TTM Volume for Larger Fish

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at putting my current livestock through TTM to eradicate ich between tank upgrades.
I've only ever done it on one fish before in a 20 gallon so I didn't have any issues, beyond cross contamination.

Anyways, I haven't found much in the way of volume per fish for TTM, to combat both aggression and ammonia, as I will also be dosing prazi as I didn't have access to it when I bought my livestock, so prime is out of the question for some of the transfers.

The fish I have.
4" Hippo Tang
2.5-3" Maroon Clown
5-6" Marine Betta
~16" Greyfaced Moray Eel.

I know in theory the eel shouldn't need it, but I want to do it to them all just to be on the absolute safe side. Ich sucks.

Powertool-2010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you aren't worried about salt or making saltwater just buy an add on RO membrane to boost water output brs has a kit, I don't think it is horrible expensive...
Actually are you trying to tell me your RO system produces less than 25g per day? What is it rated for to begin with? I revise my afore mentioned statement to (verify you don't have pressure drops in the sediment and carbon filters prior to the RO membranes, and buy 2 new RO membranes. My bet is that your RO membrane is clogged and your not getting the full output you're supposed to be getting.

I cannot give tank size suggestions as I don't have experience with your livestock. Generally bigger is better than not big enough. You do only need to get them through the 12 days for ttm to be successful though, sooo...
On the same topic though, I would recommend plastic storage containers instead of actual tanks. They are just way easier to store and source and since most of the time you are just going to be storing them, aesthetic is minimal and you don't have to worry about them breaking. Or you can just use them for Christmas decorations afterwards.

I was under the impression that prazipro was stable with prime, just make sure there is proper aeration.

I love ttm. It is in my opinion the most versatile, because you don't need medication or measurement devices, and it doesn't matter what fish your using it on. All you need is just a box with water and an air stone. just keep in mind that its sole purpose is to eliminate ich. Observation is still necessary to prevent introduction of other diseases (not necessarily pertinent for you since you are just upgrading their tank situation)

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's rated for 75gp/d. I wish it was only the membranes. It's just terrible water pressure, a problem with my whole town. Run 24 hours a day, I can get about 20 gallons. It's rediculous, been that way from day one. Even the "RO" water the stores here sell has a TDS of 150+, though I don't know how much that would really matter for TTM? Salt isn't much of an issue as I have enough on hand for almost 200 gallons, which I guess would get eaten up if using significant volumes.

It was always my intention to use storage containers, if just that they're $20 each or less, but at least around me, the biggest ones top out at 40 gallons. Really my only concern is that dang eel. Which again, in theory doesn't need it, but I am being overly paranoid. Ich can hang. Maybe worth doing them separately, uses more salt, but salt is the one thing that is cheap here. Territory issues wouldn't be a problem in the new tank either, as he is and will be for a long time, the biggest, baddest guy in there.

That's also my concern with the prazi and prime, I would absolutely hate to suffocate my fish by accident at this point. And yeah, fortunately all they have is ich, and no visible symptoms currently. To my knowledge, there might be internals, hence the prazi.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back