Tunze osmolator 3155 on a reefer 350 v3 sump

emjayreloaded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone has experience with using a Tunze 3155 osmolator on a reefer 350 v3 sump? The return chamber is sitting against the support in the middle and leave no room for the outer magnet of the osmolator.

The only option would be sticking the outer magnet under water in the first chamber where the water enters the sump. I am not really a fan of this after reading all kinds of horror stories of the so called waterproof magnets rusting.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I don’t have one. The only thing I came across was a post in a thread where an owners sold the sump over as far as possible to get the magnet in? Maybe see if you can pm the member to see how it worked

Thank you both. You are both right. It needs to go in the return chamber - this is my first sump, im glad I asked for help! Im not sure its waterproof? Its the Tunze 3155. My first water change will be next weekend - im going to drain the sump and move it over as close to the door hinge as possible. This will give me just enough room to mount the magnet on the outside right of the return pump chamber. I will still use the ato tank included w/ the reefer and run the line up to dump fresh next to the overflow box.

Clabern just checked out your Reefer 250 build - looks great! How did you post a link to your tank in your signature? I cant figure that out either :).

SteveEreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same setup. If you can use tongs or long tweezers to put the magnet between the support and outside the glass sump.
1324A636-ED3E-432F-8B27-4D4E9512A8CB.jpeg

Twotone24v

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put mine in through the first chamber and hadn't actually thought about the potential magnet issue. I will have to keep an eye on it. It's definitely possible to slide the sump forward just enough to put the magnet on the outside but I already had my sump full when I bought my ato.

OP
OP
emjayreloaded

emjayreloaded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same setup. If you can use tongs or long tweezers to put the magnet between the support and outside the glass sump.

Thanks for that, my tank is still cycling so it won’t be much hazzle to drain the sump and slide it a bit over to the left side.

Krully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read from Tunze that the magnets are supposed to be the same so using the exterior one underwater shouldn’t be an issue.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back