Tunze Osmolator 5000.02 Pump Power Supply/Draw

Uncledazza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to run 2 Osmolator pumps from the same power supply. Can someone tell me what the pumps draw running at 9v DC? I have a switching power supply that is rated at 2000mA and wil top off 2 tanks. I have two power supplies. I will be running 2 12v relays triggered with 2 sets of float switches on each tank. I was hoping to trigger the two relays with one 12v power supply and use the other to power both pumps set on 9v.

Thanks

Darran

OP
OP
Uncledazza

Uncledazza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To Answer my own question and to share with the community the team at BRS and Tunze replied as follows;

"The pump speed is set by voltage, 12V is full power, 9V will work but slower, 6V is the bare minimum to work. At 12V each pump can draw as much as 1200mA. The Osmolator only lets the pump have a max of 1200mA before detecting it as a failed pump and cutting off power to the pump."

I used a couple of the pumps for my DIY top off on both of my quarantine tanks using 2 float switches wired in series and a mechanical float valve for each (double redundancy). I used a switchable 3-12 V power adaptor set at 9v for the power to the Tunze and a 24v power adaptor for 2 relays that control the pump via the float switches. A cheap digital timer switches the power on for one minute every 4 hours (which is another level of redundancy). Both of the power supplies and the timer control both of the top offs. I did think to add solenoids so that I could run it all of one pump, but did not want to over complicate it. I do have my DOS adding ALK & CAL to both my DT and quarantine using solenoids, buts a different story. If there is interest and anyone would like me to post pics or either of these projects, just let me know.

Skyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This old thread was useful to me, note Max of 1200ma is an actual 1200ma at 12 volts. I have 1000ma adjustable adapter it will run the pump at 9v but not 12v.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back