Tunze ATO in rimmed tank - How can I raise the optical sensor?

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tunze ATO in my rimmed tank with no sump. I'm using a HOB filter, so I need to have the water level fairly high to not shoot bubbles everywhere.

I need the optical sensor to be about half an inch higher than the rim is letting me put the mount.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to lower the water level, it sucks I know. I had to lower the water about an inch, so now I always hear water trickling from my HOB. The only other way is to cut part of the rim, there are videos on youtube on how to do it, but I ain't doing that. its a great machine, but that is such a terrible design flaw

OP
OP
F

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to lower the water level, it sucks I know. I had to lower the water about an inch, so now I always hear water trickling from my HOB. The only other way is to cut part of the rim, there are videos on youtube on how to do it, but I ain't doing that. its a great machine, but that is such a terrible design flaw

Dang that's what I feared. Not interested in hacking away at the tank.

I'm going to try my hand and fabricating a type of clip that will hang the sensor over the rim.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang that's what I feared. Not interested in hacking away at the tank.

I'm going to try my hand and fabricating a type of clip that will hang the sensor over the rim.
is this a plastic rimmed tank with the optical sensor/float switch setup? I might be able to modify one of my tank brackets.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rough design needs some tweaking. Basically will slip over the plastic rim and secure on the inside. 2 slotted holders in adjustable channel. One for the float shutoff and one for the optical sensor.
IMG_4653[1].JPG

OP
OP
F

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Keep me updated on the process would love to buy one if it works

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made some tweaks and adjustments for size of the float switch etc.
Working on the fit for the sliding holders so they are snug but not impossible to adjust later.
Couple photos.. one off the tank and one on. Looks like you could get the optical sensor to about the top of the tank if you wanted! It also locks on by twisting slightly like it does on the Tunze holder.
IMG_E4657[1].JPG
IMG_E4658[1].JPG

OP
OP
F

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made some tweaks and adjustments for size of the float switch etc.
Working on the fit for the sliding holders so they are snug but not impossible to adjust later.
Couple photos.. one off the tank and one on. Looks like you could get the optical sensor to about the top of the tank if you wanted! It also locks on by twisting slightly like it does on the Tunze holder.
IMG_E4657[1].JPG
IMG_E4658[1].JPG

That looks perfect! exactly what I need... how much? lol

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be interested in buying one as well, I have a rimmed tank and knew that the level would have be lower to work, so that's why I haven't bought an ato yet. Great idea!!

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be interested in buying one as well, I have a rimmed tank and knew that the level would have be lower to work, so that's why I haven't bought an ato yet. Great idea!!
Thanks :) Some minor tweaks on the fit of the slot in the bracket and the stem on the two holders and maybe increasing the length a little on those two pieces to allow a little more flexibility in sensor and float positioning.

Send a message and we can finalize everything.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back