water Fish?

Majolica15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering the Tank Transfer Method for some blue striped pipefish and a deepwater basslet. I know that the pipefish are sensitive to many medications, and frankly, I'm not willing to risk the basslet by medicating unless absolutely necessary. They will ultimately be in a tank with seahorses, so I want to ensure they are as disease free as possible. I'll probably keep the tank at a max of 72 (that's what their current quarantine is). Is the TTM possible at this temperature? I know that temperature affects the lifecycle of ich. The deepwater basslet is coming directly from the ocean, and then it will be monitored for decompression issues and quarantine, but I'll be getting it immediately after that. So while I know that the pipefish could tolerate a warmer temperature, I think that trying to increase the temperature for the basslet would be unwise, even for a short time.

Alternatively, I could just stick to an observational quarantine. I've had the pipefish for a few weeks now, and they have shown no signs of disease. Pretty vicious little hunters, actually, even though they are the size of a flea. :D

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering the Tank Transfer Method for some blue striped pipefish and a deepwater basslet. I know that the pipefish are sensitive to many medications, and frankly, I'm not willing to risk the basslet by medicating unless absolutely necessary. They will ultimately be in a tank with seahorses, so I want to ensure they are as disease free as possible. I'll probably keep the tank at a max of 72 (that's what their current quarantine is). Is the TTM possible at this temperature? I know that temperature affects the lifecycle of ich. The deepwater basslet is coming directly from the ocean, and then it will be monitored for decompression issues and quarantine, but I'll be getting it immediately after that. So while I know that the pipefish could tolerate a warmer temperature, I think that trying to increase the temperature for the basslet would be unwise, even for a short time.

Alternatively, I could just stick to an observational quarantine. I've had the pipefish for a few weeks now, and they have shown no signs of disease. Pretty vicious little hunters, actually, even though they are the size of a flea. :D
What species of basslet?

I don’t know anyone who has worked out the timing for TTM at lower temperatures, and guessing probably isn’t a good idea.

While I often use observational quarantine for pipefish, basslets have no special consideration in that regard. However, if you are SURE it won’t be tanked with general imported fish, it would be pretty low risk to just go observational with it as well.

Jay

OP
OP
M

Majolica15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species of basslet?

I don’t know anyone who has worked out the timing for TTM at lower temperatures, and guessing probably isn’t a good idea.

While I often use observational quarantine for pipefish, basslets have no special consideration in that regard. However, if you are SURE it won’t be tanked with general imported fish, it would be pretty low risk to just go observational with it as well.

Jay
I'll check with the seller on that. He just sells out of his home, so pretty small scale. It's a bicolor basslet (lipogramma klayi).

And yes, that's kind of what I figured. I actually forgot about the temperature complication when I was initially thinking about it, so figured I'd ask.

Thanks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll check with the seller on that. He just sells out of his home, so pretty small scale. It's a bicolor basslet (lipogramma klayi).

And yes, that's kind of what I figured. I actually forgot about the temperature complication when I was initially thinking about it, so figured I'd ask.

Thanks.

Cool, I've never had a Klayi. I hear they are often pretty small/shy.

Jay

OP
OP
M

Majolica15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, I've never had a Klayi. I hear they are often pretty small/shy.

Jay
Yeah. They will go into a 32 gallon tank. Just one pair of seahorses, the trio of pipes and the Klayi. There's a fair amount of rock in there, so room for the little guy to hide, but it's open enough that I can see into almost all of the caves, if that makes sense. I'm hoping that with the ultra peaceful tankmates, it'll eventually get a bit more comfortable with coming out more. I'm working on growing a fair amount of macroalgae in the tank as well, so the animals will have more areas that feel covered and safe.

The seller did say that these fish tend to be pretty healthy, the primary concern is the potential for swim bladder issues, obviously, due to the depth they are collected at.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back