Turbo's Aquatics Algae Scrubbers: Rev 5 Status & Rev 4 Availability

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the rev 4, his scrubbers are definitely worth the money!

57232383-2599-4686-BC06-F2B162FF72B7.jpeg FAC250AD-E709-4D54-9504-D6AB4B145993.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TA Background Fadeout 2.png

APRIL 2020 UPDATE:

Insert boilerplate "COVID-19 has totally hosed my plans" statement. Yes, right now everything has come to a screeching halt; truth be told, I was running behind on the design, kept coming up with better ideas and solutions, and got very busy with other things in life as well.

In mid to late March, when everything really hit the fan, I re-purposed my workshop (which has a full size 100W industrial laser cutter) and I started making Face Shields for Medical Workers and Emergency Management groups. Short version, I'm completely slammed. And in true engineer-businessman fashion, I have developed a good product at a decent price, compared to a lot of other companies making there (of which there are now quite a few).

So until this crisis is over, I'll be making 10,000-30,000 Face Shields per week. Everything else is on hold. Sorry about that. If you gotta move on, I get it. But still, Rev 5 will be worth the wait. Honestly I think the Reef Aquarium hobby is going to come to a screeching halt for 6-12 months, so I'm pulling back and making sure I can keep a roof over my family's head and food on the table for now.

If you are interested or know anyone in the health care world that would be interested in high quality, cleanable and reusable Face Shields at a fair price, have them visit my website at

www.ppefaceshields.com
PPE Large 150.png

Yeah, I scored that URL big time, can't believe it was available. I had to check my spelling of "shield" like 20 times, then I bought the version with "sheilds" as well, just in case.

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi bud, I hope you and yours are well amidst these very testing times. How are things going with the rev 5? Are you still on target for production to start late April? You need to keep posting more teasers as i'm getting soooo restless. Can't way to see the final result in all of it's glory.
I am still moving forward with the Rev 5 design. As time passes, I think it's just getting better. Some things happen for a reason. Unfortunately, I don't have a solid bead on when production will actually begin
Like to know as well...just sent you an email to get on your list ! ;)
You're on the list!
Following as I'm interested as well.
IMG_3700.JPG

I have the rev 4, his scrubbers are definitely worth the money!

57232383-2599-4686-BC06-F2B162FF72B7.jpeg FAC250AD-E709-4D54-9504-D6AB4B145993.jpeg
Thanks!!

U

User1

View Badges
Good update. Hopefully everything works out and your retooling will help you and your family out. Not that that was the primary reason as it is really hard for small private businesses to do so. Ford, I understand. Smaller one man shops - that is tougher and also riskier unless money isn't an issue.

In either case thanks for pitching in. I know they are needed as policies and procedures are still changing daily. Wish you all the best.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still looking forward to the Rev 5 but if the money is else where you gotta go with the money. Don’t blame ya.

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still looking forward to the Rev 5 but if the money is else where you gotta go with the money. Don’t blame ya.
Contrary to what some people might think, I don't make a ton of money building scrubbers. I have my own consulting engineering company (only me, work at home, several part-time/retired employees) and that pays the bills. The goal was to ramp up Algae Scrubber production and make that something I could potentially rely on as well, over time. It still could, but now is just not the time. I'll shift my focus to making 100% sure I have the best design possible rather than rushing through it just to make it an income stream - now is not the time for that.

As far as the Face Shields go, I saw it as a way to help, as well as a hedge against whatever is coming down the economy pipeline for the next couple years. Engineering isn't going away, but volatility means there is great potential for uncertainty. I'm just not one of those guys that can sit around and say "well I guess there's nothing to do for a while" - I'd go nuts.

It's definitely been one of the most interesting things I've dove into. There are a lot of people DIYing medical devices all of the sudden, all over the world. Some of the things I've seen posted are whackadoo, some are actually pretty good.

I've encountered a wide variety of situations. Some places are very proactive in obtaining PPE. Other places take what they have, lock it up, disallow staff to use it for purposes where they normally would, and don't let their staff try to find, buy, or even make their own. My wife's ex husband's wife was in this situation, she had no protection and had 2 patients wet-cough on her who later tested positive. Just this past Monday, they started allowing staff to procure their own PPE and I immediately gave her half a dozen shields. She couldn't even use ones that I would have given her for free prior to that.

Some places are waiting for free PPE from emergency management (county, state) but anything they buy on the open market (which is now the wild west...they can get it from anyone) is subject to FEMA reimbursement, so there's no reason to wait - unless they can't handle waiting on FEMA reimbursement, or aren't eligible. So basically, I'm working for FEMA and so is everyone else selling these.

I've been getting input from clients as well as people in the vaccine/virology industry to come up with a design that is actually functional and comfortable. Pretty much everyone else is making triage gear to "fill the gap" but they are all using sponge foam that it technically single-use. The environmental impact of incinerating millions of face shields and other medical equipment is going to be insane - it's one of the reasons I'm striving for a quality reusable face shield.

U

User1

View Badges
The environmental impact of incinerating millions of face shields and other medical equipment is going to be insane - it's one of the reasons I'm striving for a quality reusable face shield.

This one bit here is really important and overlooked. It isn't a time of war when some things can be an acceptable trade off. The environmental impact as you put it will be interesting to watch over the coming months and years in our landfills.

Even if you can get 5 or so uses it is better than one and done.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you’ve halted production on scrubbers but I’m curious if we are still able to order the square mounting rails?

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kyle Bruin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along as I 100% want a V5 when you are able to return to production. Two questions, will any of the changes of the V5 affect compatibility with the CWT sumps (am I able to safely purchase that in the meantime)? Has the work you’ve been doing on PPE for COVID affected production/operations at CWT?

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along as I 100% want a V5 when you are able to return to production. Two questions, will any of the changes of the V5 affect compatibility with the CWT sumps (am I able to safely purchase that in the meantime)? Has the work you’ve been doing on PPE for COVID affected production/operations at CWT?
Wouldn't hold your breathe ... he's moved on. Got a Rain2 ...

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't hold your breathe ... he's moved on. Got a Rain2 ...
I've hardly moved on, I don't know where you're getting that from. I just put it on hold temporarily. I will very much be producing the Rev 5, it's just going to take a bit longer than anticipated. Read the rest of this thread and you will see that I stated exactly that.

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along as I 100% want a V5 when you are able to return to production. Two questions, will any of the changes of the V5 affect compatibility with the CWT sumps (am I able to safely purchase that in the meantime)?
None of the changes will affect compatibility with the CWT Sumps. I'll make sure of that, since I also make those :cool:

Has the work you’ve been doing on PPE for COVID affected production/operations at CWT?
I've pretty much put my entire normal life on hold. I'm barely even touching my engineering work (which is my main normal income source). I've been putting in 12-16 hour days every day for the last 2 months. The only day I took off fully was Sunday because of Mother's Day.

Kyle Bruin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've hardly moved on, I don't know where you're getting that from. I just put it on hold temporarily. I will very much be producing the Rev 5, it's just going to take a bit longer than anticipated. Read the rest of this thread and you will see that I stated exactly that.
Yah I didn’t know what to make of his claim. You’ve got a lot going on with your PPE efforts. I do hope things change and allow you to get back to at least some of your normal activities. Hats off to you for helping with the crisis.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 16.7%
Back