Tunze 9410 DC DOC Skimmer Review

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the $'s you already have in your system, at the current price, you will still be happy. Imo the most underated skimmer on the market.
Not to say others are bad because their are many quailty skimmers out there.

The only thing I don’t like that I see - there is no nipple on the cup to connect a tube to divert skimmate to a larger reservoir. I am very used to having this convenience with my current skimmer.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I don’t like that I see - there is no nipple on the cup to connect a tube to divert skimmate to a larger reservoir. I am very used to having this connivence with my current skimmer.
Tunze has a foam extraction device for the skimmer 9020.140.
But the cup is so easy to clean I decided against it.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I see there is a 9430.000 and 9430.001

What is the difference? The 000 cost a little less than the 001.

Do these models have a foam extraction device available?
One is dc and one is standard.
Get the dc.
I have a 9410 non dc on my frag and it works just as well imo.
Dc is the one I would get.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One is dc and one is standard.
Get the dc.
I have a 9410 non dc on my frag and it works just as well imo.
Dc is the one I would get.

I have an adjustable baffle for water leveling my skimmer chamber.

Tunze said the AC will last longer but is a little harder to adjust.

Maybe my adjustable baffle will eliminate the need for DC?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an adjustable baffle for water leveling my skimmer chamber.

Tunze said the AC will last longer but is a little harder to adjust.

Maybe my adjustable baffle will eliminate the need for DC?
If you got the cash get the dc version.
Its more adjustable when it comes to the air. It uses the controller instead of a screw. Just my take as I have bothe.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how you like it.

I sure will. I was on the fence between the NYOS 220 and the Tunze but I figured, I know Tunze is reliable and functional. I don’t have any experience with NYOS products. They do look pretty, but functionality, longevity, customer service and replacement parts are something I know Tunze delivers.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super impressed with the Tunze 9430 DC.

It is incredibly stable and I already trust it to not overflow after 1 week of using.

This thing self levels itself once you choose your pump speed. Even if the water level rises in the sump, the skimmer keeps the same level.

The collection cup is incredibly easy to remove, just lift it off and along with it is the neck which you can clean at the same time. No need to pull the entire skimmer out or try to clean the neck under the tank.

Why are these Tunze skimmers not more popular and why is everyone not talking about them?

2D5807C9-9269-42CA-A681-1DDF32D3244C.jpeg
ED1D1D17-00C9-4464-AACA-417C6BCE72E4.jpeg

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been waiting to see your impression on this skimmer. I said the same thing when I made the decision to go with my Tunze skimmers. It's crazy. You search "best skimmers" and you get a dozen others ahead of Tunze. These things are quiet, compact (for the most part), simple and they just plain work. And work well. Enjoy your new toy. Not that you'll be playing with it often ;)

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been waiting to see your impression on this skimmer. I said the same thing when I made the decision to go with my Tunze skimmers. It's crazy. You search "best skimmers" and you get a dozen others ahead of Tunze. These things are quiet, compact (for the most part), simple and they just plain work. And work well. Enjoy your new toy. Not that you'll be playing with it often ;)

Thanks to you, @Ento-Reefer and @90's reefer.

You guys were what tipped the balance for me to get one.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super impressed with the Tunze 9430 DC.

It is incredibly stable and I already trust it to not overflow after 1 week of using.

This thing self levels itself once you choose your pump speed. Even if the water level rises in the sump, the skimmer keeps the same level.

The collection cup is incredibly easy to remove, just lift it off and along with it is the neck which you can clean at the same time. No need to pull the entire skimmer out or try to clean the neck under the tank.

Why are these Tunze skimmers not more popular and why is everyone not talking about them?

2D5807C9-9269-42CA-A681-1DDF32D3244C.jpeg
ED1D1D17-00C9-4464-AACA-417C6BCE72E4.jpeg
Congrats on your new skimmer! They are worth every penny.
They dont get the exposure that others get. They do skim and do it very well without any adjustment.
Anyone who runs one will not be dissapointed.

Nami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Tunze 9410 for a couple of years and really happy with it. It has a compact but solid build, relatively small footprint and fuss free.

Only thing that I haven't managed to get is the thick black sludge that I seen in photos, my skimmate is mostly brownish green tea. Perhaps its nothing to do with the skimmer itself, but different in every reef tanks.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Tunze 9410 for a couple of years and really happy with it. It has a compact but solid build, relatively small footprint and fuss free.

Only thing that I haven't managed to get is the thick black sludge that I seen in photos, my skimmate is mostly brownish green tea. Perhaps its nothing to do with the skimmer itself, but different in every reef tanks.

You are correct, every tank has different amounts of DOC.

This will determine what your skimmate looks like unless you are running it totally wet, which will always look like tea.

If you have tons of DOC then it will likely be darker. If you don’t, it will look more tea colored. This has always been my experience regardless of the skimmer.

Rest assured, the Tunze is pulling out any DOC that is available to pull out. I ran an Omega 180i on the same tank prior to the Tunze and the Tunze blew it away, even when brand new. No comparison and it is stable unlike any other skimmer I have ever used.

kjkaminski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a really QUIET skimmer. Some reviews for this Tunze 9410 say it is quiet and others say it can be noisy. Any feedback here? Tank (60gal reef with sump) is in living room near TV and sofa and I am looking for the quietest possible model.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a really QUIET skimmer. Some reviews for this Tunze 9410 say it is quiet and others say it can be noisy. Any feedback here? Tank (60gal reef with sump) is in living room near TV and sofa and I am looking for the quietest possible model.

I've owned both the AC and DC version of the 9410. The DC version is definitely the quieter of the 2, and it’s very quiet as far as skimmers go.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really the only noticeable noise is the water spilling into the sock. And that’s not very loud. You can make that noise go away by putting some filter padding inside to stop the spilling effect or remove the sock assembly all together.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back