Tunze 9410 DC DOC Skimmer Review

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a really QUIET skimmer. Some reviews for this Tunze 9410 say it is quiet and others say it can be noisy. Any feedback here? Tank (60gal reef with sump) is in living room near TV and sofa and I am looking for the quietest possible model.

I don’t even use the filter sock assembly. The water cascades quietly around the pipe and it is really easy to adjust it back and forth until you get it quiet.

This skimmer design makes all other skimmers obsolete imo.

It truly is set and forget. COMPLETELY consistent. I have the DC version. Once you choose your power level, you are done, no tinkering.

Mine pulls out half a gallon of dark skimmate a week on a 300 gallon system.

I wish I would have known about these when I first started the hobby 7 years ago instead of messing around with the typical design skimmers all those years.

1389C4ED-840E-43C2-BB9D-3F9A6AF96E28.jpeg

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 9410 dc is quiet. The sump is 2' away from the couch and you cant hear it. I also have no doors on my stand yet.
I dont even turn off the pump to clean the cup.
I just did a complete cleanout on it.
Put it back in, turned it on and did not even worry about it as it just started skimming like it always does.
"Set and forget". Many say it but only "Tunze" does it.
If your on the fence for a new skimmer "get off of it" and try a Tunze.
Thanks you "TUNZE" for an awesome product.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BB8FDCD4-8DB1-4DBD-8300-B41BACE94BD9.jpeg

My 9410 is substantially quieter than the Sicce powered skimmer it replaced. I also don’t use the outlet assembly I just let water overflow out the tube. I also feeding mine with outside air via a tube to the window. Works great.

jh2pizza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So happy to see you like the skimmer. I really wonder why they aren't more popular. Awesome skimmers.
I have always wondered the same thing. I run a Tunze skimmer for the last 5 yrs or so I had a tank. The 9415 and 9430 have been bulletproof skimmers I have literally sat into my sump and never had to adjust.

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I stumbled on this a while back, I have a 200g with a 30g sump and bought the 9410 DC, I have a very low bio load in the tank right now so no issues but looks like I need the 9430 DC.... I do have a question my sump is only 12" wide the dimensions of the 9430 say 11.8" is that like an oval wherein you don't need 12" all the way around just at least 12" in the compartment or will it be too big? Looking at the skimmer cup width of 8.46" and the cup is the same width as the body I should have room, the skimmer compartment is 12" x 14". I have heaters mounted horizontally in that compartment so i probably have more like 10" x14"

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need 12” one way for sure. Because of the pump on the side. The other way has more options depending how you arrange the filter sock. You should be able to squeeze it in at 10”. For sure if you eliminate the filter sock all together which a lot of us do.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally credit where due! I’m a big fan of these. Currently running a 9430 on my 180 and it’s unreal. I could almost skip water changes. Have also owned (still do somewhere) 9004, 9010 gen1 9010 gen2 and 2 9012s. I can not recommend enough the 9012 For smaller tanks 50-75 gallon. Super compact and super efficient.

D12B53F6-EBF0-4353-823B-1CBA5A2FD17B.jpeg

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally credit where due! I’m a big fan of these. Currently running a 9430 on my 180 and it’s unreal. I could almost skip water changes. Have also owned (still do somewhere) 9004, 9010 gen1 9010 gen2 and 2 9012s. I can not recommend enough the 9012 For smaller tanks 50-75 gallon. Super compact and super efficient.

D12B53F6-EBF0-4353-823B-1CBA5A2FD17B.jpeg
I agree! I run a 9410 dc and do not do water changes. The 9410 helps and is a quite efficient skimmer. It has helped keep my po4 at .02-.04 and no3 at 1-2.

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need 12” one way for sure. Because of the pump on the side. The other way has more options depending how you arrange the filter sock. You should be able to squeeze it in at 10”. For sure if you eliminate the filter sock all together which a lot of us do.
Thank you for confirming that I will have enough room, I was planning on not using the sock. I have a reactor for carbon and other means of mechanical filtration, plus not having the sock just means the skimmer is less maintenance. The skimmer truly is a set and forget, just don't forget to dump the skim cup!

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer truly is a set and forget, just don't forget to dump the skim cup!
The ONLY negative about Tunze skimmers are that the skimmer cups don’t have a drain plug. I suppose you could use a unibit and make a drain but the cup is so easy to remove it’s really not that a big deal. Plus it forces you to keep an eye on your sump.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ONLY negative about Tunze skimmers are that the skimmer cups don’t have a drain plug. I suppose you could use a unibit and make a drain but the cup is so easy to remove it’s really not that a big deal. Plus it forces you to keep an eye on your sump.
They have a foam extraction device but I have never used it.
Your right the cup is so easy to clean I dont even turn off the pump.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get a drain fitting for most or drill one in, but the whole point is to clean the reaction chamber or whatever they call it frequently. Makes a big difference. All the above is why I have such an issue with every boutique skimmer, most companies of which only last a year or two. Dont quote my history but that’s why these guys have been around since the 70s. I laid out a ton of $$, took a huge leap when I was young and broke as dirt and I literally still have every one of those pumps and skimmers and they still work. The new fancy pants high dollar boys have a lot to learn from the makers of the brown ugly plastic making Germans. Fortunately they changed to black plastic but for sure, you get long lasting function. Not hip trendy compatible garbage.

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 9410 just arrived but I am missing the Turbelle Controller. Is this normal for this to be missing?

I have
contacted the company i bought it from.

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Should be in there. Does the box say 9410DC? The AC models do not have a controller.

Thanks for pointing this out.
I have checked and mine is not the DC.

Does anyone know the difference between the AC and DC?
Will the DC work in the UK?

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DC is somewhat quieter and easier to fine tune at different water levels. That being said, once it's set, it should not need any further adjustment. So once you get your water level dialed in, your good to go. The output pipe can be adjusted up and down somewhat but I found that it's easier to just raise or lower the skimmer to get the perfect water level. The DC also has a 10 minute pause button for cleaning or dosing which I like but is just a convience, not a necessity. As far as performance, I've used both and they seem to both work the same......perfect.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back