Turbo Snail Hitchhiker fast??

tpirovol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

So I brought home some turbo snails, cyreth snails and Margaretta snails.

My typical process is to have them all in the lfs water and then scrub them with rubbing alcohol (shells) and then move them to a drip of lfs/main tank water.

Today I noticed from one of the turbo snails a 3x small things fell out. 2 died and one survived. My son tried to kill it but it took a while as it was small, fast moving and smart.

?? what could have come from a turbo snail that was fast, deceptive and very small (size of a medium/large copepod) Sorry don’t have a photo he squashed it :)

Thanks T

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably an amphipod or copepod. Harmless detritus and algae eaters, so put any more that show up into the tank.

1652573995716.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Snails need a typical acclimation and no need to scrub snails. Using alcohol is/was a death warrant for them.
You can use 3% hydrogen Peroxide safely but bleach and alcohol are beyond asking for trouble.
As far as the 3X objects, without pictures will be impossible to assess but possibly pods

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with 45 day QT for 2 Mexican turbo snails that I just added just to be safe.
My motive was avoiding fish-related parasites/diseases so hydrogen peroxide and scrub of the shell is probably not fully effective for that,,, although I did peroxide+scrub also.

The other problem with just scrub/treat the shell only is all the water (and who knows what else) inside the snail's shell cavity.

OP
OP
T

tpirovol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a full QT on 2 hobbies but with snails you drop them in qt and if there is a hitchhiker he will just hide under something else and you might not catch it?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a full QT on 2 hobbies but with snails you drop them in qt and if there is a hitchhiker he will just hide under something else and you might not catch it?
True,,, but if you see something you don't want in your tank, you at least have a chance to act.
Honestly, hitchhikers were not ever my concern on snails.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back