Turbo's Aquatics Algae Scrubbers: Rev 5 Status & Rev 4 Availability

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gen 3 LED boards went back to the drawing board around Thanksgiving unfortunately. We thought we had the solution, but the tech was not as smart and effective as we thought it was (and that the manufacturer said it was). However this was not a complete setback, and it actually led me to a slightly better and more long-term flexible solution. It would actually allow multiple solutions, meaning, you could dim the LEDs with an RF remote, with a knob, push-buttons, or an external signal (PWM or 0-10V) much more easily and also without changing the lights.

So things are still moving along...but continuing with the "not as fast or as planned" path.
And still not taking preorders, right? (I am on the interest list already)

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some general updates in this newly posted thread

Here are the first couple that are most pertinent to this thread

1) Current Algae Scrubbers:

We have a long list of people who have been VERY patiently waiting for a Rev 4 "Ding & Dent" scrubber. We currently have 10 L4s and 20 L2 in the build process and these will be ready to ship by the end of next week. I'll be contacting you if you are on my waitlist!

2) Next Version: Rev 5

This is still moving forward, but issues with the new LED board design are still causing the final design to drag behind. We're estimating 3-6 months until release.

3) CWT Aquatics merger (absorption)

Some may not be aware, but I was also part-owner of CWT Aquatics - sumps built around Algae Scrubbers (both mine and Clear Water Scrubbers). As of last year, I'm 100% owner (mutual/amicable buyout) and on 12/31/21, CWT Aquatics was officially merged into Turbo's Aquatics.

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some general updates in this newly posted thread

Here are the first couple that are most pertinent to this thread

1) Current Algae Scrubbers:

We have a long list of people who have been VERY patiently waiting for a Rev 4 "Ding & Dent" scrubber. We currently have 10 L4s and 20 L2 in the build process and these will be ready to ship by the end of next week. I'll be contacting you if you are on my waitlist!

2) Next Version: Rev 5

This is still moving forward, but issues with the new LED board design are still causing the final design to drag behind. We're estimating 3-6 months until release.

3) CWT Aquatics merger (absorption)

Some may not be aware, but I was also part-owner of CWT Aquatics - sumps built around Algae Scrubbers (both mine and Clear Water Scrubbers). As of last year, I'm 100% owner (mutual/amicable buyout) and on 12/31/21, CWT Aquatics was officially merged into Turbo's Aquatics.
We desperately need a preorder for Rev 5 :p (I know you don't take them, I asked you maybe 10 times..)

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are on my waitlist and haven't received an email from me, check your junk/spam folders. I've resorted to by backup gmail account, and now I'm stalking tracking people down here on R2R, IG, FB, you name it...

Here's what I know:

If you use Yahoo, hotmail or AOL, you need to understand how to actively whitelist someone (through the browser login, the stuff on "their end"). Yahoo is the bane of my existence.

If you use any Apple-based email: they don't let you whitelist, they decide what emails to send you, and they don't show you a "spam" folder. Emails just go into the nether. iCloud and the like are the bane of the bane of my existence.

Gmail is not too bad. Please consider getting a gmail burner account.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Production update: I've heard back from almost 90% of people on my interest/wait list, Rev 4 discounted L2s and L4s have been shipping out by the next day

L2s: I'm caught up on my list for anyone that wanted an L2 and have units in stock ready to ship.

L4s: I'm nearly caught up on this list, with more units in the build queue that will be available by the end of next week or earlier. After that, there will be a bit of a lag until the next batch (but likely only a few weeks).

Rev 5: Moving forward. Patent process initiated. Once that is further along, I'll start revealing a few things.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short version: Unfortunately, this ^^ still applies.
I've been away from posting for a while but it's awesome to see you still around and still working at advancing your design.

My Rev 4 L8 is still doing amazing. Even with my botched up job putting the fittings in the wrong order. Realized what I did right after it had already set....wish I could do that over again. lol

IMG_20230901_203151690_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an update.

Disclaimer: I haven't posted anything about the following on any social media and I would prefer to keep it that way. I'm not even going to share this thread/post on my business Facebook page. If anyone has any questions or anything, feel free to post in this thread, PM me here or on FB Messenger, text, email, etc...just not publicly on Facebook

First, I want to thank all my existing customers for their enthusiasm and support. Second, I want to thank all of my potential customers for being so patient & willing to wait for the Rev 5 or even a discounted Rev 4.

The TL;DR version: I'm still in business but I have surgery in a month to remove a recently diagnosed cancer in my throat (tonsil), 6-7 week recovery, and 50/50 on radiation. Plus I probably also have thyroid cancer. This all follows a generally really bad year or so. As a result, I've had to focus on my family, my health, and my engineering consulting business (my primary income). It's entirely possible that Turbo's Aquatics as a whole stays on the back burner for 6 months or longer.

