Tubing Fell Apart <6mos

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
I got myself the ReefBot for Christmas. Been doing fine, until I realized there was a leak. I found the waste line tubing on the outside had corroded and fell apart at the barb, so I replaced it. After tonight's tests ran, found it had leaked again, so I opened the back panel and found all the joints of the waste line had corroded.
I tried to contact support and got an error that I was not allowed to contact support. I have never tried contacting them before so I have no idea why I have essentially being blocked.
I don't really know where to go from here. I might be able to with some patience replace the tubing, but I don't feel tubing falling apart in 6 months is appropriate.

RB 4.jpg RB 3.jpg RB 1.jpg RB 2.jpg

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Holy smokes!! 6 months old and that happens I would be ripping. Plus that is really strange you are blocked from CS.

OP
OP
Squishie89

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
So I got a reply from Reef Kinetics, they said my salt content was too high and was causing this issue. I checked my salinity and it is actually a little low (~1.024) (read with a recalibrated refractometer and confirmed with my Apex). Soooo curious to see what their next reply is going to be.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Do you happen to know what type of tubing is being used for the waste line? From the picture, it looks like soft silicone tubing to me, but I suppose it could be harder polyethylene tubing (like the type used for RODI systems). If you know what type of tubing it is, it would be easier (albeit not easy) to figure out what chemicals from your test kits are degrading it. Regardless, that tubing is being chemically corroded. I'd find it very hard to believe that salinity levels of your tank water are a contributing factor here. The most likely culprit is that you're using a combination of test kits that Reef Kinetics didn't evaluate during their QA/QC testing. And either individual chemicals used in those kits or a combination of them are corroding your waste tubing. What test kits are you using?

OP
OP
Squishie89

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Do you happen to know what type of tubing is being used for the waste line? From the picture, it looks like soft silicone tubing to me, but I suppose it could be harder polyethylene tubing (like the type used for RODI systems). If you know what type of tubing it is, it would be easier (albeit not easy) to figure out what chemicals from your test kits are degrading it. Regardless, that tubing is being chemically corroded. I'd find it very hard to believe that salinity levels of your tank water are a contributing factor here. The most likely culprit is that you're using a combination of test kits that Reef Kinetics didn't evaluate during their QA/QC testing. And either individual chemicals used in those kits or a combination of them are corroding your waste tubing. What test kits are you using?
It does feel like soft silicone tubing, it is not RODI tubing.
I am using test kits they work with. It is the Red Sea Phosphate Low Range, and Tropic Marin Pro Nitrate

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
It does feel like soft silicone tubing, it is not RODI tubing.
I am using test kits they work with. It is the Red Sea Phosphate Low Range, and Tropic Marin Pro Nitrate
I'm sorry for the delayed response. I never got a notice about your reply. This has been happening to me recently on R2R and I'm not sure why. In any case, did customer service end up being any more help? If you're using the same test kits they've used, I'm really puzzled as to why the corrosion is happening in your case. Is there any chance you put the reagent bottles in the wrong positions?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back