Tuffloud1's 262 Gallon In-Wall Reef Build Thread

dankaqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, the plumbing took forever!
Fantastic build! Super clean, well thought out and awesome selections all around.

Question for you... have you tried modeling your build projects in SketchUp?

I was always getting into trouble changing my build mid-construction... but once I started modeling it, I could make all those decisions ahead of time (and then just follow my own instructions!).

It's good with plumbing (although it's slow). It's particularly good for wood working projects, and fantastic for remodeling.

Now, my first step in building anything is to model it. SketchUp is a bit of a pain in the beginning, but it pays off in spades down the road.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic build! Super clean, well thought out and awesome selections all around.

Question for you... have you tried modeling your build projects in SketchUp?

I was always getting into trouble changing my build mid-construction... but once I started modeling it, I could make all those decisions ahead of time (and then just follow my own instructions!).

It's good with plumbing (although it's slow). It's particularly good for wood working projects, and fantastic for remodeling.

Now, my first step in building anything is to model it. SketchUp is a bit of a pain in the beginning, but it pays off in spades down the road.

Thanks!

Honestly, most of what I did came directly out of my head and I winged it as I went. I definitely had exactly what I wanted to do and I could see it in my mind. I have a lot of experience with remodeling (DIY) so this definitely came naturally for me.

The challenges came from not having everything on paper in regards to plumbing. I knew what I wanted to do, but when it came time to do it, there was tons of sitting there pondering and scratching my head, lol.

There were a handful of things I had to account for. The tank, I obviously had to draw out and make sure I was ordering the correct dimensions to maximize the space I could use. I had to make sure I had enough clearance for the MP60s outside the tank between the glass and the wall. I had to make sure I had enough room for the returns between the wall and the back of the tank.

The Synergy sump and Modular Marine overflow are some of the best decisions I made, super happy with both.

Yes, I would love to learn a program like SketchUp!

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got my mixing station almost finished with the help of @dbl.

I still need to install a hose adapter to the valve in the middle.

I used some of his ideas, although I had a tiny amount of space to work with so I did the best I could. It is located in a laundry closet directly across from the back of the tank in the hallway.

I built the same matching barn doors for the laundry/mixing station as the tank opening.

66319825-7EDE-4426-B331-BAE2BDF4C9B7.jpeg

dankaqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick concern: do you have access to replace that dryer vent?

dankaqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went thru the "dryer vent" thing a couple years back... the take away was to use the "semi rigid" one and "clean it out yearly". Scary what they say about dryer vent fires...

I think this is the one I used:

4 in. x 8 ft. Semi-Rigid Flexible Aluminum Dryer Vent Duct

There's a ton of SketchUp vids on YouTube. It's one of those things you just have to keep hammering away at. But it is such a fantastic tool. It doesn't get much better than "pre-building" a project on your pc...

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I only have:

Tomini Tang
2 Ocellaris Clowns
Flame Angel
Spotted Mandarin
Fire Shrimp

I’ve had all these guys for over 5 years. Not enough fish for the 262!

I plan on placing an order for:

Powder Blue Tang
Lieutenant Tang
Convict Tang
Purple Tang
One Spot Foxface

All small except for the Foxface

Powder Blue will go in the DT last.

I will be using the old 90 for quarantine.

After this batch, I plan on ordering a few additional smaller fish - Wrasse, Gramma, Blenny.

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I only have:

Tomini Tang
2 Ocellaris Clowns
Flame Angel
Spotted Mandarin
Fire Shrimp

I’ve had all these guys for over 5 years. Not enough fish for the 262!

I plan on placing an order for:

Powder Blue Tang
Lieutenant Tang
Convict Tang
Purple Tang
One Spot Foxface

All small except for the Foxface

Powder Blue will go in the DT last.

I will be using the old 90 for quarantine.

After this batch, I plan on ordering a few additional smaller fish - Wrasse, Gramma, Blenny.

I love my PBT even though he beat my Purple up. He is also the ultimate photobomber.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my PBT even though he beat my Purple up. He is also the ultimate photobomber.

Do you still have the purple?

My Tomini is 5 years old, full grown but I’m not too worried about introducing new tangs with him.

I’m mostly worried about the PBT and how to go about introducing him.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still have the purple?

My Tomini is 5 years old, full grown but I’m not too worried about introducing new tangs with him.

I’m mostly worried about the PBT and how to go about introducing him.

Sadly no. She was a real beautiful fish I kept for 4 years. Would eat nori from my hand. Came home one night and she was a complete mess; my most painful euthanization ever. I posted a thread on the situation here:

My PBT was the last addition to the other tangs, but was boss right away. Maybe because I moved the prior boss (hippo) just before dropping him in.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! Oh! I am a big fan of frag tanks. FInally my 300G frag system is humming (as I run downstairs to make sure that is still true).

Wait. Are you going to tie this in to the display? You just love another challenge don't you? Not your first rodeo so have some fun. ( And prepare to dose nutrients just in case.)

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! Oh! I am a big fan of frag tanks. FInally my 300G frag system is humming (as I run downstairs to make sure that is still true).

Wait. Are you going to tie this in to the display? You just love another challenge don't you? Not your first rodeo so have some fun. ( And prepare to dose nutrients just in case.)

Yep, tying into the display.

You can see where I have the plumbing already stubbed and ready to go.

Same way I had my 6 year old reef plumbed to the new tank.

My frag tank is only 30 gallons not 300 like yours!!

So shouldn’t be a problem to just tie right in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking real good. Our fish preferences are very similar but you have more volume to play with. And I see lots of new frags in there. Are they all "special"?

Yeah, I’ve gone a little nuts with WWC over the last couple months.

I picked up a Red Robin, Orange Passion, Walt Disney, Terra Red, Juicy Fruit, Thunder Cloud, Aussie Tri Color, Toxic Slimer, Strawberry Shortcake, Green Mile, Dragon Slayer, Garf Bonsai, Laura’s Purple Polyp, Paletta Tri Color, Purple Berry and ORA Pearlberry

Current fish are powder blue tang, convict tang, lieutenant tang, purple tang, Tomini tang, yellow coris wrasse, flame Angel, foxface, 2 Royal grammas, spotted mandarin and 2 clowns.

I might have missed some! Lol

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice livestock lists. Bit of a tang fan myself. Think you forgot the foxface and trigger?

I just got 7 frags in this morning from Piece of the Ocean, BackDraft my favorite of those. A have a few WD, OP, and rainbow milli and Event Horizon rounding out my favorites.

Have fun on the new "bolt-on" frag tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back