Tunze 5017 ato turns on after feed cycle even if water level isn’t low, causing a drop in salinity

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Tunze 5017 for my 40g after using a nano tunze for years that finally wore out. I love the additional features, like the glass sensor and high level float valve, but I’m having a problem I can’t figure out. Since my tank is on the smaller side, I adjusted the internal switch to “nano”, as initially it was dumping too much rodi into the tank. My problem is when I use “feed” mode on my apex when the feed mode is done. I have the skimmer and ato programmed to come on a few minutes after the return pump comes on so the water level in the sump can lower to normal levels. When the ato comes back on, the “low” light and beep always sounds, even if the glass sensor is totally covered with water. This has resulted in a gradual lowering of my salinity. Today I held a measuring cup under the ato tube after a feed cycle and it ran a full cup of water into the measuring cup before shutting off. Since none of that water actually went into the tank, my guess is that the ato is somehow programmed to run for a certain amount of time upon startup, regardless of what the sensor says. I use the feed mode daily, so this is a real problem. Has anyone else had a problem like this with the 5017? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine runs for about 20 seconds whenever power is applied. I power mine off in feed mode or whenever I have the return off. The apex delays it for two minutes before coming back on so the sump is back to a normal leveI. I don't see how it would lower salinity long term unless the tank is evaporating less than a cup a day. But even then, eventually the high float would be tripped and then turn off the unit.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tunze ATO runs a self test of about 15 seconds every time it loses power. When I asked the rep about it he suggested adding a small flow valve to the end of the output hose to further regulate the amount of water coming out so that it would dump less into my tank over those 15 seconds or so.

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same situation. Was thinking to lower the pressure of the pump.

Maybe this way it will pump less water but it will run longer in order to fill evaporation.

Don't know which is better and less harmful long term on the pump.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same situation. Was thinking to lower the pressure of the pump.

Maybe this way it will pump less water but it will run longer in order to fill evaporation.

Don't know which is better and less harmful long term on the pump.
I lowered the pump to the lowest setting, which is nano. It pumps less water, but still more than I need.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine runs for about 20 seconds whenever power is applied. I power mine off in feed mode or whenever I have the return off. The apex delays it for two minutes before coming back on so the sump is back to a normal leveI. I don't see how it would lower salinity long term unless the tank is evaporating less than a cup a day. But even then, eventually the high float would be tripped and then turn off the unit.
I have a 20g sump and a 40g tank. The 15 seconds of water upon restarting raises the water level above normal.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a feature built in, and can not be turned off. You can adjust the knob to nano(depending on tank size), or split the 2 sensors off the the magnet(put the high sensor up higher).

It's actually a nice feature if you think about it. What other ATO primes the pump before it runs on startup? Besides I think it's only a cup(8oz) of water on max.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tunze ATO runs a self test of about 15 seconds every time it loses power. When I asked the rep about it he suggested adding a small flow valve to the end of the output hose to further regulate the amount of water coming out so that it would dump less into my tank over those 15 seconds or so.
Thanks. That’s a terrible feature imo, especially for a smaller setup like mine. The nano version didn’t do that.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a feature built in, and can not be turned off. You can adjust the knob to nano(depending on tank size), or split the 2 sensors off the the magnet(put the high sensor up higher).

It's actually a nice feature if you think about it. What other ATO primes the pump before it runs on startup? Besides I think it's only a cup(8oz) of water on max.

I did turn it down to nano. It runs exactly a cup like you said. But in a small system like mine it adds up. I’m going to try to only power down once a day and do the auto water change and feed at the same time. On a happy note, I just got a DOS today so auto water changes are right around the corner. Thanks for your help!!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Split the high sensor off the magnet, and put it higher up in the sump. That will at least stop the annoying alarm. Then stop turning it off during feed mode.

I had the same issue, I kept turning it off during feed mode every day, as well as the return pump, The cup it adds was lowering my salinity too much(85G total water volume). So I did as above, and that has solved it

Andy69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it help if the ato does not power off during feed mode or main pump off?

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t unplug it or turn the power off to it. Or plug it to another strip. It’s normal for it to do that. It runs a self test for a few seconds regardless of sensor value.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have an Apex you can possibly program the ATO to come back on half an hour or an hour later when you might actually need the extra water. I'm guessing you turn it off because the high water alarm goes off when you shut off the return.

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you actually check to see your salinity dropped or just assumed?

I believe the effect would be a temporary decrease in salinity but very negligible. I was worried about this at first, however, after it runs for 15 seconds after cycling power, the water level will be higher. It will take more evaporation to get to the point that it triggers a refill by which, you will have your salinity match. Really, nothing should change unless you are adjusting the height of your sensor upward after each power cycle.

Cycling the power on my 45 this was on with this fill time never Had an impact on salinity since it would evaporate out and have the water level in the correct spot.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for a lot of great advice. I can definitely move the upper float switch if needed. The problem is that I do daily water changes during the feed cycle, so if I don’t turn it off completely, it turns on the minute the water level drops. But, I finally got a DOS today for auto water changes (I’ve been waiting for a few years!), and you don’t have to power down anything because the water comes in as quickly as it comes out. But as far as feeding, your suggestions have been so helpful. Thank you!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you have an Apex you can possibly program the ATO to come back on half an hour or an hour later when you might actually need the extra water. I'm guessing you turn it off because the high water alarm goes off when you shut off the return.
That is a great idea. I’ll wait until it’s about to topoff anyway and then the 15 second run won’t matter. Thanks!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 72.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back