Here’s the picture

7DF30D8F-8810-4907-9AE5-663A34AB4C03.jpeg

Brofessor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably feather duster worms then. Tube worms/vermatid snails are red and extend out a single long tentacle. They're easy to spot after you've scraped algae because it gets stuck to them.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feather dusters are good guys, harmless filter feeders.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably feather duster worms then. Tube worms/vermatid snails are red and extend out a single long tentacle. They're easy to spot after you've scraped algae because it gets stuck to them.
Tube worms and vermetid snail are two different things.

Brofessor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tube worms and vermetid snail are two different things.

Really? The last time I Googled 'tube worms reef tank', all I got were pictures of vermetid snails. Have I been wrong all this time?

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? The last time I Googled 'tube worms reef tank', all I got were pictures of vermetid snails. Have I been wrong all this time?
This is the problem with using common names. Vermetids are snails and tube worms are worms. The term "tube worms" is pretty generic and encompasses a lot of worms. Coco worms, feather dusters, spirorbids, etc are all tube worms. I'm too lazy to look up the name right now (making me a part of the problem...lol), but there is a tube worm that looks like a vermetids tube. I suspect that a lot of these threads incorrectly identify harmless tube worms as vermetids. Nobody asks specifics. They just say vermetids and tell you to get rid of them. Thousands of innocent tube worms are killed each year...lol.

The main way to tell them apart is that vermetids cast a thready "net" that catches particles in the water column. This net is what is said to irritate corals. OTOH, the tube worms have two little appendages that stick out slightly. These do not irritate corals at all.

Brofessor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, thanks! So what are the ones that are in a little red tube and throw out a single long tentacle? Because I've been getting more and more of those.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back