Tunze Nano ATO Product Review

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
After installing Tunze's Nano Osmolator on his Innovative Marine Nuvo, Matt is convinced this ATO would be perfect for anyone with a nano-sized tank!

READ: Tunze Nano Osmolator 3152 Product Review

Tunze-Nano-Osmolator-3152-99.jpg

photo+5.JPG

photo.JPG

photo+3.JPG

photo+2.JPG

MORE MARINE DEPOT NEWS

Last edited:

MacKrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm actually looking for a auto top off so this was helpful. Thanks. But I'm stuck between this and the auto auqua smart auto top off. What do u think? I knw any of the two be better then manually doing the top off daily...

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what actually makes this ATO a "nano" model. As far as I'm aware the main difference is the lack of back-up float sensor compared to the 5017 (which is the first picture in this post and on the blog - might exchange that to avoid confusion), and the simpler controller (no status LED's). The 3152 utilizes the on-board computer "max on" time to prevent floods (which the 5017 uses as a third back-up). Is there anything wrong with running one of these on a larger aquarium?

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what actually makes this ATO a "nano" model. As far as I'm aware the main difference is the lack of back-up float sensor compared to the 5017 (which is the first picture in this post and on the blog - might exchange that to avoid confusion), and the simpler controller (no status LED's). The 3152 utilizes the on-board computer "max on" time to prevent floods (which the 5017 uses as a third back-up). Is there anything wrong with running one of these on a larger aquarium?

The Tunze Nano Osmolator 3152 allows you to adjust voltage to the pump which controls the fill rate (rate at which the pump pushes water). Therefore, it makes it more suitable for nano aquariums with the slower fill rate capabilities.

Being that this fill rate is adjustable, you can certainly utilize the unit on a larger aquarium without a problem. Just be sure to increase the voltage settings so the maximum fill time does not shut-off the pump pre-maturely.

-Robert F.

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm actually looking for a auto top off so this was helpful. Thanks. But I'm stuck between this and the auto auqua smart auto top off. What do u think? I knw any of the two be better then manually doing the top off daily...

Both of the units are getting great reviews from our customers.

The Smart ATO will not work unless the glass/acrylic on your tank and the sensor itself is kept clean . It relies on light passing through your aquarium wall so any kind of build up inhibiting light passing through, will cause a failure.

The Tunze is a bit bulkier with the extra controller and cords, but comes in at a better price point and still includes a pump. It utilizes a classic float sensor which probably will not need to be cleaned as often as the Smart ATO.

I hope this helps and feel free to send us your thoughts/questions.

veselym

View Badges
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about it is, you can really only use it on an AIO tank like the biocube or nuvo's that have a back chamber...or a sump where the water level is not up towards the rim

I wish there were a bracket made for this that could raise the float out of the water for people not using AIO tanks or sumps

If you don't have a sump/AIO tank, you can't get the float high enough on a rimmed tank

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about it is, you can really only use it on an AIO tank like the biocube or nuvo's that have a back chamber...or a sump where the water level is not up towards the rim

I wish there were a bracket made for this that could raise the float out of the water for people not using AIO tanks or sumps

If you don't have a sump/AIO tank, you can't get the float high enough on a rimmed tank

Tunze USA does still carry a Holder Set but you would not gain much space. After speaking with Tunze, they stated the magnets will allow you to get the sensor closer to the rim when compared to the Holder Set.

I would imagine,however, with the parts in the Holder Set linked above you could come up with DIY way to attach the sensor at a higher level. Some silicone or superglue would work just fine.

Last edited:

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
The Tunze Nano Osmolator 3152 allows you to adjust voltage to the pump which controls the fill rate (rate at which the pump pushes water). Therefore, it makes it more suitable for nano aquariums with the slower fill rate capabilities.

Being that this fill rate is adjustable, you can certainly utilize the unit on a larger aquarium without a problem. Just be sure to increase the voltage settings so the maximum fill time does not shut-off the pump pre-maturely.

-Robert F.
Thanks for clarification, Robert!

I wholeheartedly believe the Tunze ATO is best in the business, and have installed many 5017's.

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
I went with auto aque smart ato had it for like 3 weeks now love it

That's great to hear! Sometimes it takes a while for a product to catch on, but the Smart ATO was pretty popular right out the gate. :nerd:

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Mine's a disaster!! I'm so disappointed with this my 3rd Tunze. I put this on for a week long vacation. Had only a few days to run it to make sure it worked and just keep pumping and pumping and pumping. Totally overfilled my tank!! This is the 2nd of 3 Tunze products to totally disappoint. I was a huge Tunze advocate until this last experience.

Jonsie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I was just looking into this ~ Thanks for the informative write up!

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Guys if you're looking for ato.this's the one i have 2 currently used in my 29g biocube tanks

MacKrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Yeah I having a hard time to decide between this and the smart ato. What u think? How big is the actually float valve? In a 14g biocube not much room to work with that's why I was kinda leaning towards the smart ato. But not many reviews out there on them, and tunze has always built some quality stuff for aquariums. It be great if I could test it out first, lol;)!

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Here're both of my 29g biocube hqi with tunze ATO
tunze ATO nano 3152 and 3155.
both mounted on return side

typicaltony

View Badges
Reaction score
Mine's a disaster!! I'm so disappointed with this my 3rd Tunze. I put this on for a week long vacation. Had only a few days to run it to make sure it worked and just keep pumping and pumping and pumping. Totally overfilled my tank!! This is the 2nd of 3 Tunze products to totally disappoint. I was a huge Tunze advocate until this last experience.

i was having the same prob, tunze told me it had to do with the magnet interferring with the float sensor so you will need to add a spacer between the tank and outer magnet. since then ive had maybe 1 incident where the pump kept filling past thesensor and it only stop bc it filled past 5 mins n the program had auto shut off in place

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back