Tunze 9410 DC DOC Skimmer Review

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the 9410 do that once or twice in the last 8 months. For the life of me I can’t remember what I did that caused it. Maybe new filter floss/sock that wasn’t pre rinsed. Hmm. I just turn the pump speed down all the way and the next day I turn it back to where my sweet spot is.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the 9410 do that once or twice in the last 8 months. For the life of me I can’t remember what I did that caused it. Maybe new filter floss/sock that wasn’t pre rinsed. Hmm. I just turn the pump speed down all the way and the next day I turn it back to where my sweet spot is.

yeah i didn't want to turn down the air flow since i liked the wet skim, but i had to crank it way down to get it to stop for whatever reason. fall in the air i guess? lol

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The great thing about the DC controller is after turning it down, once whatever caused the overflowing dissipates, you just turn the knob back to the previous position and you should be back in business.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The great thing about the DC controller is after turning it down, once whatever caused the overflowing dissipates, you just turn the knob back to the previous position and you should be back in business.
does anyone else have the issue from time to time where it just overflows and continues overflowing? i've been sitting here for like 30 minutes just emptying the cup, turn back on, empty cup, turn back on, empty cup, etc.

it seems like messing with the water level at all really throws it off. when this thing is humming it's great, but this is pretty annoying. i've left it on during water changes a couple times and that definitely makes it angry.

i'm not sure what i did this time other than probably should've emptied the cup yesterday as today it was overflowing and once it overflows it really upsets the skimmer
Ok. Skimmer started overflowing again Yesterday. Right after I changed my roller filter fleece. My fleece roll lasts about three months so the time table fits.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Skimmer started overflowing again Yesterday. Right after I changed my roller filter fleece. My fleece roll lasts about three months so the time table fits.

yeah I asked in the tunze forum and the tunze guy said filter pad bad but I only toss it in there if I’m like really messing withthe tank so whatever I can just turn the skimmer off when I do that

I still can’t run mine past like 20-30% air draw for whatever reason. I was running it at like 80%. But it still skims well and I don’t need to clean it every 2-3 days so that’s a plus

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set mine at 50% speed and moved it Up and down in the sump so it’s at the perfect foam consistency. Then o can increase or decrease the speed if I want the foam more wet or dry. I just have to remember to turn it down for a day or two when I change roller fleece

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water level was a big factor in the consistency of the effluent on my AC model. Anything over 6" and the cup filled really fast, below 6", super dry foam. Right at 6", just right. It's amazing what a difference 1/4" makes.

With regards to socks, felts, and floss. They really do cause skimmers to go wild if not rinsed very well in hot water, and the effect lasts for days or weeks, even after the media is removed.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ac model in frag system is sensitive to water level. I run it at 6".
I have to turn off the skimmer if I change the sock as it will overflow if the sump level rises.
DC in 120 I have not adjusted in 16 months of running.
I run 6.5" water and the air on the lowest setting.
I can change sock, work in tank, feed fish, with on issues.
I do not turn it off to feed or clean cup.
If I turn off return pump it may push water out the anti overflow hole but it returns to normal right away.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think once the sock or filter padding has been rinsed good it no longer causes this. That’s been my experience. That’s not possible with roller fleece. So it’s weird that after a day or two its no longer sensitive to it. Maybe the fleece off gasses or something. As far as the water level goes, with AC model you can move outlet pipe up and down a little to make fine adjustments.

Tom Caknakis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you turn down flow on controller - how much it reduce noise? I own older version and became tired of how loud that thing is. Considering purchase newer model with controller, if it help my ears. Thanks anyone for reply

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the noise comes from the secondary filter sock attachment. Kind of a waterfall noise. If you remove that, it’s silent.

Tom Caknakis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the noise comes from the secondary filter sock attachment. Kind of a waterfall noise. If you remove that, it’s silent.

Nope. I talk about low frequency vibrations and similar noise. I have a lot of sound deadning in my sump comparment, so I cannot hear water splashing, but trought floor can hear those "low noise" - no matter there are 3 layers of sound isolation under the sump

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. I talk about low frequency vibrations and similar noise. I have a lot of sound deadning in my sump comparment, so I cannot hear water splashing, but trought floor can hear those "low noise" - no matter there are 3 layers of sound isolation under the sump
Something is up with yours because mine is nearly silent. The only sound mine makes is a very slight suction sound on the air intake. What's it sitting on in the sump? I removed the stock bumpons and have it sitting directly on a small cutting board to elevate it 1/2". I thought without the bumpons it would transfer vibrations but it doesn't at all. Try a silicone trivet underneath if you haven't already.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get some suction noise from my 9430 but not really the 9410 certainly no vibration noise.

Retgals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few questions. I bought a second-hand 9410 AC and it doesn't come with a filter sock. Do I really have to have Tunze's or are there other brands / types that fit? I see that the silencer is under water on all the videos on YouTube and here I read that it must be above water. How about that now? Can you also control the height of the water in the skimmer without using the adapter with filter sock?

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few questions. I bought a second-hand 9410 AC and it doesn't come with a filter sock. Do I really have to have Tunze's or are there other brands / types that fit? I see that the silencer is under water on all the videos on YouTube and here I read that it must be above water. How about that now? Can you also control the height of the water in the skimmer without using the adapter with filter sock?
Re: the silencer -- It's my understanding that the silencer is supposed to be down low near the pump -- e.g. short tube attaching it to the pump and the long tube going up to the skimmer neck. That's the way I've been running my 9410, it's the way I've seen in most retailer videos, and I'm pretty sure (but not 100% positive) I saw a thread either in the Tunze forum here on R2R over over at RC from @rvitko (US Tunze rep) saying that was the way it's supposed to be set up.

But, considering a lot of pics in this thread show it the other way around (e.g. up above the water close to the neck), I'd guess it works either way.

As for the water height in the skimmer, I do run sockless but have left the adapter ring on the top of the outlet pipe and haven't tried moving it up and down much ... or removing it, so can't really comment much on trying to adjust the water level inside the skimmer with.

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need 12” one way for sure. Because of the pump on the side. The other way has more options depending how you arrange the filter sock. You should be able to squeeze it in at 10”. For sure if you eliminate the filter sock all together which a lot of us do.
I posted on this a while back, i got the 9410 DC originally but concerned that it wasn't enough for a 200g tank so I took advantage of the Black Friday sale to save some $$ and got the 9430 DC, installed it and true to everyone's word it is easy to set. picture is about 24hrs after plugging it in and was still running wet, but never overflowed on me. the only concern was how super loud it was for the first 10 minutes then not a fan if you want to have a filter/screen on the bottom of the pump you need to elevate the skimmer about 1.5" -2" which i did with an DIY egg crate stand. It is also a very tight fit in the sump, I have a very narrow tank but got it in there with still some room for the heaters. (note photos taken at different times but still shows how well it is working the second photo was later, still running wet but I like how easy its pulling all the crap out of the water even though its a brand new skimmer)
20201204_203843[1].jpg 20201206_122754[1].jpg

20201204_203843[1].jpg 20201206_122754[1].jpg

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back