Turbine Duo 9k issue - this pump is a dog

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxspect team

I have an issue with my new Turbine Duo 9k. I purchased one of these pumps a few months ago. Last night I got around to plumbing one side to my display, and the other to a manifold for a chiller, a couple frag tanks, reactors, etc.

With the pump set to manual mode, on 10 (set to 90% in the settings) I'm getting 250ish GPH with a 3.5ft head to the display tank. The pump that was already in there was RIO 12HF pump rated at 750gph that would give me 550gph.

I disassembled and reassembled and get the same results. Am I missing something, or do I have a defective unit?

Dave

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They advertise over 1000gph at 5ft head, so that certainly sounds disappointing to me- perhaps defective. However, many hobbiests that now have flow meters are noticing that the performance of their DC pumps is very mediocre and below advertised.

OP
OP
DangerDave

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going back and forth with their support rep. It’s a real pain in the butt interfacing with them. I entered my ticket into the maxspect support portal. I received one response by email, and they went dark. I went to portal a couple times, nothing. Reached out on Facebook to them and was told to put a ticket into coralvue. I entered a ticket there and the details from my maxspect ticket was there.

They are basically telling me my current plumbing is insufficient (1” OD pvc with 3/4 ID silicon tubing as a vibration damper). Previously I ran a cheapie rio pump rated at 750 gph and was getting 550 Gph.

So fair warning, the Maxspect 9k duo is a DOG of a pump, and in my opinion their support is substandard.

It looks like I’m going to have to chalk it up as a loss and a lesson learned.

Dave

OP
OP
DangerDave

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was able to resolve the issue with the pump, I ordered a new rio from amazon! I’ll put the old rio back in and will use the new one for the manifold.

Good luck reefing and stay away from the turbine!

GaZZaW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wish id seen this before i got one.. I got the 6K model because i only need about 500 gph as stated on the box 790 at max flow and 60inch head... 1 inch hose no manifold nad using the Y connector. im lucky if its pumping 100 gph. what did you do with yours ?

John Hathaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You all had a lucky escape, mines a pile of crap. Just done a water change and it’s over heated and cut out. What a waste of money.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wish id seen this before i got one.. I got the 6K model because i only need about 500 gph as stated on the box 790 at max flow and 60inch head... 1 inch hose no manifold nad using the Y connector. im lucky if its pumping 100 gph. what did you do with yours ?
In the garage where all bad purahses go to stay.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for posting this. I was seriously considering them for my return pumps on my new builds. I'll stick to my Rios. I'm still on my original after 3.5 years and it has never, EVER, been cleaned or even out of the return chamber of my sump (also packed with detritus/sponges because it has also never been touched since being initially set up).

csmaxspect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thanks for your support.
Regarding this issue, may we know what's the firmware version of your TD9K Controller? The firmware version usually flashes when you turn on the controller. Like the picture belows, it is FIrmware 2.3
TD9K firmware.png

And if the controller is with firmware lower than 2.3. Please kindly help to update the firmware to the newest firmware and have a check.

We have the newest firmware on our website, please kindly prepare a micro SD Card(TF Card), and follow the methods as shown in below link:

And the link to download newest firmware for Turbine Duo is in below link:

Please kindly help to update the firmware and check if the newest firmware could solve the issue.

GaZZaW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello csmaxspect.
my firmware was v1.8 and I have upgraded to V2.4 by the way its a TD6K
there was a small improvement but doesnt come anywhere near the stated specs on the maxspect info.
at max flow setting 10 I measure approx 150 gph way below my expectancy at a head height of 47 inches.
I have opened a ticket with maxspect and is now in the hands of my dealer.
very dissapointed.

Last edited:

csmaxspect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello csmaxspect.
my firmware was v1.8 and I have upgraded to V2.4 by the way its a TD6K
there was a small improvement but doesnt come anywhere near the stated specs on the maxspect info.
at max flow setting 10 I measure approx 150 gph way below my expectancy at a head height of 47 inches.
I have opened a ticket with maxspect and is now in the hands of my dealer.
very dissapointed.
Hi sorry for your dissapointment. Actually we tested the GPH flow with a Diameter 4.2cm soft pipe, and there is not any small angle elbow, in the height of 1.5m, and we have 5600 L/H measurement, which is even 600L/H larger than 5000L/H that we are advertising. So may we know what is the diameter size of your pipe? The water flow could be affected by the size of the pipe.

GaZZaW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my hose is 25mm straight through using the standard connectors supplied. see picture.
42 mm is rarely seen in aquariums and even so the restriction by using 25 mm hose shouldnt be so drastic (presumption)
this fact , by the way, is nowhere to be seen on maxspects info. even if i got 2000 l/h i would have been happy. but 600 l/h.. not good.

F. in water with hose approx 50cm.jpg

Oscar Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pump is garbage and Maxspect knows it. I bought one early this year too and never gave me any power. I too open up a ticket with them and even return the pump to have it checked out and all they do is blame it on your plumbing. I just wish I can send it back to them and get my money back. Its still new on the box. I try to sell it and people will not even take it for free!!!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.0%

Back