Turbinaria heronensis/reniformis ID

killergoby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received this frag from WWC labeled as a Blue Heron Turbinaria. In person it looks dark blue to violet, and the polyps are bright green. I think this is a Turbinaria reniformis (probably the WWC purple scroll turbinaria) but I haven't had a blue heron turbinaria before and the growth pattern isn't enough to easily distinguish species to me. I am not upset with having a different turbinaria per se, but the two species originate from drastically different water depths in the wild and so that makes a difference to me with regards to placement. Images were taken day of receiving (Friday) and tonight under ATI Blue plus T5's. Even under natural sunlight, the polyps are green and the base is purple or very dark blue.

IMG_6863.jpg IMG_6900.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

I‘m not great with specific names. Looks great. See if anyone tonight may know.

DocRoz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received this frag from WWC labeled as a Blue Heron Turbinaria. In person it looks dark blue to violet, and the polyps are bright green. I think this is a Turbinaria reniformis (probably the WWC purple scroll turbinaria) but I haven't had a blue heron turbinaria before and the growth pattern isn't enough to easily distinguish species to me. I am not upset with having a different turbinaria per se, but the two species originate from drastically different water depths in the wild and so that makes a difference to me with regards to placement. Images were taken day of receiving (Friday) and tonight under ATI Blue plus T5's. Even under natural sunlight, the polyps are green and the base is purple or very dark blue.

IMG_6863.jpg IMG_6900.jpg
I just got in a purple scroll turbinaria from wwc and it looks basically identical besides the polyp spread. Mine is purple/violet with bright green polyps. Got it from their live sale a few weeks ago

20201013_144800.jpg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is with companies and some reefers acting so nillie willie with what they call Red, blue or yellow corals these days. Seems like everyone has went color blind. :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back