Now the way longer version.

Rev 5 development has had roadblocks for the past few years. Most of the Covid related issues like production shutdowns and expensive & long shipping timeframes have passed, but those and other setbacks (too numerous to both going into in detail) just kept pushing the timeline back further and further.

In January, Arkema/Trinseo (the manufacturer of the Plexiglas brand line of products, which a lot of tank & sump builders use) decided to shut down their plants in North America without warning. This threw a wrench in my plans to roll out a new line of sumps and keep making my ATOs. That forced me to re-evaluate my use of my workshop space and I decided I needed to scale back. That was March, and I only found someone to sublease out my space this month - during that time I was just bleeding cash.

Turbo's Aquatics (including the former CWT Aquatics) have never been my 100% full time all-the-time gig. My primary source of income has always been engineering. Up until mid-2018, that was my full-time day job. After mid-2018, I was running my own show as a "lone eagle" (along with a few part-time retired guys); this was because of a failed merger/acquisition.

Towards the middle of this year, a major engineering project that had been stagnating for over a year took off, and I had to strap in for the ride. That took up 100% of my time for several months (and still going).

Meanwhile, I was preparing for a tonsillectomy after finding a swollen tonsil in mid-July & being told it was tonsillitis or an abscess. Right about the time that it seemed like I was catching up on everything (end of August) my ENT diagnosed that tonsil issue as cancer.

September was pretty rough. 2 biopsies, a PET scan, 2 CTs, an ultrasound, 3 different oncologists, and an emotional roller coaster.

But the good news is that it was caught early enough to be removed surgically, odd on chemo are very low, odds on follow-up radiation 50/50. Also, the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics (1.5 hours away from me) has the best head & neck cancer treatment center in the US. Hopefully, is has not spread to lymph nodes but they're going to take out 2-3 dozen and check (a few lit up on PET scan)

I was originally scheduled for 2 surgeries in Nov/Dec, but something opened up in late October for both at once. Then I got Covid (and was fully symptomatic). That meant 4 weeks minimum before I can go under, so it got pushed back to mid-December.

Meanwhile, my thyroid biopsy (for a nodule) came back "not not cancer". Thryoid biopsies are weird in that if you don't have cancer, it tells you that. However if it's anything else, it might be benign, it might be malignant...dunno!! "So let's just take it out". Further gene testing in process but at minimum I'm expecting to need 1/2 of it removed.

As things sit today, I'm focusing on getting all my engineering projects squared away so that everything can stay afloat during recovery. The recovery is basically 2 weeks of the worst throat pain you can imagine and then 4-5 weeks until "full recovery" which means eating solid food. Then, who knows if I'll need PT for anything post-surgery. Then, radiation (dependent on tumor & lymph node pathology). Then, thyroid.

As for Turbo's Aquatics:

Rev 5:
On hold. I'm not even going to think about moving it forward again until I have a handle on recovery and any other surgeries or treatments

Rev 4 discounted units: On hold. I have parts, I can make more. The holdup is that I still need to finalize my LED boards, but once that is done, I just have to sit down and assemble. I may have physical limitation due the neck dissection. So we'll see.

Next Generation Sumps and ATOs: On hold. My shop space lease will be up at the end of March, so if I can't find another smaller space for my laser cutter and other production equipment, these might get pushed off even further. I did finally find a source for clear & black 1/4" acrylic but I am actually still waiting for my supplier to get that material in stock. It has been 9 months since I have been able to find black 1/4" cast acrylic at a decent price and of acceptable quality. For all of you wondering why my ATOs have been out of stock for so long, that's why.

Customer Service Requests & Issues: I'm going to try my best to get these all taken care of by mid-December. But honestly I don't know if I'll get to everything.

That's it for now

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Time for an update.

Disclaimer: I haven't posted anything about the following on any social media and I would prefer to keep it that way. I'm not even going to share this thread/post on my business Facebook page. If anyone has any questions or anything, feel free to post in this thread, PM me here or on FB Messenger, text, email, etc...just not publicly on Facebook

First, I want to thank all my existing customers for their enthusiasm and support. Second, I want to thank all of my potential customers for being so patient & willing to wait for the Rev 5 or even a discounted Rev 4.

The TL;DR version: I'm still in business but I have surgery in a month to remove a recently diagnosed cancer in my throat (tonsil), 6-7 week recovery, and 50/50 on radiation. Plus I probably also have thyroid cancer. This all follows a generally really bad year or so. As a result, I've had to focus on my family, my health, and my engineering consulting business (my primary income). It's entirely possible that Turbo's Aquatics as a whole stays on the back burner for 6 months or longer.

Now the way longer version.

