Tullio Dell Aquila & Dr. Sanjay's views ( a thread for METAL HALIDE lovers)

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been very busy lately with basically no time to post, but just had to open this thread.
Title says it all... yes, this thread is to talk about metal halides!

The maker of a video called "Are Metal Halides Making a Comeback? "New" Review of an "Old" Product" (linked bellow), Mr. Keith Berkelhamer, had the pleasure to interview the guys that many of us would call the "the gurus of reef lighting", Dr. Sanjay Joshi and Tullio Dell Aquila.

Dr. Sanjay is a very nice man and very smart when comes to express what and how he thinks. All the things he did for the hobby in regards to reef lighting still have so much value today and to the history of our hobby. It is with tremendous respect and appreciation that I post here for us to enjoy his words on the subject and hope many of us come to listen what those words really mean.
We all tend to judge by what we see and we all have different views and goals. I get that! My vision is very similar to Dr. Sanjay's in many aspects.

Mr. Tullio Dell Aquila has a tremendous bond to our history as well, specially in the introduction and production of LEDs for the aquarium industry! He is also a very respected man and have been contributing big time for this hobby.

Many things I've been saying about lighting here in this forum through all these years, since back in 2012ish, are confirmed in these 2 videos. We know many of us have seen more and more reefers using metal halides lately. The sales have been improved and the numbers don't lie! That improvement simply mean "more sales". On the another hand, some online stores are sadly trying to get rid of their halide related products and somehow promoting more their LEDs' sales. Normal, in a way. My opinion is that we should promote halides to make available for those who actually appreciate their qualities, but the ultimate call goes to sales and profit, of course. LEDs are more profitable in the long run with their updates and hypes. What we need to understand is that keeping metal halide products available could also result in investments on new metal halide technologies, as for example what ReefBrite has been doing. So here is a call to those stores to rethink their plans, please. To keep their stocks available for those who enjoy metal halides, therefore keeping that part of the hobby alive.
I have to thank Hamilton for their sensibility and publish my appreciation to their way to do business with a superb customer service for so many years. They are an example of what I'm talking about. Also I give some boost to Tullio (ReefBrite) to keep up with their full line available. Thank you both!

Here is the older video of ReefBum about halides coming back:

Some important comparisons (facts) between halides and LEDs in Tullio's video!
Are photons photons? Pay attention to all what he has to say! Watts vs optical power and much more...
Here is the video with Tullio Del Aquailla:

Let's watch the video carefully and understand what Dr. Sanjay say what he thinks would be the best lights for his 500 gallon tank!
Watch how his tank is doing under LEDs. Listen the whole video. Very interesting!
Here is the video with Dr. Sanjay Joshi:

I hope many here would open their minds and listen to what the reality of reef lighting comes to.

We will try to keep the thread well and alive with the love and respect that we are supposed to have for each other! Thanks!!

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More videos with Tullio...
First a very informative video with our friend Carlos, from Coral Vue. Watts, PAR, PUR, types of efficiency, spectrum ("true K"), the true importance in qualities of "blues" and "whites", and why LEDs aren't the same as halides and T5s in it's essence of physics (tips on measuring PAR when using LEDs), the amazing deliverance from halides and T5s comparing to most LEDs, correct light application, true UV, and more... :

And I just had to add this classic video:

Last edited:

Dirk Griffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The past couple of years there has been a resurgence of metal halide sales coming back.
Also more than a few are still buying/using 3', 4' and 6' vho's. Some of us still have the blue 454's available, as well as halide equipment

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have said this a bunch, but of the 20-25 guys that I trade and share acropora with, only one of them uses LEDs (there was two, but one got a Giesemann again) and about most of the rest use MH, two with VHO T5s (you know who you are, Ed) and a few with 8-10 bulb HO T5s units. Metal Halide never went away.. the people who used them went away from the boards since they need nothing and got tired. These folks also do not keep cubes and nanos and know that MH is a great option for larger tanks.

The one guy who uses LED runs them on all channels near 100%, so very much like a Halide or T5 in terms of wattage, coverage and spectrum.

