Tunze 9410 DC DOC Skimmer Review

jrlg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those probe holders keeping your egg crate baffle in place? Nice idea
yes I had some extra not being used and one the the things I love about this hobby making something work out of parts, if I ever get a 3-D printer it will be over.....

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread, but do you still have the skimmer?
I just set a 9430 dc up on my 120.
It replaced a 9410 dc that was at its limit.
Here it is 3 days since setup.
This thing is a beast.
If you can, get a dc version, as they are quieter than the non dc.
Like my 9410 you just turn it on and it skims.
One of the most underrated skimmers on the market, imo.
20210408_062627.jpg

Last edited:

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set a 9430 dc up on my 120.
It replaced a 9410 dc that was at its limit.
Here it is 3 days since setup.
This thing is a beast.
If you can get a dc version as they are quieter than the non dc.
Like my 9410 you just turn it on and it skims.
One of the most underrated skimmers on the market, imo.
20210408_062627.jpg
Yep, I’ll never buy any other skimmer. Tunze skimmers do what they are designed to do, skim. No pretty colors or nonsense, just skimming and they do it well with no adjustment.

kcinnick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I’ll never buy any other skimmer. Tunze skimmers do what they are designed to do, skim. No pretty colors or nonsense, just skimming and they do it well with no adjustment.
I just bought a Seachem Division 500, looks REALLY similar to my old Tunze skimmers, I am hoping it is as set it and forget it as the Tunze.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most skimmers work and many work very well. What really sets the Tunze skimmers apart from ALL the rest is their Anti-Overfoaming System which tends to keep the foam production very consistent even as the surface tension of the water/foam changes within aquarium due to nutrients, pollutants, additives, oils etc. The skimmer my 9430DC replaced was a Reef Octopus SRO3000 which was a beast of a skimmer. That had no problem keeping up with my heavy nutrient load. Problem was it would overflow all the time every time I changed the filter sock or added certain additives and even just out of the blue from time to time. Then all the skimate was just dumped back into the tank or overflowed the collection container. Finally the pump locked up and I had to make a decision weather to buy a new pump, impeller or just replace the skimmer. The Tunze's were 20% off so I figured i'd give it a shot. Best move I ever made in my 30 + years in the hobby. I'm interested to see how the new Seachem's skimmer design works out. Competition is great for all us hobbyists. But right now Tunze has no competition as far as their large skimmers go ;)

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a lot of people using the 9340 on anywhere from 120 to 300 gallons. That's a pretty big range. I really want to get this skimmer, but I'm worried it would be a bit undersized on a 275 gallon. I know someone on here has the skimmer on a 262 gallon, but it seems like he's cleaning his skimmer every couple of days.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a lot of people using the 9340 on anywhere from 120 to 300 gallons. That's a pretty big range. I really want to get this skimmer, but I'm worried it would be a bit undersized on a 275 gallon. I know someone on here has the skimmer on a 262 gallon, but it seems like he's cleaning his skimmer every couple of days.
Mine is on a 210 gallon mixed reef with a 65 gallon sump filled half way. I keep it at 50%. I feed two cubes three times a day along with a half nori sheet. It fills up about 3/4 every four days. I do carbon does though so im sure that helps with the nutrients.

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is on a 210 gallon mixed reef with a 65 gallon sump filled half way. I keep it at 50%. I feed two cubes three times a day along with a half nori sheet. It fills up about 3/4 every four days. I do carbon does though so im sure that helps with the nutrients.
Yeah that seems like your pushing the limits already. But I’d rather have a 3/4 cup full every 1/2 week than 1 cup every two weeks. As long as the volume coming out is more. The skimmers seem very efficient, every time I see a picture it looks like it’s kickin butt. Just wish they made one more a tad bigger. But I really think if your remove that much waste every couple of days the skimmer is doing the best job, maybe just need a bigger cup or fit a drain on it.

kcinnick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9430 or 9430DC would be appropriate IMO. I am putting the seachem division 500 on a "310", I think the 9340 is "more" skimmer. This seachem does make some foam though, and contact time is a good, I have it in a 150 tote with 240lbs of Florida Deco rock right now, I just set it up tonight. I was shopping for a 9430DC until I saw the seachem was $375 and looked like a copy, if it doesn't work out I'll get a 9430DC.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9430 dc is rated for a 925 gal.
Take 70% off that for a full sps and its rated for 277 gal.
I will use mine on my upgrade of around 300 gal.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 9410 DC as well and agree it skims well but similar to the original pic I see mine pushes foam out the holes in the lid and at times drains back into the tank if I wait too long between cleanings.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that seems like your pushing the limits already. But I’d rather have a 3/4 cup full every 1/2 week than 1 cup every two weeks. As long as the volume coming out is more. The skimmers seem very efficient, every time I see a picture it looks like it’s kickin butt. Just wish they made one more a tad bigger. But I really think if your remove that much waste every couple of days the skimmer is doing the best job, maybe just need a bigger cup or fit a drain on it.
I’ve got room to spare as I’m only running the pump at 50%. If I had a bigger load I’d raise the skimmer an inch and increase the pump Speed to 100%. Would be nice if they made a model between the 9430 and $2000 9460.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 9410 DC as well and agree it skims well but similar to the original pic I see mine pushes foam out the holes in the lid and at times drains back into the tank if I wait too long between cleanings.
The collection cup on the 9410 is extremely small for the amount of work it does. If you like very dark skimate, it's not much of a problem. If you like dark Tea colored skimate, like I do, it needs to be emptied often. I empty mine on my 90 almost daily. It's a trade off I'm willing to do in exchange for the performance I get out of it. That being said, they really should address this. They know it's an issue or they wouldn't make the Foam Extraction Unit that allows the skimate to be drained to a separate container. But it's an extra $125.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The collection cup on the 9410 is extremely small for the amount of work it does. If you like very dark skimate, it's not much of a problem. If you like dark Tea colored skimate, like I do, it needs to be emptied often. I empty mine on my 90 almost daily. It's a trade off I'm willing to do in exchange for the performance I get out of it. That being said, they really should address this. They know it's an issue or they wouldn't make the Foam Extraction Unit that allows the skimate to be drained to a separate container. But it's an extra $125.
Mine came with the foam extraction unit. I don't think I'll ever use it though. I can handle dumping the cup twice a week since it just lifts right off. My only gripe with the 9410 is that the lid hums sometimes. Anyone have a solution for making it seat onto the cup a little more snugly?

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can run it full throttle with this 9015 cup. It's only been on there for five minutes so I'll have to report back. Preliminary observations suggest it's going to work well.
PXL_20210417_013248101.jpg

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good. The additional few inches of height really affords the foam an opportunity to drain. I like the consistency of the skimmate, not too dry, not too wet, just right. The 1300mL capacity is pretty nice too.
PXL_20210418_161740181.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back