Tube anemones sharing a tube? General thoughts on care

GoodKat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I wanted to pose a general question to anyone who keeps tube anemones and share my experience so far. Has anyone heard of the species sharing a tube? Picture a "U" shape with tentacles coming from both ends. Does anyone having any information about this? Could it be spawning?

6 months ago purchased what I that was a single tube anemone from my LFS for 40$. To my surprise, we I got home I realized that there was a second tube anemone coming from other end of the "tube".

I have don't have pictures because I am rectulant to dig the anemones out of the sand bed, but I posted some "above the sand bed" pictures below.

For anyone debating the needs and requirements, here is my experience with them over 6 months in my red sea 170:

- They have not harmed any of my fish (2 clowns, gramma, 2x red ruby dragonets, and sand shifting sleeper goby (he frequently swims by them and digs forcing them to close up.)
- I run a warm aquarium 78.6 and most articles say they require 68-74 degree water.
- I feed 3-4 times a week using tiny bits of meaty frozen food.
- They grow pretty fast.
- Their stings seems weak, and they don't live up to the fish killer reputation.
- Actinic light makes them look amazing.

Let me know if you have any questions. The best source of information I found on them was:

I hope this helps someone!

20200524_230309.jpg 20200524_230301.jpg 20200524_230258.jpg

Last edited:

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonderful. No they are most definitely not fish killers or eaters, they're great so long as you have the sand and room for them. I haven't seen one with two, although it's likely the ends are joined and you have two separate anemones. Score.

mar.deezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought one and my rose goby (rosey) swam into it and stunned her real bad. She was frozen with her mouth gaping open for about 15 hours i really thought she was gonna die. It was crazy my clown (goldie) seemed to be taking care of her. Goldie was staying real close to rosie and laying on his side on top of rosie. It was crazy it was like he was hugging her lol i dunno. Maybe it stunned her so bad because shes so little. But these tube anemones definitely have a sting!

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the Info all! I’m thinking of getting one and any additional knowledge would help.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back