TTM

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi just wanted to know while doing a TTM treatment can I clean the tank using boiling water from the kettle? Instead of using vinegar ?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One hour of contact time of water maintained at 40 degrees C will kill ich. Conceivably, so long as contact is ensured, boiling water will kill ich.

However, this isn't something I would use in practice. Glass and boiling water have a way of not getting along with each other. More importantly, pouring boiling water is difficult to ensure adequate contact with the full surface area of the tank. One cannot rely simply on the ambient temperature from the boiling water to adequately sterilize the entirety of the tank. Therefore, one would need to apply the boiling water evenly or fill the tank. As boiling water can be tricky to spread and is not fun to fill a tank up with, it's not my first choice. However, so long as contact is ensured, it will likely work.

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One hour of contact time of water maintained at 40 degrees C will kill ich. Conceivably, so long as contact is ensured, boiling water will kill ich.

However, this isn't something I would use in practice. Glass and boiling water have a way of not getting along with each other. More importantly, pouring boiling water is difficult to ensure adequate contact with the full surface area of the tank. One cannot rely simply on the ambient temperature from the boiling water to adequately sterilize the entirety of the tank. Therefore, one would need to apply the boiling water evenly or fill the tank. As boiling water can be tricky to spread and is not fun to fill a tank up with, it's not my first choice. However, so long as contact is ensured, it will likely work.

But the tank will be cleaned or filled with boiling water and then emptied and left to air dry for 48 hours? Isn’t that enough to kill it even if the boiling water doesn’t

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, desication for >24 hours is sufficient to kill the tomont and theront stage. I was simply responding to the use of boiling water as a treatment and the various considerations of using that as a monotherapy for sterilization.

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, desication for >24 hours is sufficient to kill the tomont and theront stage. I was simply responding to the use of boiling water as a treatment and the various considerations of using that as a monotherapy for sterilization.
Cheers bud appreciate it

Back