Tunze Nano Osmolator - What is its max volume replacement per day?

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze says its Nano Osmolator is good for up to a 55g tank. I would assume it's talking about total volume. I would think that Size of the tank does not matter as much as knowing the typical evaporation rate and if it can keep up with that volume in a day.

Does anyone know how much volume they will replace per day max?

I have one from my previous nano and would like to try it out on my Reefer 250. Yes, already tired of the Red Sea ATO LOL. I don't want to set it up and not have it work as it should.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many factors go into the amount of top off needed, it all has to do with evaporation. I have 6 tanks from 29 to 210 gallons set up with ato. I use fans to cool during the summer and some rooms in my house reach 85 degrees when I'm away, so obviously a high volume of evap. During cooler times, less evap; winter times tanks are covered and very little evap.

My 40 breeder goes through max summer about 3 gallons a week, my 125 almost 10. I think the rating for the ato is based on the amount of time the pump is triggered to fill a certain size aquarium. So the average amount of water being evaporated from a 55 gallon aquarium to trigger the float switch allows the pump to run a certain amount of time before timing out. So it's more about the individual time run to top off instead of the total volume over a day or week.

So it's really about the pump output for the ato system you are using, the tunze nano uses a small dc pump.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PiscesPower

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many factors go into the amount of top off needed, it all has to do with evaporation. I have 6 tanks from 29 to 210 gallons set up with ato. I use fans to cool during the summer and some rooms in my house reach 85 degrees when I'm away, so obviously a high volume of evap. During cooler times, less evap; winter times tanks are covered and very little evap.

My 40 breeder goes through max summer about 3 gallons a week, my 125 almost 10. I think the rating for the ato is based on the amount of time the pump is triggered to fill a certain size aquarium. So the average amount of water being evaporated from a 55 gallon aquarium to trigger the float switch allows the pump to run a certain amount of time before timing out. So it's more about the individual time run to top off instead of the total volume over a day or week.

Thank you for the input. I understand the mechanism, and know what my personal evaporation rate is for this time of year. I think you have stated the same question I am asking just in a different way. The pump will pump a certain volume per minute, up to its limit. It works out to a specified maximum volume in a day. I was hoping someone knew what that was off hand, rather than me having to calculate it out. I'm sure I can get the Tunze variables, then its just a matter of the math, and I just am not a math fan. I know there are many folks out here that thrive calculating this stuff out.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I just put a bunch of jumble in my answer, sorry.

The pump used for the nano is based the amount of water necessary to refill the tank after the float switch is triggered. So it's based on a 55 gallon tank. This can happen as many times a day with no limit. The point is, it is not based on per day; it is based on per top off. The ones specified for larger tanks, uses a larger pump. If you try and use a smaller option for a larger tank, it will likely not refill the amount necessary; and the pump will time out without refilling the proper amount.

Back