Rev 5 development has had roadblocks for the past few years. Most of the Covid related issues like production shutdowns and expensive & long shipping timeframes have passed, but those and other setbacks (too numerous to both going into in detail) just kept pushing the timeline back further and further.

In January, Arkema/Trinseo (the manufacturer of the Plexiglas brand line of products, which a lot of tank & sump builders use) decided to shut down their plants in North America without warning. This threw a wrench in my plans to roll out a new line of sumps and keep making my ATOs. That forced me to re-evaluate my use of my workshop space and I decided I needed to scale back. That was March, and I only found someone to sublease out my space this month - during that time I was just bleeding cash.

Turbo's Aquatics (including the former CWT Aquatics) have never been my 100% full time all-the-time gig. My primary source of income has always been engineering. Up until mid-2018, that was my full-time day job. After mid-2018, I was running my own show as a "lone eagle" (along with a few part-time retired guys); this was because of a failed merger/acquisition.

Towards the middle of this year, a major engineering project that had been stagnating for over a year took off, and I had to strap in for the ride. That took up 100% of my time for several months (and still going).

Meanwhile, I was preparing for a tonsillectomy after finding a swollen tonsil in mid-July & being told it was tonsillitis or an abscess. Right about the time that it seemed like I was catching up on everything (end of August) my ENT diagnosed that tonsil issue as cancer.

September was pretty rough. 2 biopsies, a PET scan, 2 CTs, an ultrasound, 3 different oncologists, and an emotional roller coaster.

But the good news is that it was caught early enough to be removed surgically, odd on chemo are very low, odds on follow-up radiation 50/50. Also, the University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics (1.5 hours away from me) has the best head & neck cancer treatment center in the US. Hopefully, is has not spread to lymph nodes but they're going to take out 2-3 dozen and check (a few lit up on PET scan)

I was originally scheduled for 2 surgeries in Nov/Dec, but something opened up in late October for both at once. Then I got Covid (and was fully symptomatic). That meant 4 weeks minimum before I can go under, so it got pushed back to mid-December.

Meanwhile, my thyroid biopsy (for a nodule) came back "not not cancer". Thryoid biopsies are weird in that if you don't have cancer, it tells you that. However if it's anything else, it might be benign, it might be malignant...dunno!! "So let's just take it out". Further gene testing in process but at minimum I'm expecting to need 1/2 of it removed.

As things sit today, I'm focusing on getting all my engineering projects squared away so that everything can stay afloat during recovery. The recovery is basically 2 weeks of the worst throat pain you can imagine and then 4-5 weeks until "full recovery" which means eating solid food. Then, who knows if I'll need PT for anything post-surgery. Then, radiation (dependent on tumor & lymph node pathology). Then, thyroid.

As for Turbo's Aquatics:

Rev 5:
On hold. I'm not even going to think about moving it forward again until I have a handle on recovery and any other surgeries or treatments

Rev 4 discounted units: On hold. I have parts, I can make more. The holdup is that I still need to finalize my LED boards, but once that is done, I just have to sit down and assemble. I may have physical limitation due the neck dissection. So we'll see.

Next Generation Sumps and ATOs: On hold. My shop space lease will be up at the end of March, so if I can't find another smaller space for my laser cutter and other production equipment, these might get pushed off even further. I did finally find a source for clear & black 1/4" acrylic but I am actually still waiting for my supplier to get that material in stock. It has been 9 months since I have been able to find black 1/4" cast acrylic at a decent price and of acceptable quality. For all of you wondering why my ATOs have been out of stock for so long, that's why.

Customer Service Requests & Issues: I'm going to try my best to get these all taken care of by mid-December. But honestly I don't know if I'll get to everything.

That's it for now
Oh man! That's a rough year! Praying for you! I'm sure you'll pull through like the champ that you are!

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope your surgery went well, or will go well if it hasn't happened yet. You've definitely had a rough year.

I can't speak to tonsil cancer, but I had 1/2 of my thyroid removed back in 1987 for nodules and they told me the biopsies showed it was cancer. Been fine ever since. Never needed radiation or chemo and no residual effects at all. Actually had my second baby just a year later. I hope your thyroid situation goes as well.

I was on your list for a Rev4 a few years ago but wasn't ready yet. I hope I'm still on your list as I may be ready to pull the trigger when your Rev 5 comes out in 2024 sometime. Maybe I'll send in another form just to be safe.

Sending good thoughts your way for a speedy recovery.

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the surgery on Tuesday. 6 hours & pretty invasive so I spent a day and a half in the hospital, back home Thursday and "trying" to take it easy. This is one of the first messages I've posted. Based on how many times I've re-typed words in this one message, I'm definitely not allowed to drive anywhere anytime soon. Ok back to the couch (for real)

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So happy to see you posting. I've been thinking and praying for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

Back