Tuning Reefer Drain

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished filling my Reefer 350 and have the return pump on. I have a question about proper operation of of the drain. I think it is a Herbie drain. FWIW, I replaced the stock diaphragm valve with a gate valve.

Is the idea that you want just the barest trickle going over the emergency drain? I can't see that it is practical to adjust my drain to drain the exact the volume of water being put back into the display by the return pump.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished filling my Reefer 350 and have the return pump on. I have a question about proper operation of of the drain. I think it is a Herbie drain. FWIW, I replaced the stock diaphragm valve with a gate valve.

Is the idea that you want just the barest trickle going over the emergency drain? I can't see that it is practical to adjust my drain to drain the exact the volume of water being put back into the display by the return pump.
Yes a trickle is ok
Herbie-1.jpg

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not running the reefer, but have dual herbies in my tank. You want the water just at the rim of the emergency, some people say a trickle others say just below.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The emergency drain is usually an inch or two above the primary. You want the water level high enough above the primary so that a siphon forms, without creating a vortex and sucking air: a vortex is noisy and not a full siphon (less flow). The trickle into the emergency is the highest water level with lowest noise. The emergency drain won't usually form a siphon so it will be quite noisy if much water goes into it. You can confirm this with your own experimentation.

Return pump throughput changes over time so you may have to adjust the drain once in a while.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back