OP
H

Hugo Tait

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas on how to remove tin other than a couple water changes?

I really wouldn't worry about those levels, assuming that's µg/l- it could even be a false reading. I was at 100µg/l and snails and other inverts were fine short term. I found Cuprisorb helped a bit, but large percentage water changes are best.

The corals I have moved to a different system seem to be improving daily, I'll update with pics soon.

East1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find a resolution for this?

in my experience, it tends to be related to an imbalance of cal/alk, and also can be related to Boron deficencies though your ICP rules that uot.

here is a good thread:

OP
OP
H

Hugo Tait

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find a resolution for this?

in my experience, it tends to be related to an imbalance of cal/alk, and also can be related to Boron deficencies though your ICP rules that uot.

here is a good thread:

Thanks for this, the link doesn’t work for me but I have read numerous threads from a number of boards. I know many pointed to a dosing imbalance (I try and dose very equal amounts of the big 3) but I also see a few reporting this problem using calcium reactors, which would normally result in equal mineral addition.

OP
OP
H

Hugo Tait

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are some (low quality!) night-time pics after moving two corals to a different system, for about 4 weeks. The polyp structure is definitely improved and the blistering is almost non existent

6870F82E-0666-49A4-836D-2EFF44BAB4D4.jpeg
BE713AE2-6160-4F03-9470-77D2B5D41507.jpeg

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gone through bouts of this, though at this point it's mostly cleared up after ceasing carbon dosing months ago, brining nitrates and phosphates down, continuing my weekly water changes etc... I suspect it's bacterial as well, as I don't dose except for a calcium reactor and set amount of kalkwasser. I've recently gone through a months long cyano bloom which I finally killed off with chemiclean. Replacing the uv bulb and regular carbon changes have helped clean up the water. I've been cleaning up detritus from the small sand pits for the wrasse weekly for the past few months and nutrients seemed to have stabilized at their right lower levels, so I suspect any remaining extra carbon sources have been used up. Some varieties seem to take it harder than others, namely BC sky doppel, two Efflos and the sarmentosa, similar Granulosa and my single nasuta (sp?). The tenuis, torts, various smooth skins and for lack of better understanding "shortcake" like varieties never seemed to be affected. To me, the big corallite varieties seemed to be the most affected. I'm curious if others have noticed any similarities? It seems like if there is a flat surface for something to land on it affects them more than the more jagged ones.

TylerR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also seeing this on some of my corals (acropora). The coralites are very bumpy and a few get these blisters where the skin balloons out and detached from the skeleton. The blisters will go back down after a day or so. But the coralite structure isn’t returning to normal.

I’ve never done an ICP test but I do weekly 12% water changes with Tropic Marin Pro. Ca, Alk, Mg, N, P are always pretty dead on with N~3-5ppm and P~0.02-0.05 ppm. I have always theorized a bacterial infection and after watching several corals stall today I’m trying to dose antibiotic (Bactrim, I already have some on hand). I’m not sure if it will work or not but I have to try.

East1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also seeing this on some of my corals (acropora). The coralites are very bumpy and a few get these blisters where the skin balloons out and detached from the skeleton. The blisters will go back down after a day or so. But the coralite structure isn’t returning to normal.

I’ve never done an ICP test but I do weekly 12% water changes with Tropic Marin Pro. Ca, Alk, Mg, N, P are always pretty dead on with N~3-5ppm and P~0.02-0.05 ppm. I have always theorized a bacterial infection and after watching several corals stall today I’m trying to dose antibiotic (Bactrim, I already have some on hand). I’m not sure if it will work or not but I have to try.
When I see this, I’ve noted my strontium and boron levels are undetectable, adding both seemed to have reversed the problem over time - may be worth an icp

TylerR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I see this, I’ve noted my strontium and boron levels are undetectable, adding both seemed to have reversed the problem over time - may be worth an icp
How would I correct inadequate levels of these elements?

East1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would I correct inadequate levels of these elements?
You can dose strontium directly, same with Boron - if you have a lot of acropora I'd recommend B-balance by KZ and reef Strontium by seachem

speedinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm experiencing the same problems with my SPS. Polyps are tullipings and some acros are blistering. I have been carbon dosing. All my nutirents and parameters are in check. Have anyone had success in rectifying this?

