Tubes? growing on base of frogspawn (don't think it's vermetids)

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what's growing out of th base of this frogspawn?

I thought originally that it might be new heads growing but then I noticed tiny little hairs coming out of each "tube." If it's vermetids, it's very different from the variety I am familiar with...

It's hard to get a clear picture because the hairs are so small but if you look to the left side, you can see the spiky little hairs poking out. It looks like its growing directly out of the skeleton, not on it.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones on the left look like feather dusters. Lucky you! My wrasses kill any feather duster that pops up unfortunately. That big one on the right might be a vermetid---although I can't tell for sure. If it is, dab some superglue in that sucker right away.

OP
OP
Mattyreefs

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think it's feather dusters. I have a lot of different types and different sizes and this is completely different from those. It's just two single "hairs" poking out of the base. Whatever they are, they are all the same but the one's on the right are a little larger.

OP
OP
Mattyreefs

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, my experience with vermetids is that they grow a tube seperate from whatever they are attached to. These are actually growing out of the skeleton. There is no transition at all from the frogspawn to the "tube"

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would research colonial hydroids altho two "hairs" is common for some vermetids.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not super clear, but looks like baby heads to me on the right and spionid worm on the left.

OP
OP
Mattyreefs

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to get better pictures. What is throwing me off is that it looks to be forming completely out of the skeleton like a growth, not a separate tube like you typically see with vermetids or feather dusters or spionid worms, etc.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Mattyreefs

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled the frag and took some video. Looks like there's a bunch of stuff going on here.

Noticed this white worm for the first time. Moved around on its own but didn't react to being touched. Couldn't tell where it was actually coming from but I pulled it out.

I think there's definitely a bunch of new heads around the whole base but I can see now that the little hairs aren't coming from the tubes like I thought. They're kind of just poking out of the base of the frag.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gl, there isn't much you can do about the worms, they are deep in the corals skeleton. But, they shouldn't further bother the frogspawn and young.

Edit: trying to cover up the tubes will force the worms to make new tunnels in the skeleton. I don't know of any predators.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back