TTM valentini puffer laying on side

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just did my first tank transfer at the 72 hour mark. Puffer has been laying on his side for the past 2.5 days. However I have seen him swim around a couple of times but what's concerning is that he'll swim to the top. I believe that I have proper aeration. The orange spotted blenny seems fine. He'll dart to the other side if I disturb the tank. However I can't get him to eat nori or seaweed extreme. Anybody know that's going on with the puffer? And no the tank's not cycled. There's no time for ammonia to develop.

20210907_203618.jpg 20210906_145138.jpg 20210907_204327.jpg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you know what you are doing. He may have just come to you a little too sick (or stressed, or both) to make it. If you do become concerned about the ammonia in that size tank with two fish in it, you could always transfer sooner— like 24 or 48 hours— but appropriately extend the total number of days in transfer. I would just ride it out and hope he makes it, however, you ‘could’ mix the proper amount of General Cure into each transfer tank, as a bit of a shotgun approach.

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It sounds like you know what you are doing. He may have just come to you a little too sick (or stressed, or both) to make it. If you do become concerned about the ammonia in that size tank with two fish in it, you could always transfer sooner— like 24 or 48 hours— but appropriately extend the total number of days in transfer. I would just ride it out and hope he makes it, however, you ‘could’ mix the proper amount of General Cure into each transfer tank, as a bit of a shotgun approach.
I had intended on doing the hybrid TTM and perform the hydrogen peroxide bath prior to the transfer today but with how stressed they seem, especially the puffer, I decided to skip it. Not sure if general cure would add more stress but if it doesn't, then sure I'll try that.

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just thought I'd give an update for those who might have this issue in the future. After 3 days of laying on his side, he's been swimming around all day. I assume he was just stressed from the new environment.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd give an update for those who might have this issue in the future. After 3 days of laying on his side, he's been swimming around all day. I assume he was just stressed from the new environment.
Great update. One thing to watch and often forgotten about is to try to also match pH between waters when switching.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back