TTM question

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve used TTM very successfully in the past. Currently I have a new Foxface that’s in Tank 1.
I know TTM is only good for ich, and flukes (I add prazi pro to tanks 2 and 4), but not for marine velvet. If I’m using TTM, how long should I watch the fish after I’m done with the 4th tank to make sure there is no velvet or other diseases?
Thanks!

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am not directly answering your question as I have not personally tried the TTM method, but I have been researching the hybrid TTM after I picked up a non-QT'ed fish. Perhaps, reading/skimming the thread below may offer an adaptation for where you are now.

Good luck!

Adirondackgold

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am completing the TTM tomorrow. Posted about this on another thread. And read the humble fish link above before I started -- very helpful

This is my set-up for a modified TTM as outlined by lab at Roger Williams https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2017/02/10/bucket-transfer-qt-method/ with some ideas borrowed from humble fish to treat for everything. I have just started a new tank currently populated only by trusted fish from the old tank I am QT everything else.

Twelve days ago received three small to medium tang (powder brown, purple and blue) have one each in the clear QT containers, Complete set of back up containers with replacement airlines and pvc hideaways to do a daily change for the first seven days. Sterilizing along the way. (Then I switched to 48 hour transfers more in keeping with humble fish approach above which treats ich and velvet and everything we hope!)

In the green 5 gallon I have one small and one medium wrasse and one basslet who had been observational housing together the last two weeks plu. They look great and I can't bring myself to give them copper. So I used TTM for them in the five gallon. Using the five gallons because i have a dozen new for the coming planting and horse work. So will use them new for the fish and avoid the need to sanitize after each daily change (I hate doing dishes). Otherwise same protocols. (At least 24 hours prazipro; and daily one hundred percent water transfer from my new tank with trusted fish). No other medications planned unless something presents.

This is a modified Roger Williams approach in that I will not fresh water dip (they suggested a two minute minimum each day). My reasons are I worry about the stress already with constant water changes and small housing. I am doing my best to reduce other stresses by food and water change timing eliminate ammonia concerns. (Have specifc gravity temperature match water as i use display tank water to fill and daily change QT containers (300 gallon total system so dumping about 15 gallon on quarantine not hard, plus gives my new tank a pretty constant 5 percent water change. Saves me on salt too.) But don't see what the fresh water dips would have gotten me that Prazi doesn't. It is a temporary symptoms relief and I would have needed praziquantel anyway from what i have read. So why stress the fish to relieve symptoms that aint appearing?

Any way Tomorrow is day 12!!! and I am releasing all to my display tank. Observationally they look good (except one wrasse who now feigns death and a broken back if ever he sees me looking -- seems to swim alright when he wants to though).

Going direct to my DT is still considered aggressive from what I have read. But here is my thinking:

1. TTM should have worked -- so ich marine etc addressed. Prazi took care of the other stuff. (On wrasse and basslet though I only single dosed praziquantel (they didn't like it) But had them on multiple weeks observation QT before started TTM. Also came from a system that claimed to dose of praziquantel. So I feel sort of comfortable and decided not to do second dose.)
2. If I think i have treated everything why am putting them and me through more stress? TTM is some work. Certainly an hour plus a day for me counting the daily disinfection/cleaning. Time to rest. I can observe in DT.

3. Worse case, point two above proves to be as stupid as it might be. I put them in the DT and turns out I missed something. I haven't added inverts to DT yet (they are in a diff fishes QT) and have another 30 days before I can even think of adding. So if something appears in display tank in the next 30 days , I can treat and stay as fish only while I treat.

Lot to think about - but I guess this hit my balance. Plus copper scared me. This method of spending twelve days outrunning everything that might be gaining on me (plus any off spring that they might produce)-- seemed sort of math, science and mechanically "elegant".

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 12.38.30 AM.png

Last edited:

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N
I am completing the TTM tomorrow. Posted about this on another thread. And read the humble fish link above before I started -- very helpful

This is my set-up for a modified TTM as outlined by lab at Roger Williams https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2017/02/10/bucket-transfer-qt-method/ with some ideas borrowed from humble fish to treat for everything. I have just started a new tank currently populated only by trusted fish from the old tank I am QT everything else.

Twelve days ago received three small to medium tang (powder brown, purple and blue) have one each in the clear QT containers, Complete set of back up containers with replacement airlines and pvc hideaways to do a daily change for the first seven days. Sterilizing along the way. (Then I switched to 48 hour transfers more in keeping with humble fish approach above which treats ich and velvet and everything we hope!)

In the green 5 gallon I have one small and one medium wrasse and one basslet who had been observational housing together the last two weeks plu. They look great and I can't bring myself to give them copper. So I used TTM for them in the five gallon. Using the five gallons because i have a dozen new for the coming planting and horse work. So will use them new for the fish and avoid the need to sanitize after each daily change (I hate doing dishes). Otherwise same protocols. (At least 24 hours prazipro; and daily one hundred percent water transfer from my new tank with trusted fish). No other medications planned unless something presents.

This is a modified Roger Williams approach in that I will not fresh water dip (they suggested a two minute minimum each day). My reasons are I worry about the stress already with constant water changes and small housing. I am doing my best to reduce other stresses by food and water change timing eliminate ammonia concerns. (Have specifc gravity temperature match water as i use display tank water to fill and daily change QT containers (300 gallon total system so dumping about 15 gallon on quarantine not hard, plus gives my new tank a pretty constant 5 percent water change. Saves me on salt too.) But don't see what the fresh water dips would have gotten me that Prazi doesn't. It is a temporary symptoms relief and I would have needed praziquantel anyway from what i have read. So why stress the fish to relieve symptoms that aint appearing?

Any way Tomorrow is day 12!!! and I am releasing all to my display tank. Observationally they look good (except one wrasse who now feigns death and a broken back if ever he sees me looking -- seems to swim alright when he wants to though).

Going direct to my DT is still considered aggressive from what I have read. But here is my thinking:

1. TTM should have worked -- so ich marine etc addressed. Prazi took care of the other stuff. (On wrasse and basslet though I only single dosed praziquantel (they didn't like it) But had them on multiple weeks observation QT before started TTM. Also came from a system that claimed to dose of praziquantel. So I feel sort of comfortable and decided not to do second dose.)
2. If I think i have treated everything why am putting them and me through more stress? TTM is some work. Certainly an hour plus a day for me counting the daily disinfection/cleaning. Time to rest. I can observe in DT.

3. Worse case, point two above proves to be as stupid as it might be. I put them in the DT and turns out I missed something. I haven't added inverts to DT yet (they are in a diff fishes QT) and have another 30 days before I can even think of adding. So if something appears in display tank in the next 30 days , I can treat and stay as fish only while I treat.

Lot to think about - but I guess this hit my balance. Plus copper scared me. This method of spending twelve days outrunning everything that might be gaining on me (plus any off spring that they might produce)-- seemed sort of math, science and mechanically "elegant".

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 12.38.30 AM.png
Not a criticism but just a way to up your game a bit. I had some problems with a very similar setup to what you are doing, but was suffering some loss. Turns out the air stones were the problem. When I bought 4 Innovative Marine mini jet wave pumps, turn them all the way down on the power and set them to random, with the wave pump on the bottom of the tank pointing straight up, my success rate went through the roof. No airstones necessary.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back