Ttm velvet successful or inconsistent?

Lancelogan1217

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used ttm for ich, but recently heard from a friend, it can also work for velvet. A look into it I saw there may be some validity to his claims. Anyone use this method? And if so how did it turn out? Thanks in advance

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think TTM will work for velvet as the life cycle is 4 days where ich is only 48 hours. Fish are usually dead in a couple days (so before the first transfer). Do you not have access to \copper to cure the infection?

OP
OP
L

Lancelogan1217

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have velvet. It came up in conversation. I think a lot of us would rather not use copper if not absolutely necessary. Id much rather use h202 and ttm personally, as copper is poison. Its more so the idea of q.t 'ing incoming fish. Wether or not this is actually affective or not?

Humblefish states it can be affective with 36 hr transfers in the first 7 days.

Last edited:

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truth of the matter is as long as you have one drop of infected water your not really getting rid of it. At any given time the ich/velvet can be in different life stages. Some would still be in the water.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the write up I was speaking of. Have you tried this? Whats your thoughts? I too, like spieg, was always under the impression ttm wouldn't work for velvet.
I haven't personally done this. Only did the regular method for ich. Thankfully I haven't seen velvet.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used ttm for ich, but recently heard from a friend, it can also work for velvet. A look into it I saw there may be some validity to his claims. Anyone use this method? And if so how did it turn out? Thanks in advance
I don't think TTM is consistently effective against velvet - the thought is that some theronts can survive in the fish's gill mucus and never have to leave the fish. Also, as stated, velvet/Amyloodinium kills so fast, many treatments (including copper) don't have time to work. That's why I strongly advocate for all fish to be preventively treated with Coppersafe for 30 days.

TTM has some other major drawbacks - the excess handling it imposes, it doesn't work on flukes, plus the need for a clean system to move the fish into once done.

Jay

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done TTM on every fish in my tank, including a yellow tang. I transfer every 48 hrs for the first 8 days, which should be double the period for velvet to drop of. Then three more transfers every 48 hrs to take me out to 14 days, covering ich. This is one of those Ford vs Chevy topics where everyone has an opinion, and are going to do what they want in the end. I've been dosing general cure for the 14 days, but I believe flukes may have gotten through on one of my fish. So I'm tweaking my process with three rounds of prazi and peroxide baths, one before I start TTM, one at 7 days, and one at the end.

My fish are small, with the exception of the tang. I quarantine one to three at a time in 2.5 gallons of water in plastic totes with some pvc and an air stone. Transferring lets me feed heavy, and have no ammonia problems throughout the process. Copper obviously works, but feeding heavy in a small quarantine tank with no biological filtration seems to be asking for trouble. My way keeps the fish in pristine water the entire time, and is over in two weeks.

OP
OP
L

Lancelogan1217

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think TTM is consistently effective against velvet - the thought is that some theronts can survive in the fish's gill mucus and never have to leave the fish. Also, as stated, velvet/Amyloodinium kills so fast, many treatments (including copper) don't have time to work. That's why I strongly advocate for all fish to be preventively treated with Coppersafe for 30 days.

TTM has some other major drawbacks - the excess handling it imposes, it doesn't work on flukes, plus the need for a clean system to move the fish once done.
I've had success with treating velvet in the past. But time really was of the essence, and chloroquine phosphate was my drug of choice. With that said ive used copper too, but it was a pain in the ...
For many of us we have one display, and empty q.t tanks. The problem I've found with copper is the instability in keeping biological bacteria. Your display has 10 fish, all go to q.t. Quick cycling with biospira or one and only has been hit or miss. Seemingly always having ammonia spikes. I may be doing it wrong, but in your opinion, how do you quick cycle a tank for a 30 day treatment of copper, knowing you can't seed from your d.t?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back