Tunze Safety Connector and Apex Power Outage not working

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Apex 2016 and have connected 2 old Tunze 6095 to the Apex using the Apex Tunze Y connector. I have also connected the 2 pumps to a Tunze Safety connectors so when the power goes out, the pumps will still work. However, when they are connected to the Apex using the Y connector, when the power goes out, the pumps just stop. As soon as I disconnect the y connector going into the pump, the pump starts running off of the battery. Why/how is the Apex preventing them running off the battery?

Many thanks for any help.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Apex also powered when the power is out?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Tunze controller is set to external control and it looses that signal it will turn off.

OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies for sounding dumb, but what do you mean when you say "Tunze controller is set to external"? As these are very old pumps, they have no controller attached to them (unlike the new ones). The control cable attaches directly into the Apex using the y connector.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was assuming they were ones with the controller but I would also assume they still need a signal from the Apex to run. A 0 volt signal = off.

Maybe @rvitko can help you.

OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are right. Its a long shot but is there anyway to change this without having to provide the Apex power as well?

OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not think so. Why not power the Apex also.
I use 12v batteries to power the pumps and they will last 48 hours. I assume I would need a ups for the Apex and cannot run it off the 12v batteries? If so, a UPS is another cost but also will not last as long as the 12v batteries.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 12v batteries to power the pumps and they will last 48 hours. I assume I would need a ups for the Apex and cannot run it off the 12v batteries? If so, a UPS is another cost but also will not last as long as the 12v batteries.

OK. I did not know that. On my P4 I just have a 12 volt hooked up to the battery to keep it running.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would generally just use a small UPS to buy enough time to manually intervene and disconnect the Apex cable.

OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would generally just use a small UPS to buy enough time to manually intervene and disconnect the Apex cable.
I work away a lot so I want to have something that does not need any manual intervention. It is sounds like I need to remove the control of the pumps off of the Apex which is a shame. I just wish it would disconnect completely from the pumps to they just ran at their default speed rather than to off.

Back