Tunze 1073.05 Rattling/Clicking Noise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a Tunze 1073.05 return on my JBJ 45 last weekend and am having some issues. The pump is making a rattling/clicking type noise. I took it apart twice to see if the bushings weren’t secure or the impeller damaged but I’m not seeing anything. Any suggestions? Brand new pump.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume the bottom and top bushing you verified is fully pressed into there seats in the pump/ impeller cover? Is there any restriction of the flow, for example reduction to 1/2"? Is it possible the pump is vibrating against something, is it quiet for example just in a bucket? Is the locking ring on the impeller cover secure?

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both bushings are pressed in so no problems there. There is no restriction on the flow and it is not vibrating against anything in the tank. I tried running it in a bucket as well and it makes the same noise unfortunately. Everything feels secure to me.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unfortunately limited in what I can do to help as we have so little on hand and no 1073.050 are here or coming in for several weeks and I have an impeller I could send to try, if the impeller was unbalanced, that may solve it. I can see two possibilities, the motor is wrong so the impeller is grinding in the front cover, basically the coil is too far forward, or the impeller has some blemish, either the shaft is too long and pushing it forward/rubbing, or it is out of balance. I will of course take care of you when I can, but due to the lockdowns and limited flights we have very minimal stock right now and I don't have any fast options.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understandable with what is going on in the world. The rattling/click is still there. I’m also hearing what I think is a louder humming noise coming from the pump. I can hear it two rooms over and over a dehumidifier. I’m not sure if that could be related, a different issue, or the pump needing to run for a few weeks.

What are your thought?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running solves noises from air in the pump, which can be an issue for a few days especially with bends or restrictions in the plumbing , but that is usually a popping/rattling noise, clicking, grinding, etc, usually is impeller or a misaligned motor coil.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is sealed in the pump so the pump has to be replaced, if you don't mind, I am happy to send the impeller to try and in a few weeks, I should have a pump to replace it with if that did not work.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, please, PM me your name and address.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back