TTM for fish treated with copper below therapeutic range

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, how are you doing. Sorry this will be a long post, but the main questions are in Bold.

I am in the process of restarting my tank after a velvet wipeout. The surviving fish are in a hospital tank treating them with CP. I want to start restocking slowly and start doing TTM on new arrivals. I reserved a powder blue tang a month ago and it is doing great in the LFS. When I first asked them they said that they quarantine fish and medicate them in the tanks before moving them to display, but then after several discussions and questions I discovered that they treat the fish in quarantine for a week or two with copper and praziquantel pro, then they move them into display tank which are dosed at 0.3 and not always monitored. So basically there is a very high chance that parasites are still available. From my understanding, treating fish with copper below the recommended dosage will hide the symptoms of the parasites for weeks.

Now the question is: If the fish is exposed to copper (below therapeutic range) and parasites are present but showing no effect, will TTM be effective, or should I wait few weeks and then start TTM procedure. (very likely fish are exposed to ich because another tank [seperate system] has kole eye tang with two white spots)

I observed 3 PBT, one of them developed 1 white spot that went away the next day, so I kept my eyes on the other two and both had no signs of ich or any other infection at all, but still copper is present so its risky to decide.
And can someone explain why copper at low levels hide the symptoms? Does the parasite still reproduce normally but at much lower concentration since some are killed by copper, or does it go to a state similar to hibernation where when copper is stopped it will become active again?

Im very disappointed with shops not being honest about their quarantine procedures and running copper in their displays at low conc. Whenever I go to a store they convince me that they are doing very thorough quarantine where fish spend like 7 days acclimating, then 3 weeks treatment then 2 weeks observation before being sold, and then when you investigate more and try asking several questions about quarantine method or procedure you find out its all lies, most of them just quarantine for a week in order to remove fish that couldn't handle the shipping and then the fishes hit the display tank with copper to cover anything. I understand that they want to sell and be profitable, but I think many of us are willing to pay extra for fish but we know that it has been properly quarantined and no fishy business is involved especially the useless toxic chemicals the fish are always exposed to.

Sorry for the long post :D

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the question is: If the fish is exposed to copper (below therapeutic range) and parasites are present but showing no effect, will TTM be effective, or should I wait few weeks and then start TTM procedure. (very likely fish are exposed to ich because another tank [seperate system] has kole eye tang with two white spots)
Yes. TTM will still be effective for them assuming it's actually ich and not velvet.
And can someone explain why copper at low levels hide the symptoms? Does the parasite still reproduce normally but at much lower concentration since some are killed by copper, or does it go to a state similar to hibernation where when copper is stopped it will become active again?

Simply put, the low levels of copper will kill some of the parasites but not all. It reduces their numbers and for the most part these parasites like to live in the gills where there is little resistance against them. So, with fewer numbers in the system, they will be in the gills and not so much on the body like in a system with a full blown infestation. Does that make sense? I tried but it's getting late and I'm pretty sleepy.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^Agree; I will just add that it can take up to 30 days for symptoms of ich & velvet to resurface, if a fish (with either disease) has been exposed to subtherapeutic copper. o_O

OP
OP
aykwm

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update: So I bought the fish I mentioned and started TTM immediately, and today as I was doing tank transfer and placed the fish in new tank I noticed he has 2 white spots. It doesn't look like ich so far, its just white and sits flush with the skin, could it be because its still new and developing? Also the fish is stressed and has light whitish stripes as tangs usually do while stressed, so maybe these spots are just stress marks?
Should I continue TTM normally, or should I reset to day 1?

Also, I noticed that after the tank transfer the tang stopped eating, it's still healthy and actively swimming, breathing was fast once moved but now slowed down to normal and stress marks seems to be fading away. Im feeding the tang medicated food: pellets and flakes and nori (soaked with selcon, garlic, focus, metroplex, kanaplex). Also, I'm dosing paraguard just as general treatment. Any suggestions to get it back to eating.

Also Im using 10 gallon for this 3-3.5" tang, but the tank is long just shorter than 2 foot but a bit narrow and shallow, from what I understand for tangs its important to provide long swimming space, so might it be stressed from the tank? I dose prime twice daily and do tank transfers every day but planning to do them every other day soon and so far no ammonia readings. I also keep salinity a bit low, around 1.022-23 just incase of water evaporation but so far it doesn't seem I'm losing that much water that makes me want to top it off (its a covered tank), by the end of day one salinity seems to be the same or maybe went up by 0.001. And finally of course I have ayirstone in the tank to keep circulation and aeration, I have 4 air stones so I can keep swapping, and once one is used its placed in hot water then dried.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@aykwm Can you post photos of the fish, showing the 2 white spots? That might give us a better idea of what you're dealing with here.

OP
OP
aykwm

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually now that I look at it, it looks like 3 spots. Its only on one side, the other side is clear. Fins are also clear, breathing is slow and normal.
fBdWyi9.jpg

FjofimM.jpg

Excuse the photo quality, very active fish and very hard to get the spots in focus, but as you can see they are not protruding from the skin.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be flukes. Keep an eye out to see if they slowly crawl over the skin (or remain stationary.) Have you dewormed yet?

OP
OP
aykwm

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by LFS that they run copper at 0.3 and also prazi pro. I think I might try a fresh water dip to check, but so far no symptoms of flukes, eyes are clear, breathing is normal, swimming is also normal, back and forth with no signs to scratching or twitching. But maybe its still in early stages.

OP
OP
aykwm

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish Just an update, I woke up today and saw nothing on the tang, the white spots disappeared, and now its eating again. There are now no symptoms at all of being ill. I didn't get the chance to do fresh water dip, should I do it to ensure no flukes are there? What else should I do?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish Just an update, I woke up today and saw nothing on the tang, the white spots disappeared, and now its eating again. There are now no symptoms at all of being ill. I didn't get the chance to do fresh water dip, should I do it to ensure no flukes are there? What else should I do?

I would dose Prazipro in conjunction with TTM. 24 hours before every other transfer i.e. Transfers 2 & 4 OR 3 & 5.

Back