Tunze 9410 DC DOC Skimmer Review

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is the first time in all my years of reef keeping that I have been compelled to write a review of a product. This skimmer has been the easiest to adjust of any that I have owned and I have had many popular brands, both high end and less expensive. The performance has been impressive this first week, so much so that I decided to post my thoughts.

This skimmer has a small foot print ( (9.8 x 7.0 x 16.3 in.). In fact when I first took it out of the box, I thought maybe I should have gone with the next size up. I am used to seeing much larger skimmers for tanks my size, 180g. The skimmer is rated for up to a 317g salt water aquarium. The rating is the only area I think could use a little improvement. I had to do a little more research to learn that for a mixed reef it should be about 40% less. Reef Builders did a great review where they stated they would have no problem putting it on a 150g reef. I have a decent sized fuge and a medium bio-load in my tank so I think this skimmer is going to work out fine. It is definitely not oversized for my system.

The first few days I had it running in about 7.5" of water and it was skimming fine. I have since put it on a stand so that it sits in about 6 1/4" and this has allowed me to open the air up about 1/2 way. This skimmer is set and forget. It has been skimming away since the first day. No break in required. I may end up purchasing the drain attachment because if I run the skimmer wet I would be emptying the cup every 2 days. I have it adjusted to skim dryer for now and I am at about 3 days to needing to empty. These photos are from this morning.

IMG-1782.JPG

IMG-1783.JPG

IMG-1786.JPG

One of the nice features of this skimmer is the pump control and the button that pauses the pump so you can empty the cup. It is very easy to just take skimmer cup right off. It just slides up, so easy.

IMG-1784.JPG

I am not the best with words, but I can definitely recommend this skimmer. The ease of use and quality for the price make it a great deal. I paid $399 and I am very happy I decided to give the Tunze 9410 a try. Check out the Reef Builders review for a more detailed look at this great skimmer.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good review :) I love reading positive experiences with products :)

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Endoreef ! I just won this model skimmer off of the R2R raffle ! Thanks to all involved . This is the most technical skimmer Iv'e owned & look forward to installing on my 75 gl reef.

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Endoreef ! I just won this model skimmer off of the R2R raffle ! Thanks to all involved . This is the most technical skimmer Iv'e owned & look forward to installing on my 75 gl reef.

You are very welcome. This skimmer should be perfect for your 75g. Ultimately it was a tad small for my 180g so I bought the next size up which is exactly the same, just larger. I love my Tunze.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ento-Reefer , Thanks ,I hope it works well. I have one question for You Mam,Does this cylinder go at the top near the collection cup or down near the pump? Thanks !

HPIM9354.JPG

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like you have it near the top. You are gonna love this skimmer!

oldpaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious how the skimmer is working out for you guys.
I'm thinking about one for my system, though it sounds like it'll be a little small for my 220gal + approx 30 in the sump.

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious how the skimmer is working out for you guys.
I'm thinking about one for my system, though it sounds like it'll be a little small for my 220gal + approx 30 in the sump.

It is an awesome skimmer, but it would be too small for your 220. I upgraded to the 9430 which is the same skimmer just larger. It works great on my 180 and would be the size I would purchase for your 220. These skimmers are so easy to set up. I highly recommend them.

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an awesome skimmer, but it would be too small for your 220. I upgraded to the 9430 which is the same skimmer just larger. It works great on my 180 and would be the size I would purchase for your 220. These skimmers are so easy to set up. I highly recommend them.
Would the 9410 dc work ok for a 125 with heavy bioload?

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to say no. With a light bio load you could get by. The cup is pretty small, so you'd be emptying it every day. And there is no nipple on the cup for it to drain into a bucket or container. I have both the 9410DC and the 9430DC. The 9410 is perfect for a 75 gallon with a good bio load. I would feel ok with the 9410 on a 90 gallon max. 125 would really be pushing it.

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to say no. With a light bio load you could get by. The cup is pretty small, so you'd be emptying it every day. And there is no nipple on the cup for it to drain into a bucket or container. I have both the 9410DC and the 9430DC. The 9410 is perfect for a 75 gallon with a good bio load. I would feel ok with the 9410 on a 90 gallon max. 125 would really be pushing it.
Ok. Makes sense. Thanks for your reply!

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would have to agree with @ReefHog . I think there is a 9415 model that might just be perfect for your tank. You pay a little more but these skimmers truly are set and forget. My 9430 about 3 hours after cleaning it today.

IMG-0343.jpg

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to agree with @ReefHog . I think there is a 9415 model that might just be perfect for your tank. You pay a little more but these skimmers truly are set and forget. My 9430 about 3 hours after cleaning it today.

IMG-0343.jpg
Wow! That's awesome! I have a Skimz monster DC and its been 3 days since I clean it, with NO skimmmate!

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv'e used RO, ASM, CPR and a few other skimmers over the last 20 years. Once I got my first Tunze I never looked back. My 9430DC is on my 220, my 9001on a 24 nano and 9410DC will be going on a future 75. Truly remarkable skimmers. I have no idea why they're not more popular. FYI, Marine Depot has the 9430DC on sale for $536.27. Cheaper than the 9415. And only $136 more than the 9410DC. This skimmer has been on sale for many months, so who knows when it will end. Over $700 everywhere else.

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the 9430 DC would be a good fit for a 262. I use it on my 180 + 50 gallon sump and it skims great. I took a series of photos for anybody on the fence about purchasing a tunze skimmer. The photos show the tank with my tang gang, water depth in my sump, water depth I have the skimmer at, water level I set within the neck of the skimmer. I empty the skimmer cup once a week and clean the neck at the same time. This Tunze is set and forget in my experience.

IMG-1122.JPG

IMG-0628.jpg

IMG-0627.jpg

IMG-0629.jpg

IMG-0637.jpg

IMG-0645.jpg

IMG-0648.jpg

Last edited:

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and awesome looking tangs @Ento-Reefer!

Thanks for all the info!

I am amazed at how much smaller these Tunze skimmers are compared to others in the same gph rating.

I have ran a Tunze 3155 for the last 6 years without any issues. I have only cleaned the sensor once in the 6 years I’ve had it. I trust it 100 percent.

If these skimmers are built anything like that, I will be purchasing.

How is the noise level? I’m used to the Vertex Omega 180i and it is silent and works great but a little underrated for my new system.

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is very quiet compared to other skimmers I have owned. My tank is in my study so basically in its own room. I didn't really choose equipment based on the noise level, but all I hear from my tank is the water in my overflow. I have to open the stand door and be right in front of the skimmer to hear anything.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is very quiet compared to other skimmers I have owned. My tank is in my study so basically in its own room. I didn't really choose equipment based on the noise level, but all I hear from my tank is the water in my overflow. I have to open the stand door and be right in front of the skimmer to hear anything.

Why is there a filter sock attached to the skimmer? Why does it need one?

OP
OP
Ento-Reefer

Ento-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is there a filter sock attached to the skimmer? Why does it need one?

The skimmer comes with the sock attachment. It is optional and the skimmer works fine without it. I like using the sock and I keep a bag of carbon in it. I have probably 30-40 socks so I can go quite awhile in between washing them. It only takes 2 minutes to swap the sock out and once a month throw them all in the washer with a cup or two of bleach and an extra rinse cycle,

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back