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting these videos! I always love to hear what these guys have to say. I haven’t had a chance to finish all of them, but I certainly haven’t gotten any message so far that halides are better than LEDs. They are just different light sources that must be applied differently. I have a 180 sps tank using viparspectra leds and 2 T5 bulbs. I grow and color corals just as well on 510w total now as I did with 1245w total of Radiums, VHO, and leds back then. It’s all about the application.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting these videos! I always love to hear what these guys have to say. I haven’t had a chance to finish all of them, but I certainly haven’t gotten any message so far that halides are better than LEDs. They are just different light sources that must be applied differently. I have a 180 sps tank using viparspectra leds and 2 T5 bulbs. I grow and color corals just as well on 510w total now as I did with 1245w total of Radiums, VHO, and leds back then. It’s all about the application.
I opened this thread for the halide lovers. Most of the people that experienced halides and LEDs know the differences and what they are looking for.
If you like the results from your LEDs good for you, please don't change! Enjoy your lights. The messages are there only for those who want to find them.
You are welcome.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great videos!
It is quite funny to listen to all the lfs experts, lol, that bash halides whenever they are talked about.
The cost, energy consumption, heat, they are going away, and on and on.
I dont even get involved in the conversation any more.
I just show pics of my tanks!
Run what ya want but im sticking with my Halides.
Just switched my T5 frag system over to them.
I just hope I can afford the energy bill, lol.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great videos!
It is quite funny to listen to all the lfs experts, lol, that bash halides whenever they are talked about.
The cost, energy consumption, heat, they are going away, and on and on.
I dont even get involved in the conversation any more.
I just show pics of my tanks!
Run what ya want but im sticking with my Halides.
Just switched my T5 frag system over to them.
I just hope I can afford the energy bill, lol.
Most people that blindly defend LEDs over halides never tried them, nor saw any tank running them. Many times energy consumption is basically the same, specially when they need heaters while using their LEDs. In warm weather the use of chiller is many times inevitable, so switching to halides is basically the same as using T5s or LEDs. The use of fans will take care of most situations! Anyways, there are many threads discussing those "energy issues" and we don't need to bring them here to take away the focus which is the qualities of halides... There is absolutely no question about the advantages of halides growing corals when the right system is applied! Please post your pictures here too, if you wish! Thanks for the input!

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 120 with 2 250 watt 14k phoenix and my frag with a 150 watt 17.5k giesemann.
Have 14k's ordered for the 150.
The 18.5k is whiter than the 14k's.
All on m80 ballasts.
The growth has been incredible since adding them 3 months ago to the 120.
Frag just got added.
All were on T5 systems prior.
20201121_191625.jpg
20201206_122849.jpg

Last edited:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 120 with 2 250 watt 14k phoenix and my frag with a 150 watt 18.5k giesemann.
Have 14k's ordered for the 150.
The 18.5k is whiter than the 14k's.
All on m80 ballasts.
The growth has been incredible since adding them 3 months ago to the 120.
Frag just got added.
All were on T5 systems prior.
20201121_191625.jpg
20201206_122849.jpg

I strongly prefer the color of the giesemann. I’d love to have tried the giesemann megachrome marine 12000k or the Hamilton 10000k.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I ever get around to setting up a grow out system I’ll definitely be giving them a go
I see all systems as "grow out systems". The ocean is a "grow out system" as well. But I know what you meant by that.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I mean by that is a shallow wide tank at waist level, comprised of a cryptic sump with a ton of rock, racks only in the main tank, and the lights suspended 24” high. Something I wouldn’t ever have in a living room basically

Chuckc mi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are peoples thoughts on a 250 watt mh on a sps 40 gal is it enough or a 400 . I was given two fixtures that were used in a horticultural setting.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 250 would be fine, imo.
My 150 is on a 36x24x12 frag tank.
18" off the water. Not sure of par but the few frags I have are doing well. Growth, color, polyp extension are better than the 6 T5's I was running. Plus I like the look better.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are peoples thoughts on a 250 watt mh on a sps 40 gal is it enough or a 400 . I was given two fixtures that were used in a horticultural setting.
Some horticultural fixtures have very good spread. Those with glass protection works best over aquariums. Sure a 250W will work great over a 40gal with the right spread! Good way to start enjoying the benefits of halides. Search the bulbs to find what pleases you and try to match the ballast you've got, assuming that you probably got the system (fixture and ballast). Most bulbs will work fine with selectable ballasts too. Enjoy your new lights!

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, let's say I don't have time to watch the videos. Can you summarize for me?
Let's watch the video carefully and understand what Dr. Sanjay say what he thinks would be the best lights for his 500 gallon tank!
Watch how his tank is doing under LEDs. Listen the whole video. Very interesting!
Here is the video with Dr. Sanjay Joshi:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back