Tube Anemone Reproduction - 1 to 5 in 3 months!

introvert.invert_hba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!! Has anyone had any experience with tube anemone reproduction? Apparently mine was fertile!

I’ve had my tank set up since June (new to reefing, but multiple marine science degrees) and I put one tube nem in and in late July I had a little nem pop up. Two weeks ago, I found two more and this morning I found a third. The two I found recently were in random places which make me think it spawned? However the the first juvenile and the last one have appeared under the original tube and the second tube nem for the last one.

I seem to be popping out tube nem babies and I love that. But to my understanding, we don’t fully understand their reproduction. I’ve read things about them being hermaphrodites, being male when smaller and female when larger.

I want to know your thoughts and experiences!!!

I’m attaching a photo of the first four!

my set up is a fluval 13.5 with 1 tube anemone (now five nems), 1 damsel, 1 female emerald crab, 1 female porcelain crab, 1 Mexican turbo, 1 lightening dove, 1 fighting conch, 2 nerite (I think) snails and 1 teeny Astrinia. And truthfully, my snails can’t keep up cleaning the glass. I have lots of algae - green hair, diatoms, red coralline, green (in sand bed) and those teeny polychaete worms that grow on the glass. And I used to have a sand sifting goby, but emerald crab murdered it and the replacement jumped out the feeding opening on the lid.

8F798C65-BC54-4D9B-B3A5-229244AF8A8D.jpeg image.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are right about the reproduction of tube anemones not being well understood.

It was the same way for Rock Flower Anemones not so long ago and I made it my goal to learn more. Science knew there were male and female RFAs but there was no info on when or why they spawn or how long the gestation period was. Now we know they can spawn several times a year and the gestation time is between 25 and 35 days.

Good luck as you continue with these guys. It's very cool that yours have reproduced. Most reefers struggle just to keep them alive!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi!! Has anyone had any experience with tube anemone reproduction? Apparently mine was fertile!

I’ve had my tank set up since June (new to reefing, but multiple marine science degrees) and I put one tube nem in and in late July I had a little nem pop up. Two weeks ago, I found two more and this morning I found a third. The two I found recently were in random places which make me think it spawned? However the the first juvenile and the last one have appeared under the original tube and the second tube nem for the last one.

I seem to be popping out tube nem babies and I love that. But to my understanding, we don’t fully understand their reproduction. I’ve read things about them being hermaphrodites, being male when smaller and female when larger.

my set up is a fluval 13.5 with 1 tube anemone (now five nems), 1 damsel, 1 female emerald crab, 1 female porcelain crab, 1 Mexican turbo, 1 lightening dove, 1 fighting conch, 2 nerite (I think) snails and 1 teeny Astrinia. And truthfully, my snails can’t keep up cleaning the glass. I have lots of algae - green hair, diatoms, red coralline, green (in sand bed) and those teeny polychaete worms that grow on the glass. And I used to have a sand sifting goby, but emerald crab murdered it and the replacement jumped out the feeding opening on the lid.

This rare but awesome. Ive always been fascinated with these nems, but my Copperband butterfly is too

juliersavage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

juliersavage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey science person...I have these guys popping up in my tank. I have been scouring the internet for a possible identification and found this forum. They don't look like any pests I've seen photos of and I'm new to this hobby. I posted a thread but don't have any replies yet. Could these be baby tube anenome? I recently added one to my tank and a week later I have these and it's driving me crazy.

Attachments

• 20240222_175910.jpg
    20240222_175910.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240222_174851.jpg
    20240222_174851.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 23
Back