OP
OP
H

Hugo Tait

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my first thoughts as well, look at minerals associated with skeletogenesis, however, 3 consecutive ICP (ATI) showed optimal levels of Strontium and Boron. However, there’s always the chance there’s more than one factor causing this condition

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been fine after I stopped carbon dosing. It's been quite a while and no signs of returning. No real damage to the corals that had it bad.

TylerR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my first thoughts as well, look at minerals associated with skeletogenesis, however, 3 consecutive ICP (ATI) showed optimal levels of Strontium and Boron. However, there’s always the chance there’s more than one factor causing this condition
My ICP showed perfect levels of B and Sr too.

Earlier in the thread I mentioned trying Bactria antibiotic. I should update, I tried but I did not see any better changes in the coral after dosing Bactrim 3 days apart.

The issue continued to spread to other corals for me. I stopped seeing any skeletal growth. I considered it may be viral? I also had Acropora Red Bugs. My frags were new and I ended up removing and trashing all my corals since I figure it would be easier to pull the corals and let the red bugs and virus (?) die and start fresh. I’ve been running my tank with only fish, live rock and a clam for all most 6 months now. I have a batch of sps frags in quarantine now and will stay in quarantine for at least two months. Then I’ll transfer them over and see if they start blistering.

TylerR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been fine after I stopped carbon dosing. It's been quite a while and no signs of returning. No real damage to the corals that had it bad.
What did you use for your carbon source? I use NOPOX and wondered if there was something other than vinegar in there.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used vinegar and vodka. Store brand. Eventually I used whatever I had, messing up the ratios, not sire if that had anything to do with it. But since you were using nopox, I think not

speedinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I started looking at the photos of my corals I took and also traced back the date when I started adding bacteria and carbon dosing. It just happens so after a few weeks is when this started happening. The polyps look like tulips and as soon as I started more aggressive at dosing carbon source it gets worst. I just stopped today and is now running GFO. Let's see what happens.

TylerR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on my experience with this.

A recap: I had good growth that stopped and was seeing the tulip polyp in a few corals. It spread to other corals. ICP showed all green parameters. I didn’t carbon dose regularly. (Once or twice to get params down). I tried dosing bactrum in the tank but saw no change.

The update: I removed all my corals and went FOWLR for maybe 4 months. I put a new batch of frags in and after a month the Oregon Tort started tulipping. I feel like there’s no winning. The only solution is to drain the tank. Sterilize everything including the rock then starting over.

I feel so defeated.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... That sounds drastic. I don't think that's everyone's experience. I would say more than anything, carbon, lots of muck cleanup (we all have spots) and heavy water changes and quit with any "fixes" was my route. From my experience and watching some other videos, I've come to the conclusion that less is more. As long as alkalinity is stable, good house cleaning is done, that's all that's needed. I've been so busy with kids during covid that my maintenance is weekly water changes, weekly (or every other week) carbon changes and gfo. Sometimes I clean pumps, the more flow the better. High pH is nice when the weather permits with open windows, but no funny business. And my corals are happier than they've ever been.

TylerR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... That sounds drastic. I don't think that's everyone's experience. I would say more than anything, carbon, lots of muck cleanup (we all have spots) and heavy water changes and quit with any "fixes" was my route. From my experience and watching some other videos, I've come to the conclusion that less is more. As long as alkalinity is stable, good house cleaning is done, that's all that's needed. I've been so busy with kids during covid that my maintenance is weekly water changes, weekly (or every other week) carbon changes and gfo. Sometimes I clean pumps, the more flow the better. High pH is nice when the weather permits with open windows, but no funny business. And my corals are happier than they've ever been.
But what happens when I do all those things already and the problem never goes away? I’m going almost 2 years with keeping things stable, running carbon, weekly 10% water changes, good water chemistry. Parameters are in check. So what happens when I do everything correctly and still fail? How do you win a battle against an unknown enemy?

To me it seems like whatever is causing this is in the tank. Some say bacterial but others are seeing it even with a UV sterilizer so if it’s bacterial it isn’t prolific in the water column. It still seems the best option from here is to start over.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 49 53.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.9%
Back