Tunze osmolator 3155 starts pumping every time I plug it in

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OmuNegru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed the 3155 in the filtration chamber of my 5 gallon reef tank. I usually test my water salinity with a hydrometer and now every time I displace water to fill the hydrometer the ato starts filing my tank with.... freshwater :(..... And worst, most of the times above the safe level triggering the alarm. I thought about unplugging the ato while I take water for the hydrometer and starting it back after I put it back in the tank. But guess what: when I plug it back in it starts pumping anyways, like the sensor doesn't even matter. Is it possible to be something wrong with the sensor or is it just its normal behaviour? Could someone else please test this and let me know if it does the same thing? Unplug and plug.
Thank you!

sylvius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a normal part of the startup diagnostics to run the pump for like 15 seconds. For most tanks it’s not enough water to matter but if on a small tank I think there’s a nano tank setting you can switch to.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open it up (2 screws on back of case) and turn the red pump speed knob counterclockwise to nano. That way it put the least amount of water in when it primes

that will help, but it will still produce too much water for a 5g.

I would try and change or swap it for the nano Tunze, or be ready to catch the water when the pump turns on.

OP
OP
OmuNegru

OmuNegru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open it up (2 screws on back of case) and turn the red pump speed knob counterclockwise to nano. That way it put the least amount of water in when it primes
Already done that. Still too much water so it triggers the alarm. I'll probably have to switch to a refractometer.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The solution is to put a small valve on the end of the hose to further restrict flow.
lg_821078_13653Z.jpg

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed the 3155 in the filtration chamber of my 5 gallon reef tank. I usually test my water salinity with a hydrometer and now every time I displace water to fill the hydrometer the ato starts filing my tank with.... freshwater :(..... And worst, most of the times above the safe level triggering the alarm. I thought about unplugging the ato while I take water for the hydrometer and starting it back after I put it back in the tank. But guess what: when I plug it back in it starts pumping anyways, like the sensor doesn't even matter. Is it possible to be something wrong with the sensor or is it just its normal behaviour? Could someone else please test this and let me know if it does the same thing? Unplug and plug.
Thank you!
This is what i do after i unplug my Tunze for maintenence and plug it back in......I plug the unit back in and once it starts to pump water i lift the float valve to shut it off and hold the float valve up until the alarm comes on. I let the alarm ring for about 15secs and let the float back down and then it stops the pump from turning on again until it is below the sensor. Easy peasy! :)

OP
OP
OmuNegru

OmuNegru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what i do after i unplug my Tunze for maintenence and plug it back in......I plug the unit back in and once it starts to pump water i lift the float valve to shut it off and hold the float valve up until the alarm comes on. I let the alarm ring for about 15secs and let the float back down and then it stops the pump from turning on again until it is below the sensor. Easy peasy! :)
Super very useful hack indeed!
Really appreciate for sharing. That's what I will do next time.
Thank you, Anthony.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be a difficult one for a 5 gallon, usually I would use a Nano Osmolator in this case as the regular Osmolator is generally designed around systems from 50-400 gallons. The best bet is Nano speed and turning down the flow further with the valve as pointed out above. Be careful that the float works, on thin glass the magnet holder can prevent the float from working since it is a magnetic switch and the magnetic field won't be sufficiently cancelled out on anything under 3/16" thick, a shim may be needed, scrap acrylic being the best bet.

OP
OP
OmuNegru

OmuNegru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be a difficult one for a 5 gallon, usually I would use a Nano Osmolator in this case as the regular Osmolator is generally designed around systems from 50-400 gallons. The best bet is Nano speed and turning down the flow further with the valve as pointed out above. Be careful that the float works, on thin glass the magnet holder can prevent the float from working since it is a magnetic switch and the magnetic field won't be sufficiently cancelled out on anything under 3/16" thick, a shim may be needed, scrap acrylic being the best bet.
Too late for the Nano Osmo. Already bought the 3155, which is working perfectly fine so far, without any magnetic interferences. I'll keep it, as it will be used in my next (future) build. Thank you for the shim tip though. I will be adding it just in case.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back