Tunze 9410 DC DOC Skimmer Review

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If these skimmers are built anything like that, I will be purchasing.
I ran my 9410 on a 90 for like three years and it is now on a 75 for about six months and still running like new. I've had my 9430 on my 220 for about a year now with zero issues.
Why is there a filter sock attached to the skimmer? Why does it need one?
As stated above, just a place for carbon, Phos Guard, Chemi-pure etc. The skimmer is also quieter with no sock.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 9410 dc on my 120. This thing just skims.
You dont even have to turn it off to clean the cup.
Feed, blow off rocks, work in the tank with no effect as it just keeps skimming.
I have not adjusted it in 8 months of use. Cleaned the whole unit at 6 months turned it on and it skims no adjustment needed.
About 2 days of skim nog at 6.5" of water.
20200222_055048.jpg

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen them under $700 right now. Last year Marine Depot had them for like $550 or something for many months . Tunze is not manufacturer set pricing so look for store coupons/discounts. Many on line vendors (marine depot for example) offer 10/15% off for first time buyers. If you have purchased from them before, you will need to visit their site from a different IP address to get the offer though and use a different e-mail to create an account.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 9410 dc on my 120. This thing just skims.
You dont even have to turn it off to clean the cup.
Feed, blow off rocks, work in the tank with no effect as it just keeps skimming.
I have not adjusted it in 8 months of use. Cleaned the whole unit at 6 months turned it on and it skims no adjustment needed.
About 2 days of skim nog at 6.5" of water.
20200222_055048.jpg

How bad is the odor in the room from that skim? That's my only complaint about the Deltec I have, it's in a smaller room and can get pretty stinky.

If you get a chance to take exact measurements of the footprint, it would be greatly appreciated :)

I’m trying to decide to purchase now or wait for a sale.

Anyone know if they run discounts on these sometime during the year?

I was looking at 9410 DCs last weekend, Marine Depot and Aquacave had them 10% off for President's Day. I assume they will go on sale again the next holiday.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bad is the odor in the room from that skim? That's my only complaint about the Deltec I have, it's in a smaller room and can get pretty stinky.

If you get a chance to take exact measurements of the footprint, it would be greatly appreciated :)

I was looking at 9410 DCs last weekend, Marine Depot and Aquacave had them 10% off for President's Day. I assume they will go on sale again the next holiday.
No smell and my stand is completely open. Footprint is as tunze says.
20200223_121526.jpg

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this thread got me thinking it’s been six months since I put my 9410 on line. So I just finished a thorough cleaning. This video was taken five minutes after I put it back in the sump. Never skipped a beat.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this thread got me thinking it’s been six months since I put my 9410 on line. So I just finished a thorough cleaning. This video was taken five minutes after I put it back in the sump. Never skipped a beat.

Thanks for sharing the video! Is the water noise the skimmer drain or the fleece filter?

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually the water gurgling into the roller filter. It's not as loud as it sounds on the video due to the echoing affect inside the cabinet. The humming is the return pump. Its an AC Ehiem return. Very reliable but has a humming sound. (running for over ten years now) The skimmer is actually very quiet. Hard to get an acurate video of just the skimmer in the sump because the water level rises dramatically with the return pump off.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the 9430DC with no other equipment. The only noise you hear is the water spilling into the filter sock ring and the air being sucked in. You can see how quiet it is with the sock holder off. I've since found that if you position the sock properly, the waterfall sound goes away. The 9410 is a quarter the size.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke with several retailers today and apparently these Tunze skimmers are on the “MAP list” which means they cannot lower prices without Tunze’s permission.

I really wish they would go on sale. That’s the only thing holding me back.

I guess if I have to wait, then I will.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke with several retailers today and apparently these Tunze skimmers are on the “MAP list” which means they cannot lower prices without Tunze’s permission.

Well that sucks. When I bought mine last year at MD it was over $200 less than all other retailers. And Tunze products seem like they're always on sale at one time or another.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They are worth every penny and it will be one piece of equipment you can set and forget as they say. I run the non dc on my 45 frag
Bought used on ebay for $150.
The dc version I purchased on sale for $300 and have never seen one lower.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen them under $700 right now. Last year Marine Depot had them for like $550 or something for many months . Tunze is not manufacturer set pricing so look for store coupons/discounts. Many on line vendors (marine depot for example) offer 10/15% off for first time buyers. If you have purchased from them before, you will need to visit their site from a different IP address to get the offer though and use a different e-mail to create an account.
Check ebay if your not in a hurry.
I just missed a used 9430 for around $300 used of course a month ago. They are seen on ebay from time to time but go fast.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are worth every penny and it will be one piece of equipment you can set and forget as they say. I run the non dc on my 45 frag
Bought used on ebay for $150.
The dc version I purchased on sale for $300 and have never seen one lower.

Which model did you get for $300?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which model did you get for $300?
9410 dc, but that was close to 2 years ago as I was aquiring equipment for my 120. Last time I saw them on sale at salwater aquatics they were about the same price as the non dc version. Around $350 I think.
At $400 it is still a good investment.
Just checked your build thread. Is this going on the 260? If it is you will need a 9430 imo.
My 120 is about max for the 9410dc imo.

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9410 dc, but that was close to 2 years ago as I was aquiring equipment for my 120. Last time I saw them on sale at salwater aquatics they were about the same price as the non dc version. Around $350 I think.
At $400 it is still a good investment.
Just checked your build thread. Is this going on the 260? If it is you will need a 9430 imo.
My 120 is about max for the 9410dc imo.

Yes, it’s the 9430 I want.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it’s the 9430 I want.
I have seen them on sale new for $200 off like was said above. But not very often.
I think it happens when they are trying to move old stock imo because you only see 1 or 2 and they go quick.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the $'s you already have in your system, at the current price, you will still be happy. Imo the most underated skimmer on the market.
Not to say others are bad because their are many quailty skimmers out there.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back