Tubing for mixing station

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for flexible clear tubing to use for transferring RODI and saltwater from my mixing station. I have barbed fittings that are supposed to be 1/2". I have some 1/2" clear tubing from a siphon setup that came with a used tank and it is great except it doesn't fit the barbed fittings. I went to Lowes and bought some 5/8 that fits the barbed fittings perfectly. However it is junk and kinks so bad everywhere that I have to hold it up or the water stops. I found a couple aquarium places online that sell 5/8 tubing but I don't want to end up with more of the same junk I got at Lowes. Hoping that someone could recommend a source for heavier thickness in 5/8.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When looking at the tubing online...

Subtract the ID from the OD and then divide by 2. This will give you the wall thickness of the tubing.

Look at what you have from Lowes/HD to give you an idea of what's too thin.

I wish they would just advertise the wall thickness on the tubing ordered. Also, braided vinyl tubing is thicker and less bendy for kinks.

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
HJ99

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions. Turns out the good 1/2 stuff I have fits inside the flimsy 5/8 nice and tight. So for now, I'm going to try just using short pieces of the 5/8 as adapters onto the barbs.

Bret

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hybrid vinyl PVC tubing is what you want. It's the same stuff used on the Python syphon systems. You can get it on Amazon in different sizes.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back